650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Removing Electric Start???

Removing Electric Start???
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
wacko

PostPosted: October 7, 2007, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Removing Electric Start???

Anyone remove their electric start and use kick only? I have a 80 xs650 and was wondering how complicated this would be? Any opinions welcome. Pics would be great.
cswanson

PostPosted: October 8, 2007, 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Electric Start???

Not hard. If you know where your starter is you can just disconnect the black wire from the starter relay, then unbolt it. However, make sure you drain your oil first or else you have a unpleasant surprise when you crack the starter seal. Once you get it off there will be a hole that you can do a couple of things with. . .
1) You can go to your local auto parts store and find a rubber plug and cap it off. I know Orielly's has plugs that fit perfectly for about $3.
2) Buy the starter block off kit from mikesxs.net.
I have seen both work perfectly.

PostPosted: October 8, 2007, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Electric Start???

Another alternative is to use pre 72 engine cases, they had no electric start. Just so happens i have a set.
wacko

PostPosted: October 8, 2007, 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Electric Start???

Thanks for the replys. I may just leave it as is but i will check out mikexs. What are you asking for the pre 72 cases?
royfisk

PostPosted: October 8, 2007, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Electric Start???

Im open to offers.
JDoza

PostPosted: October 10, 2007, 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Electric Start???

cswanson wrote:
Not hard....
1) ...You can go to your local auto parts store and find a rubber plug and cap it off. ....I know Orielly's has plugs that fit perfectly for about $3.

You wouldn't happen to have a part # or some kind of Brand/Size of the plug would you?
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 10, 2007, 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Electric Start???

you can tap threads in it and use a 1/2" plug
bigcam59

PostPosted: October 22, 2007, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Electric Start???

I've still got the electric start still in, but not wired or hooked up. It's been Kicker only since I've had it and never had a problem starting it.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1