650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Redo my wheels.

Redo my wheels.
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Redo my wheels.

Over the winter I'd like to get my wheels really looking good. Take them off and remove what looks like old clearcoat? Is that what it is? What is the best way to remove it? I read somewhere laquer thinner..?? Then the spokes. I'd like them to shine. Best way to clean them? If they clean poorly what is the next step? Like aluminized paint or re-spoke or what? I want them to look good.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Redo my wheels.

Yes, the wheel rims, along with most of the other shiny alloy parts (fork lowers, rear brake plate, left & right engine covers, etc.) are clear coated from the factory. Once it starts chipping and flaking off, corrosion grows under it and you can't clean it off. You must strip it first then usually do some sanding to remove the corrosion. I use just plain old paint stripper, any brand will do. Next comes 320 dry then wet, 400 wet, buff on my buffing wheel with rubbing compound, then Mothers by hand to finish. Yes, it's lots of work. If you're lucky enough not to have many corrosion stains, then you can skip most of the sanding, just doing stained areas. Fine steel wool dipped in Mothers does a nice job on the not too bad areas. I carefully file, then sand smooth, any nicks around the outer lip from tire changes as well.

If the spokes have turned all gray, you probably won't get them silver shiny again, just gray shiny. I'd just replace them. You can't beat the $26 sets from Mike's. Stainless is the best but costs at least 3 times as much. The cad plated ones will look good for years if you keep them clean and maybe wax them occasionally. I've got 2 seasons on mine so far and they still look like new.

I say the pics of your bike and it's a fine example of the '77 Standard. This model has become one of the most desirable 650s out there. Getting those wheels spruced up will be icing on the cake and really make the bike stand out.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Redo my wheels.

Is it hard to re-spoke wheels?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo my wheels.

Actually, no it's not. Although it appears to be a daunting task, as long as you get a few needed tools and have some patience, it's not that hard. Being a winter project, you'll have the time and each wheel you do gets easier. Shops usually charge anywhere from $50 - $100 per wheel so you'll also save lots of money.
geezerbiker

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo my wheels.

5twins wrote:
Actually, no it's not. Although it appears to be a daunting task, as long as you get a few needed tools and have some patience, it's not that hard. Being a winter project, you'll have the time and each wheel you do gets easier. Shops usually charge anywhere from $50 - $100 per wheel so you'll also save lots of money.

Do you have a link that would show how to do this?
5twins

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo my wheels.

See the recent "Relacing Wheels" thread in the "Drive" section. There's a link there.
murph

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo my wheels.

I've been looking into doing this my self... www.physiology.usoutha...wheel.html Doesn't seem that hard.
1983 xs650sk:sold
1979 xs650f:parts
-1979 xs400
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1