650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Would like some thoughts on this..

Would like some thoughts on this..
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
SClay

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Would like some thoughts on this..

Have my XS650 listed for sale on a few forums, and on Craigslist. Had a local guy contact me through CL and here is what he had offered to trade. It is a 2002 DR650 decked out with lots of goodies for adventure touring, minus the road tires. At first, I was really quite enthused, and I dig the DR, but now I am not so sure about getting rid of the XS. I suppose it comes down to me feeling like I am giving up something that has like a billion hours into, but then again, if I don't enjoy riding the XS, what is the point right? Here are some pictures of the two machines in question:

This:

For this:

What do you guys think? From a purely non-biased standpoint, shoot from the hip opinion. Keep in mind my CB350 Cafe bike is in pieces in the garage, but it is still there, and WILL be on the road again, hopefully, soon.

And I understand that it is up to me, and perhaps it is not the decision I need made, but I need to get it through my head that eventually, I will sell the projects I put so much time into. I have had a few cars in the past that I miss everyday, and it hangs with me when making decisions like this. But the way I see it, I can always build another machine like the XS again. Hopefully. So how do you guys deal with it? Giving up a project that you put so much sweat into, where you know every single piece was touched by your hands?

Steve
danno

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

Chalk one vote up for keeping the XS. Very nice looking scooter!
BG4D

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

I say no deal. That trade I thing you would regret in no time. If he is that gung-ho to trade, there must be more than meets the eye.

Keep the XS, sell it for cash and buy something you REALLY want.

y $.02
nj1639

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

Why don't you enjoy riding the xs?
BSABarb

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

Hands down, keep the XS! Unlike the other---appliance---the XS has class!

(Why, yes, I *am* a bit prejudiced, why do you ask?) Laughing

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

Hands down, keep the XS! Unlike the other---appliance---the XS has class!

(Why, yes, I *am* a bit prejudiced, why do you ask?) Laughing

Oops! Double post...

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

Oops--double post---sorry! Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

My personal vote. Dual sport bikes are very fun bikes to ride, tear the xs apart and start over. Check out my xsl bike in my pictures. I have owned several thumper dual sport bikes includeing the dr and out of all I have had the dr is the last one I would want again. The Klr or xr are far better bikes. But the one I wont part with is my xsl bike. Keep the xs and if dual sport is where your heart lives then build it. Need pointers ask, been there and done that.
jeepurz

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

ive had a dr the prob I had was seat height, im 6.1 but I hate tall bikes, I gave up on dual sports when seat heights went of 32 inches ,, while that bike looks great cept for the alien headlight (JMO), id prob still take the xs, not that the dr wouldnt be a hoot to ride around on.
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

DR motors are monsters ... and they are fly weight ... like they weigh 1/2 the XS motor I am sure. In a light small sport bike, like a GS500 thay will fly and be an nimble as a schwinn.
Having said that, the motor doesn't quite it and doesn't quite have the cain and stuff be fittable as it were on a GS500.
You can turn it into a sportish bike ... there is a sport rider mag where they went racing with one of those, maybe it was a DRZ400.
XS - you can buy another and mod it ... I'd say do it.
Cool.
Srinath.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

Done a lot of both road and dual sport and very much agree with Roy's assessment. You can do a lot to improve the XS 650 on dirt, gravel, rocks and trails but.....bikes like the KLR, KTM's, and several other "dual sports" are really like 'apples versus oranges' in comparison to the XS which was really intended as a road cruiser if only as regards weight, clearance and suspension. Horses for courses as they say.

Nice work on your XS btw....it's clear that you're "invested in it". Best, Blue

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

My two cents. I think you have some good work on that bike. It looks really good. It IS your bike though. When I hear guys chopping bobbing whatever, it is not what I would do but it is their bike. If you don't enjoy riding I guess you think you might like riding the DR more? You can probably take the DR more places. XSs are not off road bikes...mostly. It's not as cool though.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

I think someone miss read my script. I would never own another dr period. It is a pig in comparison to every other thumper I have riden or had. Another thing here once you get into big inch thumpers your real off road riding has diminished unless your taking steroids and working out at the jim, cause big inch bikes WILL BEAT YOU hard. On a dirt road however I will run with a thumper with my xs bike all day long .
Eric00

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

hell i wold keep that xs just to look at even if i couldnt ride anymore!!! Sweet bike!! If you dont mind what were you asking for it?
blackwidow

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

That xs is awesome I love it and the more I look at it makes me not want to chop my second bike and do something similar to what you have there. I'm not into the whole off road stuff so I'd keep the xs and I'm not one of those guys that say xs or nothing even though I am growing more fond of the xs as the days go by.

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

That XS is SwEEEET......I would keep it. Just my opinion.....and yes I am biased....that other bike has no Soul.

I might even base my build on your bike if you dont mind....

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

Wife saw me lookin at your XS and said Hey I LIKE that! Chick magnet for sure.
blackwidow

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

I have a question is this bike pure kickstart because I don't see a battery??Also what kind of handle bars are those and where do I get some at??

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

id kep the xs its better

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

A little off subject. In the vault I noticed that you use a small battery .Can you tell me more. Thanks Russ.
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Would like some thoughts on this..

Before everyone pee's all over the DR take a moment to decide yourself what kind of riding your after. Obviously the DR is meant to go places your XS can never go. The DR's are quite reliable and parts are everywhere and still in production. The accessories on that bike are worth some cake as well so if you were to plan a Baja trip your practically set to go already.

On the other hand if your not planning on using the DR for its intended purpose other than riding on the street... stick with the XS.

Sweet paint on your XS... and those Firestone Champions... nice !

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1