650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Mounting pod filters

Mounting pod filters
    Forum Index -> Fuel
grizld1

PostPosted: June 30, 2005, 10:20 am    Post subject: Mounting pod filters

Here's a tip for riders mounting K&N or other pod air filters. The stock air box supports the backs of those hefty carbs. When you go to pods you lose that support, and as you can see from many posts here and elsewhere, the carb. boots aren't the strongest items in the XS650, so it's a good idea to bracket the carbs and replace the lost support. It's a quick job to run an L-bracket from the bridge plate between the carbs to a breather box bolt on the head.
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: August 5, 2005, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting pod filters

Thanks for that info I was thinking about that the other day. I got a set of filters a month ago and was going to install them soon.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: August 5, 2005, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting pod filters

You're welcome! The Yamaha 650 Society Smoky Mountain rendezvous is set for late September in your part of the world, hosted by Camden Price, one kinghell ace wrench. If the rain don't fall and the river don't rise, I'm planning to ride (not trailer!) to it. Check the Rallies button on the 650 Soc. web page for contact info.; the dates given were a little ambiguous, so I'll be calling Camden for specifics. Nonmembers are always welcome at Society rallies; it'd be a gas to meet you if you can make the run.
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: September 13, 2005, 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting pod filters

If the run is happen-in then I'llbe there!
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: September 14, 2005, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting pod filters

It is indeed. There'll be a Friday run for early arrivals on morning the 23rd, when I'm planning to roll in. Most folks will arrive Friday night for Saturday riding. The meet's at the Tally Ho Inn, 8314 State Hwy. 73, Townsend, TN; phone (865)448-2465. I'll be riding my Zook SV650 out. See ya there!
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: September 14, 2005, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting pod filters

I know the area well I lived there for 4 months in the little river village camp ground just outside the entrance to the park. I rented a river front spot and parked a 16 foot terry traivel trailer and detoxed from miami for 4 months. When winter set in I moved up the road to Doc's motel and rented a cabin for the next 6 months or so before moving to Knoxville to work for the phone company.

I better get working on my bike if I'm gona be there!

Photo Gallery
Taiji_Dat

PostPosted: January 2, 2006, 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting pod filters

Thanks for the tip grizld1, I just read your post. Would you happen to have a photo you could post so we can see how yours looks?
What did you use? etc.
Thanks,
David

81 XV 750 Virago
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: January 3, 2006, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting pod filters

Sorry, David, don't have a scanner or digital camera, but it's easy enough to describe. With the stock carbs, measure a perpendicular line from the carb. bridge to a lower breather box bolt and drill a big enough hole for a 5 mm. machine screw on that line. Run a simple steel L-bracket from the hole in the bridge to the breather box, resealing the breather box bolt with a bit of Teflon tape and a copper washer under the L-bracket. It doesn't have to be real heavy stock; you're not holdin' up an elephant or a Harley Diddlesum.

With the VM 36's now on my scoot, I hooked a U-bolt around the frame backbone and used it to mount a shelf cut from aluminum angle stock and padded with thick urethane gasket material to prevent metal-on-metal chafing. It supports the carbs under the floatbowls, and has cutouts to clear the floatbowl plugs and allow access to the mains.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1