650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Ignition timing

Ignition timing
    Forum Index -> Electrical
markee

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 5:01 am    Post subject: Ignition timing

Have just converted from TCI to Pamco. Seems to have cured my intermittant missing, touch wood!!!
When setting the timing i noticed at idle engine runs smoother & revs go up if set timing to the left of the 'U' mark , i'm talking 1/4 inch or so. I have it set as per specs but wondering if something may be amiss with cam timing or is this normal??
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition timing

markee,

1. Look to see if the timing plate has been relocated. There should be some "witness" paint on the screw holding the plate from the factory.

2. If it has been moved, then you will have to reestablish TDC and move the plate back where it belongs.

Notice the witness paint and that the locating screw is at the mid point in the slot.

3. If the timing light seemed to be erratic at all, then try connecting it to the other plug wire.
4. It's also possible that the timing is correct but the engine just runs better with a slightly advanced timing. This could be due to a carb adjustment.

5. The engine speed will increase when you advance the timing, so perhaps the timing is set correctly and you just happened to notice the increase when you advanced the timing.

6. In any event, I would recommend that you do not run the engine with the timing to the left of the "U" as you may have the timing set too far advanced and that has the potential to cause knocking in the engine which can damage the engine.
7. I would also suggest that you use high Octane fuel as added protection until you get the timing sorted out.

8. You should also verify that the timing is advancing as the engine speed increases. The strobe should advance to this position @ 3,000 RPM:

Note also that if you advance the timing, the engine speed increases, which causes the timing to advance further.

9. You must also verify that the advance mechanism snaps back to the retarded position after you manually advance it, like this:

Note: Video runs better the second time.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1