650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Binding front caliper?

Binding front caliper?
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Binding front caliper?

Hi, guys...

I'm still waiting for parts to sort out my flooding issue, but some of the other issues I'll need to address are a wild speedo needle, tight clutch lever (have a new cable to install first - have not yet had the bike in gear), and a possible binding front caliper. Bike has not been on the road for about five years, but was stored indoors.

I know I'll have to replace the brake fluid, but how does one identify a binding caliper? The wheel's not locked, but it makes a "moaning" sound around most of the circumference of the disk, as though one of the pads is touching it. The brake lever does operate the brake with very little movement, and no apparent leaks. I just didn't want to take the caliper apart if I don't HAVE to.

Thanks!

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Binding front caliper?

These bikes are so old that most need their calipers and MCs disassembled and cleaned by now. Just do it. The caliper is stone ax simple, just one moving part - the piston. Pop it out using compressed air, clean all the goop out, especially the square groove the seal ring fits in, and reassemble lubing everything with clean brake fluid.

Edit - Wait, I take some of that back. You have the older style caliper with 2 pistons so you have 2 moving parts. Still pretty simple, though, and actually supposed to be a bit better stopper than the newer single piston units.
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Binding front caliper?

Twins, thank you! I hope you don't mind if I have more questions when I actually do it. Smile

TC
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Binding front caliper?

Might as well get new seals if you are going to take it apart. I would try flushing the brake fluid first though. If the PO took decent care of it, it may be alright. If rebuilding it scares you, you may be able to take it off, and bring it to a brake shop (with the kit), and have them rebuild it for you.
Photo Gallery
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: September 14, 2007, 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Binding front caliper?

You can also "pump" the piston out with pressure from the brake lever, just be sure to keep the resevoir full. The brake fluid probably needs to be changed anyway, so you kill two birds with one stone.
Check the piston for pitting. If it is pitted very bad, it probably will leak, some minor pitting may work fine.

Wayne
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 18, 2007, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Binding front caliper?

Well... one of them seems to "moan" or drag the disk around most of the disk's circumference, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Seems like it might be sticking in a position nearer the disk surface? Hmmm.

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1