650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > My take on the XS650D

My take on the XS650D
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
XSKID

PostPosted: May 11, 2007, 9:59 pm    Post subject: My take on the XS650D

Hey everyone, I know I don't post much but I prefer to lurk in the back watching whats going on. Well I think I need to share my latest work on the XS.

I looked at ALOT of cafe's and choppers trying to find the perfect match of race/show to make it streetable. This is what I came up with, the bike needs to have nice weight, check, it needs a torque happy engine, check, and it needs to HANDLE!

The XS has everything but the latter and we all know we are never gonna keep up with an eighties honda interceptor of even a newer cruiser on a track or some twistys for that matter.

I needed to do something about it and I don't have alot of money to go throwing around on attempts at making a cruiser a sportbike, but, I am a metal fab/welder so I can do some things the normal do-it-yourselfer may not be able to get for cheap.

I tried everything with the stock suspension but never got the real "flickable" handling I was after the whole time. I know a newer sportbike would suffice but man, I love the XS for all the reasons someone loves their children. Laughing

xs650r 004.jpg
 Description:
New Street-Fighter stance.
 Filesize:  178.83 KB
 Viewed:  4069 Time(s)

xs650r 004.jpg

xs650r 007.jpg
 Description:
It should clean up well!
 Filesize:  177.43 KB
 Viewed:  4064 Time(s)

xs650r 007.jpg

Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2007, 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: My take on the XS650D

Seems a bit extreme to me. I have owned 3 sport bikes in the last 2 years, sv1000, gsxr750, and a hayabusa. The XS does have the flickability you speak of. It reminds me of my SV, but without all the power. Man I wish we had more power. I guess you did the above mods for more cornering clearance? I scrape my kickstand all the time. Still haven't removed it yet.
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: May 12, 2007, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My take on the XS650D

Well, making less rake in the forks would either take designing a new head tube placement or jacking up the back and lowering the front like I did. It doesn't take as much as stock to get it to "flick" between lefts and rights.

The ground clearence was not too much of an issue but when it comes down to it I suppose the higher ride will make it less likely to scrape the chassis/kickstand.

I ride like its a GP race no matter what the speed, ie. hanging off the sides, knees down, tucked in. Twisted Evil

I did it to be diffrent and to try something new, it worked. Laughing

Take it easy!

Ben

edit- I am also 6'2" tall so it makes it more comfortable for me to sit higher!
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: July 19, 2007, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My take on the XS650D

Its lowered back to stock and the forks are back to the regular position, it is goofy looking at it like that, it was only like that for a few weeks anyway.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1