650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
estewart

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

i just finished a rebuild and rewired the bike using the stock diagram. i only wired what was necessary to make the bike start up and run, and what do ya know... it wont.

so i check and do diagnostics, my primary on the ignition coil is on the verge of being bad but the secondary is 11,000 ohms over the limit, so i ordered one from mikesxs.

then i check the pick up coil and its also way over the acceptable limit. but mikesxs doesn't sell any, or bikebandit. eBay doesn't have any.

any suggestions on where to get one?

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

Some stators on ebay with pickup coils.....here is one

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...ccessories

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
estewart

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

thank you!!!
will it work on an 82? i'm assuming it will because you sent me the link but i have to ask. i'm also looking on ebay for the whole stator and not just the pick up coil and i'm finding a few now.

will any year pickup coil work as long as that are within tolerance?

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

Think the stators with the pickup coils are all the same 80 on up.........the 82 I believe had a side stand switch but that made the connector on the tci box a 7 wire instead of 6......stator and pickup coil being the same.......

Pickup coils are easy to test.........there are three pins......the one odd one is ground and the other two are the seperate coils.........should read from ground to either of the two coils (700 or so ohms)........so it has 2 700 ohm coils....

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on December 23, 2009, 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
estewart

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

ok, that makes sense. the 82 does have a sidestand switch but like you said i dont see it having any problem affecting the system.

also this is the second time i wired the bike up and the first time i used a wire diagram offline that was for a 6 wire tci and as soon as i was done wireing it i noticed the problem. thought it would be fine, tried it... didnt work. askes a friend and he said to rewire it using the book and not something off the internet. he prettymuch slaped me upside the head. haha

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

ok, turns out i didnt test the coil properly, i just picked 2 wires and checked it. i looked at the book again and tested it correctly, results..... under 700 ohms. wohoo!!! but the ignition coil is still bad (besides i cant return electrical parts back to mikesxs, so oh well)

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

Thought that was what you had done....that's why I added testing it to my previous post......xsjohn
Photo Gallery
estewart

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: need a pick-up coil. where do i get one?

haha, its funy how we sometimes just glance at the book and assume we know what its talking about.

oh, and i got a reply back from the seller of the ebay item, he checked it (correctly) and its resistance is above 700 ohms. good thing i didnt go ahead and buy it without checking my own

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1