650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > Top End Work > > Performance Carb Suggestions

Performance Carb Suggestions
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Top End Work
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

I just didnt gain any performance with the 36's I tried,I still had to jet them the same as 34's anyhow!
y 840 will pull 90 mph at 4800 rpm & straight up to 110 mph without effort on 34mm roundslides..& they run smoother on 1/4 to 3/4 throttle
!
If you're not Kenny Roberts,you dont race & gonna ride on public roads 99.9% of the time why spend extra money on 36's ...
They look bloody big 'n ugly too... Wink
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

I guess my idea of haulin ass and yours differ a bit. My streettracker is basicly bone stock with 32 gear in the rear and it does what i built it for, as far as buzzin it to 7500 its a rare occasion running it that hard. I love to tinker with it but as far as modifiying the internals, forget it you cant get enough horsepower to make it worth it. Now if i want to blow my hair back, my brother has a modified hayabusa that i have run 9.87 @ 145 at the strip. Thats my idea of haulin ass.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Finally some good sence.......Now I feel that I'm not alone any more....Although I think you are still geared too low...But that would be ok for checkng the mail if its not to far from home.........

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

My point exactly,my 840 & 750 big-bores are so tourqey I can run an 18 tooth front with 30 tooth rear sprocket, its not about speed (though its there if I need it), more about not straining the motor ie. relaxed sub-5000 RPM. so 34mm's are more than adequate
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Try a top end cooler and you may thank me later.......Just got back from the mountains and if someone tried to snake mine I would pinch a fit.....

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

I don't think brief periods of 7000 plus rpms is damaging at all. Those high rpm's are my shift point. My bike hasn't ever exploded yet. Well tuned points bikes will run 8000 without missing a tick as long as you got valve springs. Which is why I like 36mm because when you hit 6500 rpms it's serious boogie time. More fuel and air. Adios.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Some would say a larger hole could be advantageous for prolonged incarceration....Would give more performance and be less damaging during those serious boogie times....

John
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Some would say a larger hole could be advantageous for prolonged incarceration....Would give more performance and be less damaging during those serious boogie times....

incarceration Imprisonment; confinement in a jail or penitentiary

typical conservative thinking john, larger holes? are you saying bigger jail cells? and serious boogie times? you want convicts to be able to dance? I say lock them up and throw away the key! :^)

xsjohn

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Not exactly......

John
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

How did this turn into a political site? When I become president I'm banning the use, sale, and distribution of 34mm mikunis. 36mm will be the new standard. Those who use 34mm will be rounded up and sent to internment camps where they will receive 34mm deprogramming. Furthermore they will be reeducated on all aspects of 650 performance. This includes gearing, tires, and other foolish mods.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Think I will go to 32's to escape incarceration.........

John
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

the best form of govenment is a benevolent dictatorship....... as long as you get to be the dicatator I've got 38's so I'm safe

Last edited by jayel on May 10, 2007, 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

32mm lovers will be rounded up and executed on the spot.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Looks like fuel injecton is my only alternative.......If that ends up on your list ....Then I will just have to do the hard time and hope it isn’t to long....

John

Last edited by xsjohn on May 10, 2007, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

No, cuz I'm setting up a department to round up all current and past PETA, IRS, FBI, DEA, and EPA members. Leaded fuel will be mandatory, as will the resumed production of high tin chrysler big blocks. 3 piece suits will be burned along with liberal slanted publications and their publishers.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Got my vote......Don't forget to round up all members of ICE and close all fence companys.......

John
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Ha Ha ...Can you add Blair to that list? Twisted Evil
All goin downhill over here... Rolling Eyes

God I love you Yanks ! Cool
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Will do.....Blair out..Chamberlain in......Done deal......Extra boneass.......Bush out Hillary in.....Super extra boneass......Ahmadinejad in....Israel out.......
John
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 8, 2007, 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Has anybody tried Mike's Dellorto PHF36 pumper carb kit?

www.mikesxs.net/mikesx...ory_id=4.9

I'm tempted but it's pricey.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 8, 2007, 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

