650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Just moved in... dead 82 650? kill it or rebuild it?

Just moved in... dead 82 650? kill it or rebuild it?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
mikeonbike1962

PostPosted: October 10, 2005, 7:31 am    Post subject: Just moved in... dead 82 650? kill it or rebuild it?

Good morning. My brother in Vero has a 650 and he doesn't want to see it die (some emo attchment here). It's been on his porch for years and has ALL the problems of a non running bike including rust & corrosion. He suggested I take it and revive it to sell. I'm thinking $500 in parts and 40 hours my labor for a bike that may be worth $1000 or less even in florida. ... or am I even kidding about the $1000?? I just got over an 1982 gs850 and it's now in the trader this week. The difference is it's an 850, and in great visual shape.

Maybe this should be a poll, but would you do it?? Maybe no strings attached, it might be a good street figh.. beater, yeah street beater for myself.

I'm thinking tank/petcock/carbs/filter r/r; tires; some engine gaskets; brake r/r. and lots of spray bomb paint and seat cover. Oh hell, the bikes just plain old.

So I ask, what would you do?

mike
zman

PostPosted: October 10, 2005, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just moved in... dead 82 650? kill it or rebuild it?

its a labor of love for most of us when it comes to the 650. you can put more into them then you can get out of them for shure. i personaly havent messed with bikes for 10 plus years but i recently bought a 650 to restore just for fun. parts for your 82 are still plentifull and inexpensive so you could realise a working bike faily cheap.
if its free and you have the time to tear it apart why not? theres nothing better for the man brain then digging into a motorcycle, then painting , buffing ,scrubbing it back together.
so in my opinion. take it home and when you can take parts off when you have time. and rebuild it.
good luck.
jeff
Phred

PostPosted: October 12, 2005, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved in... dead 82 650? kill it or rebuild it?

If you can get it for free, why not?!?! With the ailments you mention, you might consider what many of us have done or are doing to our bikes-chop/bob. The xs650 is a perfect candidate, the drivetrain is often mistaken by the masses for a Triumph (Hell, I know Harley owners who think every chopper they see is a Harley). Hit the swap meets, get cheap parts that can be made to fit, make what you can't find, and ride.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1