650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > A question for all Windshield Cleaning / Care

A question for all Windshield Cleaning / Care
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: October 8, 2005, 5:58 am    Post subject: A question for all Windshield Cleaning / Care

A question for all the people running Windshields, What cleaning and polishing techniques do you use? From my understanding it's not good to use any product containing alcohol or amonia, like window cleaners. I use to use Pledge type products but I hear they have alcohol or amonia in them as well. Maybe a quality wax to help bead rain and keep the bugs from becoming one with the windshield?
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: October 8, 2005, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for all Windshield Cleaning / Care

I clean acrylic (Lucite, Plexiglas) or polycarbonate (Lexan) windshields (and face shields too!) with plain ol' water as recommended by the manufacturers. Wet it down and let it soak for a bit to loosen up the bugs, crud and bird poop. Then just scrub it gently with a soft wet rag, use lots of water and be gentle! Polish with another soft dry rag (old t-shirts work great). If it's really dirty a solution of mild dish detergent will soften up the crud a little faster without damaging the windshield. Plexiglass scratches very easily so be extra careful when scrubbing. Lexan is hard and doesn't scratch quite as easily but the scratches are nearly impossible to remove whereas on the softer Plexiglass fine scratches can be easily polished out with jeweler's rouge.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: October 10, 2005, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for all Windshield Cleaning / Care

Last night I installed the full size windshield on my XS11 in preparation for the cold weather to come and noticed some minor clouding due to PO putting his gloves on top of the instruments and scratching the shield. That's when I suddenly remembered how we polished plexiglass on airplanes in the Navy...good ol' NeverDull metal polish. This is the impregnated cotton wadding that comes in a can. A few minutes work and my shield was a good as new. This stuff is the ticket for getting the cloudiness out of your windshield and for keeping your brightwork bright.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1