650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 27, 2007, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

XSKID...
Another realistic approach I thought of would be to enlarge the existing fins on the cylinders....This would increase dissapation and be in the realm of possibility... look at those punny fins......another 20 degrees off the cylinders in the summer would put it right in the ballpark...Maybe 3/4 to 1 inch front and sides and more in the back because of less air flow..Welded on in sections and smoothed ....Maybe a couple of strips on the sides of the lower 2 head fins to match the enlarged cylinder fins.....Wish I was a welder it would already be done.......Also been thinking about institutionalizing myself lately.......

If wishes were horses....beggars would ride....

John
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: July 27, 2007, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Yup, the time I have after today is going to go SLOW so I will really try to figure this all out, better cooling that is. Being locked up is one of the single worst things to happen in life. We need other humans so badly that when you screw up they take you away from the rest of them. Its even hard for a socail anxetic to be locked up.

I know I screwed up, I know its my fault, and I know I have to just get this over with.

Thanks xsjohn, you are very wise with XS650's and seems like your that way in general though. I will try my damndest to keep sane through all this. But you know what thinking too much does... XS Interceptor! Laughing

Enjoy the rest of the summer for me everyone!

XSKID
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: July 27, 2007, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Hang in there, XSKID - it will pass, and you'll learn from it. We'll be here when you get back, and who knows.. with all that time, you may come up with ideas that will blow us all away!

You've got some serious talent. Have an uneventful time... and hope to hear from ya soon.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: August 24, 2007, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Hey everyone, I'm back!

I was gone 28 days and my brother continued with some small things on the bike, but... he chopped my cafe header! Rolling Eyes Now its gonna be plan B with a dual pipe set with slash cut megaphone mufflers! I am getting a new wire harness for it, running a 120 rear tire on it, and finish the welding.

I don't care for the looks of the welds but my bro fitted a 2006 R1 muffler to the bottom of the bike! it affords some sick clearence! I bought some carpenters knee pads for $4 at harbour freight and my brother works apolstrie so he is going to make them into some useful sliders for over my leather pants! Knee Twisted Evil draggin' Twisted Evil time!

I am hell bent on my next project, a 1982 yamaha Maxim 750! Twisted Evil Time for a turbo euro fighter! No use f-ing with the XS engine farther than an ignition and a nice valve train and hot cam. I will leave the big numbers to the guys who bore em' out. I am going for response in "XS Interceptor" and sick acceleration (power numbers) with the "Maximum".

I have turbo'd 4 cylinder carbie motors, so, this should be a breeze to make a turbo maxim. I got out this morning, and I think it was an omen, but, I saw the bike in the pics at the motel by the gas station my brother and I stopped at!-(from 500+ft!) It was godlike in the morning sunrise, covered in dew, in all its glory...

xs omen 001.jpg
 Description:
If you own this bike, I have more pics if you want them! I love it! The essence of XS!
 Filesize:  178.63 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

xs omen 001.jpg

xs intercepter (pics for ben) 009.jpg
 Description:
President and Founder of T.O.C. Tuning, my younger brother Travis. ( and reason for my being behind him:) )
 Filesize:  221.38 KB
 Viewed:  282 Time(s)

xs intercepter (pics for ben) 009.jpg

xs intercepter (pics for ben) 005.jpg
 Description:
The most current pic of the "setup", I need some parts and its going for a ride soon! No more tooling around town...
 Filesize:  247.83 KB
 Viewed:  365 Time(s)

xs intercepter (pics for ben) 005.jpg

Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: August 24, 2007, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

xsjohn, I found a guy that would weld the larger fins to the head, I will source out another XS "parts bike" to tinker with the engine on, I have enough spare parts to get one running to the point it can test some theory's on it. I want to see how drastic the change could be, that will be a winter project, I am gonna stud the tires on XS interceptor and take it to the lake and get some loose rear end practice this winter. There is a video on youtube of me on the XS interceptor taking off like I am on fire, enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQj80rbwLRU

Testing on the slippery Kenda 110/18 with 44 tooth rear sprocket, hence the massive wheel spin on launch! I expected a wheelie, got a fat burnout! Sweet none the less!

Forgive me, I have a long way to go, my home made clip ons can be blamed but I know all the fault in the approach to the "slide". No famage to the engine, frame, or controls, just the clip on, and the poor home made brake lever. No big deal, gotta learn to control a bike at the limit before you can ride there.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-HQKQCuy7g
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Sorry I missed your thread first time around, XSKID. Nice job! One suggestion: if you're gonna spring for a performance cam, port the head, and if you have to choose between the cam and porting, go for the porting.

PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Oh wow, I am just awe struck, it looks so... perfect! It screams GP bike, has comfort like a sport tourer, and is just beutiful in the process! Do ya like it? I love it!

xs interceptor 006.jpg
 Description:
Need to do more work, but, its looking so good!
 Filesize:  179.65 KB
 Viewed:  393 Time(s)

xs interceptor 006.jpg

xs interceptor 005.jpg
 Description:
Black
 Filesize:  151.34 KB
 Viewed:  256 Time(s)

xs interceptor 005.jpg

Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: September 2, 2007, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

That's absolutely beautiful work. You've inclined the cylinders forward by what looks real close to 15 degrees, moving that heavy camshaft down and forward, and I'd bet that makes for some sharp, linear steering. Congratulations!

