650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > mikes xs

mikes xs
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
Jack

PostPosted: February 3, 2008, 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Roy...........this isn't the first time this I've been accused of this BS,probably won't be the last either Laughing but any way PM your email got some pictures for you. Finally got a chance to flow that head and yes it showed a 10% flow improvement on intakes and can be applied to the exhaust side too. I think you'll be much happier using the VMs also,gotta remember every carburator has their strong and weak points in the fuel delivery curcuits,you just have to focus on improving the weaker ones for an overall performance balance factor.................Jack
royfisk

PostPosted: February 3, 2008, 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

jack I never got a pm. This big bore stuff has me all worked up right now. beleive me I as much as anyone else would love to go big bore but its everything else that is needed to make the dam thing work that gets expensive. $500 spent there is $500 that could be used for real performance. Can you imagine bolting a big bore kit to a stock head port? and cams, carb??? And cams heck that really burns me because any half wit engine builder knows that the cam is the brains of the entire operation of the engine. I like mikes kit and think its cool but I think unexperianced builders are going to be real dissappointed if they dont get it all done. Jack I still am interested in those photos and information. You know experiance is shared freely here, and you can lead a horse to water but you cant force him to drink.
royfisk

PostPosted: February 3, 2008, 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

jack could you send that to
amybowne @ netzero.com
Then I know ill get it thanks roy.

Jack

PostPosted: February 3, 2008, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Roy..........you know what I'm about when it comes to heads,so we won't go there and you gotta remember some cam profiles are just a band-aid fix for the restricted exhaust port. You can easily take Mikes bigbore kit and use a milder cam grind like the shell #1 or the 59A and pump out 60+ hp,you just got use the right head,port it,valves,carburetors and exhaust system and most important the power to weight ratio is where you'll gain the most for the buck..................Jack
royfisk

PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

absolutely jack; Im just trying to bring it to ametures attention that 500 spent on a bigbore and no more $$$$ is kind of a waist cause $500 could be a porting job and cams, etc with excellent power gains. these kits are a great thing but theres more to the build then just jugs and pistons.
wally

PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Adapters for Case Seals

www.xs650.org.au/improving.htm
royfisk

PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

nice wally good stuff.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: May 1, 2008, 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

All I have to say is that if wasn't for people like mike, my bike would still be in three boxes in the corner of the garage. I joined this group to learn, meet new people, and share a common interest, not to listen to a pissing match that reminds me of high school age drama.
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 1, 2008, 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Between Mike's XS and 650 Central a lot of XS650s are now up and running. I am very happy that there are people still willing to make parts and provide service for 30 year old bikes. So many vintage machines have no current support or parts and it causes some marquees to simply die out. Hopefully, that won't happen with the XS.
I have ridden many bikes, but have wanted an XS since they were new. Always loved the vertical twin design with Japanese reliability (my Atlas Norton was no so reliable) and now, after 30 years, I have one. I just want to keep it going.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
midnrider

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

after trying the VM 34 and the BS34 that came on my 81...I put a set of 78 BS38s on (cleaned and jetted of course) and to me, these are the best of em for my riding style...smooth, even, powerful
Photo Gallery
Shannon60

PostPosted: May 11, 2008, 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Has anyone actually used a set of these Delortos on an XS yet?
xsleo

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

a pissing match is almost always gonna happen when you get people with strong opinions together. they can both be right, each person has different backgrounds and experiences. i thank all of the people on here. i have learned very much from all of you. i will continue to learn, maybe some time i will know as much as some of you. but i won't ever know it all. i have asked questions on here and other sites. sometimes the responces conflict. that does not mean one is right or wrong just different viewpoints. on occasion i have added my two cents in on something and have had people jump all over me for it. i don't get pissed ,i just take it in stride. i may go back and further explain why i suggested what i did. and on occassion what i suggest works. that makes me feel good that i helped someone. isn't that why we are here? to help each other? can't we leave the oversize ego's at home? not take offence at real or imagined slights? can't we all just get along?

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Shannon60

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

xsleo look at the dates on the posts hopefully everyone has surely gotten over it by now and maybe get back to the topic thats what i am hoping anyway because i want to find out more on those carbs
xsleo

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

i guess it has been awhile. sorry for the rant. but some times things get me.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

i don't know about those carbs but in my walneck map cycle has single and double 32 mm carb kit's for triumphs. how well would a pair of 32 mm's work? they look like vm's.

Photo Gallery
beys

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

I've been looking up and down the German XS 650 site for answers.

As the guys over here say, a 32 would be widly enough for road use, even 30 if you are looking for torque. A 36 will provide good power, but less torque at lower revs, but will work fine throughout the whole range on a 850cc.
750 Moto Guzzis and Ducatis (not the SS )were originally equipped with 32, 850s and 900 BMWs with the 36, SS Ducatis with the 40

According to the guys you should look for PHBs (they have got accelerator pump), one left side (S=sinistra) and one right (D=destra)
For jetting this
www.thisoldtractor.com...llorto.htm
should be helpful
Let me say that I got no experience for myself.
Hope you can move on wih that!

Z TS 250/1 with sidecar '77
XS 650 Euro 447 Standard '80,
XT 500 '81
XS 650 US 5V4 Heritage '82
Shannon60

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

32mm vms work great good torque and plenty of powere i actually prefer them over others for flattrack racing
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Does anybody here know of anybody anywhere who has ganged three VM34s on an 850 Yammy triple?
royfisk

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

30's and 32's wonder what kind of fuel millage you get out of them? Sounds like what my bag bike needs.
orangeguzzi

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

beys, are you a guzzi owner? i have a 79 sp cafe racer and a 03 aluminum.

as far a carbs go, i ran the stock 34's carbs with uni filters, the 38's with uni filters and yesterday put a set of mikun vmi 34's from 650 central. they were jetted just right for my bike. the seat of the pants test feels like 10 or more horse power gain, less vibration. the uni filters that came with the carbs were very large allowing for better fuel/air mixture. best performance mod to date. now if i could find a nice 2 into 1 exhaust.

on my 79 moto guzzi sp (1000cc 2 cylinder) it came stock with delortos 30mm vhb's with fuel pumps. the engine begs for bigger carb.
Photo Gallery
beys

PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

orangeguzzi wrote:
beys, are you a guzzi owner?

No, I wish I would! I rode my friend's LeMans several times but I'm 6'6'' and never managed to get enough cylinder/knees clearance, so I decided not to buy one of my own!

As there were no answer on the Dell'orto questions, I tried to repeat what the guys in the german XS forum where talking about.

Z TS 250/1 with sidecar '77
XS 650 Euro 447 Standard '80,
XT 500 '81
XS 650 US 5V4 Heritage '82
knightrider

PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

I purchased my mikunis off ebay, i believe speed and sport. they came prejetted according to what tune your engine is and roughly whereabouts on the globe.
ine worked right outta the box on my xs1, very limited amount of fiddling which in my book is uber good!
the throttle response is night and day over the stockers!

The del orttos are sweet looking carbs though!

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2