650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > too rich?

too rich?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
point.zero

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 4:41 am    Post subject: too rich?

hi,
i have a 79 i've been working on for some time
i'm working on rejetting my carbs after putting pods into my system, now i'm running into two prblem; the timing (specifically on my right cyl) is advanced to the mark after the 'F', even after pushing my points as far back as physically possible...further more it acts like its running really rich (i think), but my main jets are only up to 140.0, and my pilots are 25.0, mixture screw 1.25 turns out. shouldn't the pods be leaning out my mixture? it feels like the settings are really lean, but acts like it's really rich(even getting pops and after burns out the pipes...:( )
any ideas? i'm considering going down a size on the pilots, but not sure how that would help my timing issue...
thanks
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: too rich?

point.zero wrote:
hi,
my right cyl) is advanced to the mark after the 'F', even after pushing my points as far back as physically possible...further more it acts like its running really rich (i think), but my main jets are only up to 140.0, and my pilots are 25.0, mixture screw 1.25 turns out. shouldn't the pods be leaning out my mixture? it feels like the settings are really lean, but acts like it's really rich(even getting pops and after burns out the pipes...:( )
any ideas? i'm considering going down a size on the pilots, but not sure how that would help my timing issue...
thanks
your timing should advance to the mark when the engine is revved (+2500rpm) and run in between the F marks at idle, yes the pods will lean the mixture BUT it will be most noticable on the low speed (pilot jet) rather than the mains, what do the plugs look like? and what number plugs are you running?

full advance.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.34 KB
 Viewed:  461 Time(s)

full advance.jpg

point.zero

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: too rich?

hey thanks for the image, sorry got a bit tied up over the holidays.

my timing off rt cyl is between the blue marks i've added. my points are as far as they'll go.

main jets are 48-0216 (#140.0)
pilots 48-0505 (#25)
mixture screw 1.5 turns out
all from mikesxs

for a 79 w/ stock BS38's this looks like it would be lean setting, right?

my plugs look burned (def. a recent development) the ceramic in center is black, as are the leading threads; they also look pretty wet when i take them out after test firing. NGK- BP6E S

any ideas?

my timing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.35 KB
 Viewed:  439 Time(s)

my timing.jpg

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: too rich?

well that's running advanced might try setting your points to the low side of the range .012 instead of .016 that will retard the timing and might give you the adjustment you need, set the top (right side) set of points first then move the left side sub-plate to set the left side, both sides NEED to be within the F marks for the bike to run properly

timing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.97 KB
 Viewed:  460 Time(s)

timing.jpg

Srinath

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: too rich?

point.zero wrote:
hi,
i'm considering going down a size on the pilots, but not sure how that would help my timing issue...
thanks

Lean + advanced = detonation.
I know nothing about timing with a points motor.
Cool.
Srinath.
blackwidow

PostPosted: December 29, 2009, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: too rich?

My bike was running rich as well that will cause a little smoke right??What color of smoke would it be??I've changed exaust and stuff like that so I think I'm gonna have to check my timing and mess with jets I suppose anybody know of any good topics for this??
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 30, 2009, 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: too rich?

jayel covered the timing, for carbs this is kinda like the bible.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
(psst don't tell anyone, the link is in the vault)

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 30, 2009, 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: too rich?

deleted

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1