PostPosted: September 2, 2007, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Thank you very much, I was trying to get the center of gravity as low as possible, I want to rival R1 and R6's in the 1st and 2nd gear corners. I know for a fact that my buddy (no skill) couldn't keep with it as an original VF500F when he was on his 06' R1.

Like I had mentioned, it screams GP Bike. I got it turning over yesterday, but it still needs the right battery and some coils. I am still yet to go out for a nice ride on it but the little sprints around the backroads outside of town have proved it is a major competition for most mid 90's bikes in cornering "feel", I need to get it to the track to know how much it really can do.

Thanks again, I am slowing down on this project to pay more attention to the details so it comes together with show room quality.

Ben
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

the only question is what is tipping the engine (and oil level) so far forward going to do to the transmission gears? time will tell I guess
grizld1

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Absolutely no adverse effect at all. Just before the decision was made to cease production, Yamaha built and tested a prototype XS650TT, with a redesigned frame that tilted the engine approximately15* forward, as XSKID has done. The frame design was bought and marketed by Tony Hall in the late '90's. The procedure is tested and proven.

XSKID, the problem with modern sport bikes is that their heavy nose weight (up to 55% of weight on the front wheel) is great at high speed on the track and track-smooth pavement, but doesn't tend to do real well on rough surfaces (the front ends overreact to bumps). When you catch the Ninja and Katana boys on rough technical roads, it won't matter how much horsepower you're giving away--set up the suspension right and you'll be stuck to the line like a slot car, hammering out of the apex while they're fighting tank-slappers and trying to brake at the same time (not a cool state to be in, trust me). Emulator those damper rod forks and you'll love the result.

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Its great to hear someone else agree with the idea of the bike handling great. Tilting the engine forward was not only to achieve a better balance, but also to get the whole package to look like it "FIT" like it should be there. Its a big "What up!" to the R6 and R1 riders.

I ordered the final parts for the bike, $230 worth. the tally for the XS resto and the current project minus bike cost. Was $1300, tires and all.

I will post more about this wild and crazy project in a little bit.

Ben
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: September 8, 2007, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Hey everyone. I got a slight issue at the moment... my parts from mikes XS came, thats the good part. The wire harness is fitting fine everywhere except the coil area. Is it setup to simplifie? Or is it just me?

I had some problems with what the guy that sold this beast to me said was original. That was in the headlight bucket connections. So, I am just weeding through a pile of wires that are sure to have connections, I know I ordered the correct 77' D harness.

Tomorrow may just be "Mad Sunday" as I dubbed it when my first hard ride on the XS was on a sunday, and to also pay homage to the Isle of Man race.

If I get it together by tonight I will post an update about the first ride of it. It should be good.

Ben
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: September 9, 2007, 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

Here it is, MAD SUNDAY, and it runs, rides, and is PERFECT! It needs some carb adjustment but its fully rideable! Gotta sleep so I can go for a real ride. Its 2am. Laughing

Ben
Photo Gallery
Kablazzie

PostPosted: September 9, 2007, 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

It's 5am in eastern TN, and I'm still building a motor....

Make sure you post plenty of video.
XSKID

PostPosted: September 9, 2007, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

I really needed a nap. I just got back from a great ride, just couldn't launch it or take it above 3k. The carbs need a once over and the floats adjusted for the new angle.

The "flick-a-bility" that I wanted from the XS was never like this, (probably more to do with the 16" front tire and adjustable suspension), but I just dont think there was any helping the balance of the XS from the get-go.

I got to ride my first real Super Sport machine a week ago, it was a 2004 Honda CBR600RR, what planet are people on? Where the hell would you even desire to ride one aside from the track? All I could keep doing was riding power wheelies in every gear save for 5th and 6th!

My bike has that same "wanna-wheelie" thing going under hard accel. but its nothing like a newer fuel injected 4 cylinder bike. The one thing it does prove is that it handles better in the way of road manners though. I can turn in on the Interceptor with much more certainty than on the honda. The power delivery is much more managable, probably because it doesnt rev until 13k to make power for 2 thousand rpm.

This bike is as close to a real full fledged Super Sport/ Race Replica I think I need to get in my young life. I bought a new sprocket for it, so the factory honda 44 was tossed into a box and a brand new 36 was put on for the closer to stock gearing. It still wants to do wheelies and spin the tire, its so cool.

I gotta get the carbs sorted out and wire my tail light switches, I will get some film when I get it running right. The R1 muffler may have fouled the current settings, so I will go over it all and get this thing runnning right.

Have a peaceful sunday,

Ben
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

You may need to reangle your carbs to get them to work properly. With the carbs tilted down, they can't pick up the gas like they are supposed to. Do you have the carb holders from the original motor? May try them.
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I started the XS650 "Interceptor" (uh-oh)

They are the original carb holders... its the forward angle of the bike that is causing the carbs to tilt like they are. So what your saying is the carbs need to be level to have full function? If thats the case I can figure out a new way to mount them to the engine so they work.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2