They look bad assed. Get em and try em. Let us know how it turns out.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 8, 2007, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Ok boys and girls want my opinion?? Probably not but I like our f***** up politicians Im going to force it on you. EVERY ONE OF THE CARBS MENTIONED HAS ITS PURPOSE. The 34's build nice low end torq. The 38's are great for racing applications. And as far as I can tell the 36's are a sweet spot in the middle. Street applications. They also build good torq in the big bore set-ups. Of course the best thing for performance is head work, free flowing exhausts, cams, and for torq extended intake manifolds. These simple mods is what is going to make the 36mm carbs SHINE. My vote is like tt says 36mm carbs. although my present bike has 34's vms of course. anyone want to trade for 36's with manifolds?
grizld1

PostPosted: August 9, 2007, 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Amen, Brother Roy! Testify! But you forgot two little things that with your experience, you'd tend to take for granted--the patience to learn how to tune the damn carbies and the patience to do it. It doesn't matter how much is spent or what carbs are hung on the scoot, if the buyer isn't willing or able to fine-tune the things he won't get performance unless he's incredibly lucky. Performance cam? Sure--but guys need to learn what's involved in degreeing one in or they may wind up wasting their money; you not only need to verify sprocket position, you need to check for grind errors, and those are a damsight more common than folks tend to think. The bottom line is that you can't just bolt stuff on the bike and expect clean performance.

But I expect this to fall on deaf ears, don't you? I've written my last jetting post, here or anywhere else, because it's wasted effort. Tuning is a process, and what do we see posted, time and again? Not "What should I do to jet my bike?" but "What jets should I buy?" There's a world of difference in those questions.

Those who love learning and doing the work and have fun thinking things through when problems come up are the folks who should build modified bikes. Those who just want the faster product, don't want to learn, and get frustrated easily should sell what they have and buy a faster bike.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2007, 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Sorry to upset you G. I didn't buy the carbs on my bike, they came with it. That is why it is frustrating to me to try and tune them. I would've gone with the 34mm's had I purchased them myself. They seem like a better version than what came on it. As for buying a faster bike, I had the fastest bike you could buy, a Hayabusa. It was stolen out of my yard, with no theft insurance, so I had to buy the fastest thing I could afford. I am still learning, so be patient with some of us. Most bikes out there you can buy a jet kit for (stage I, stage II, stage III), and that is what people are looking for.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 9, 2007, 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

inxs650 ; those stage kits your talking about are a starting point. I have customers whom bring in various stage kits and get them installed. But that IS NOT THE END OF THE ROAD. They then bring there bikes to a tunner who runs the bike on a dino and sees just what is happening with that particular motor. most of the time the carburators will get tweeked more from that point. On 4 cylider models generally the center 2 cyliders will need to be fattened up from what the stage kits send. Due to incresased cylinder temperatures. Also a MAJOR FACTOR involved here is indevidual cylinder condition, if there is compression differances that will cause differant needle heights, low speed jetting changes, main jet changes etc. No matter what there is no exact jet kit for any one model bike that will give optimum performance for every bike it was designed for. Any good tuner worth his weght will tell you this. A tunner that I know personally tells his customers not to buy the kits because he is going to put it on the dino and tune the bike any how and as a customer it is cheaper to have it tunned one time then it is to pay for a kit then send it to him and he changes things and bills you for the parts again. The dino jet dino kits are good for people who either do not have access to a dino and want better performance, but make no misstake a bike dino tunned will out perform a bike otherwise equaly prepared every time if correctly done. Also worth mentioning here if you dino tune is to have everything the way it will stay after tunning. in other words exhaust, air filters, etc. each of these affect tunning. This is also why the kits are not a done deal cause the manufacturer cannot pre determan what each bike uses for components. Say your tunned to a yoshi can on your gsxr600 and get it tunned, you go down and dent your can and decide to put on a hindle can, the exhaust back pressure just changed and hence so did your tunning. get the picture? Or your tunned to a airbox, and deside to go to pods, again the intake pressures just changed your tunning. I find that with the old 650's that to be a big problam with the stock carburators. I dont recomend pods on stock carbs unless your making a dino trip. A while back I was looking for carb jetting recomendations for the various vm carbs. Not as a set in stone jetting salution but as a starting point to begin with. A word to the wise is manufacturers will sell you anything that they can and tell you what you want to here to do just that. Theres alot of bikes running around with dinojet jet kits and they do perform better then stock but they cant understand why there is one other bike exactly like theres that blows them away everytime. ANSWER ITS TUNNED.

Forum Index -> Top End Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4