650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Steering Damper Mounting??????

Steering Damper Mounting??????
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Steering Damper Mounting??????

Has anybody bought and mounted the steering damper that Mike's sells? I'd appreciate it if anybody has some pictures of how they did it.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

With dampers of that type, one end usually mounts to a clamp on one of the downtubes of the frame, and the other end to a 2-piece assembly that slides into the bottom of the steering head, secured by means of an eccentric which locks into place when the bolt holding the 2 pieces together is tightened.

That having been said, an XS650 with a well tuned suspension won't have issues with head shake.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

It just seams to me that if I installed this thing the way I've seen it on other's bikes, Its travel is too short.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

Hey Griz are you saying all modern sport bikes don't have well tuned suspensions? I believe all of them come with a steering dampner. Or, is the XS just slow enough not to need one?
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

the stock setup for 1970 to 1973 xs 1 xs 2 and tx650 all had downtube squeeze type steering dampers. The fork size at 34mm is a little small and they did not handle that well. that and the plastic brushings in the swing arm and the roller bearings in the head all contibuted to wobble

If you are looking to mount one of mikes dampers they sell the fork mount I believe it's $20. If you look in the aero stitch catalog they sell a stainless steel mount in there acessories section that can be used as the frame mount if you don't want to tack weld a mount to your down tube of the frame.
Having said that
grizld is correct if you have the suspension setup correct unless you are racing no steering damper is needed. there are lots of this you can do to correct your setup. buy some progressive springs they sell emulators to help dampen the fluid. my suggestion would be read up on it.

cheers Kyle
Photo Gallery
orangeguzzi

PostPosted: September 9, 2007, 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

i bought it, i mounted it, i will tell you how.

buy the damper
buy the fork tube clamp, i used 35 mm
buy extra clamp, 35 mm
buy 1 each 8 mm screws
1 each 8 mm wave washer

attach the damper to fork clamp with the wave washer between the damper body mount stud screw flange and the fork clamp. put some grease on the threads, do not tighten, you want the the threaded stud to swivel in the fork clamp hole.

attach the clamp and damper assembly to the right down tube as high as possible

mount the fork clamp on the left fork tube

attach the damper with the 8 mm screw and tighten

leave the two fork clamp a little loose, until you get them located in the correct position- full left turn & full right turn of front end. then snug up.

i have mine mounted this way. i have redone the the swing arm bearings, head bearings, fork springs and rear shock, and fork brace. i was really surprised at how much differents a steering damper made. i can adjust the damper while riding. it can be adjusted from a floppy feel to a smooth, solid feel.

i am no a computer expert-show/explain the picture posting process and i will post some pictures. or maybe i will post the pictures in the photo area
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 9, 2007, 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

the problem i had posting pics they were too big, pull up the pic go to edit and select strech scew nfrom the image menue and put in a lesser amount till it fits in the screen bout 30 40%. Then it should post no prob.
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 9, 2007, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

I had a feeling it would have to be mounted diagonally and it was how I mocked it up. I had only seen XSs with the damper mounted right down tube to right fork tube before. The damper from Mike's isn't long enough to do that and give you full travel from right to left.

As for posting pictures, the easiest way is to use the 'add attachment' function in the 'post reply' section of the forum thread your in. If you usually use the 'quick reply', just click preview instead of submit. When it takes you to the preview screen you can attach a picture there.
Photo Gallery
orangeguzzi

PostPosted: September 9, 2007, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

three pictures of damper insalled
Photo Gallery
orangeguzzi

PostPosted: September 9, 2007, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

i'll try again
three pictures of dampers installed
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: September 17, 2007, 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Damper Mounting??????

INXS650, that is not what I'm saying. Not all modern sport bikes are equipped with dampers, and those that are need them not because the suspension isn't well-tuned but because a machine that's built on a track paradigm (smooth pavement, minimal rake to quicken steering, heavy nose weight to counter air foiling at extreme speeds) is going to be severely challenged under real-world conditions. That's why a well set up XS650 with a good rider in the saddle can wax a Ninja with twice its horsepower on a rough twisty road. With enough lift in the rear and drop in the nose you could cut effective rake on the XS650 enough to make things sufficiently twitchy to require a steering damper.

BTW, I also have a modern machine--Zook SV650 with Ohlins double-clicker, Race-Tech emulators and springs. No damper because there's no head shake.

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1