650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
bennecc

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

I've been researching the various options for an upgrade to the front braking system on my '81 Special II (currently stock and in poor shape). There's lots of info on the boards about how to upgrade to dual disc, swapping slotted xs1100 discs, how to drill the stock rotor, etc.....

But, anyone care to share their opinions on what offers best performance for the bucks/time involved? Cheapest would be to wither pick up a slotted rotor off ebay or find someone with a drill press and drill my own rotor, easiest would be to just fork out $130 for Mikes disc. I want good performance using my stock caliper without the hassle/expense of finding and ordering parts for a dual disc conversion.
KevC

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

I dont think you need a twin disc set up on the XS. Im running a disc from MikesXS, R1 blue spot caliper and a stainless brake line. (see my gallery for pics) This gives great braking performance. But also gave pretty good performance with the original caliper and decent pads.

If you want a different caliper but dont have machining facilities have a look at this

fishheadbigbrakes.com .
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

I got a rotor from E-Gay for $25. Resurfaced, & it has a nice swirl finish to it. I put it on a lath & checked for run-out, absolutely 0.It came from a place in the Midwest, can't remember where or who, but he's got a few of them.Total bill was like $35 with shipping, & 4 day delivery.
Rebuilding the master & caliper is not a hard project. The part's from Mike's are decent, & I use dielectric grease for reassembly. The pad's are good, too.
Like Kev C stated, the fornt stock is more then enough to stop a 650.
ine will lock up if I horse around.

bennecc

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

Perfect, that's kind of what I wanted to hear....good performance from the stock parts. My other bikes have been more modern, so it was making me nervous to depend on these heavy old parts (I'm yet to ride my xs). Since my rotor is in such bad shape, I think I'll just get one of the slotted xs1100 discs off of ebay, rebuild the caliper & mc, and get a stainless line and new pads from mikes. Thanks for the advice.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

I'm running my stock resurfaced rotor with a stainless line and new stock style replacement master cylinder from Mikes. It stops fine. If I were to do anything more it would be to drill the rotor because I like the way it looks. Rebuilt my caliper with a new kit and piston and paint. I replaced my master cylinder because of the cost of the kits and I needed a new reservoir as mine was cracking. It ended up being $10 more than the cost of the two kits to buy a new one and I didn't have to repaint it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
bennecc

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

Hey pumps, looks good. Where did you get the stock rotor resurfaced and what did it cost you? Also, what "two kits" are you referring to about the mc? The rebuild kit and the cap & diaphragm kit?
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

Actually my neighbor offered to take it to his work and have their machinist do it. Cost me lunch at Wendys. I'm so lucky to have a neighbor who is a rider and my very good friend. The two kits are the Part #08-0219, the #08-7000 , the ones you mention.Together they are $53. Plus I needed a reservoir and I never did find where to get one of those. I replaced the mc with mikes #08-0255 for $69. I've decided brakes are not something I'll try to "get by" on. Oh and I painted the center. Be sure check the disc for minimum thickness. Minimum allowable is 0.26 inches or 6.5 mm according to my Clymer.

Before

After

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
bennecc

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

Wow, lunch at wendy's......that's a bargain! I read somewhere that the rotors need to be blanchard ground; is that what was done to your rotor there?...i'm assuming a local machine shop will know what that is.

You make a good point about the MC; I think I'll replace the ugly stock one with a shiny new one rather than buy $53 worth of parts. Thanks for the advice.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake performance? Anyone used Mike's disc?

bennecc wrote:
Wow, lunch at wendy's......that's a bargain! I read somewhere that the rotors need to be blanchard ground; is that what was done to your rotor there?...i'm assuming a local machine shop will know what that is.

You make a good point about the MC; I think I'll replace the ugly stock one with a shiny new one rather than buy $53 worth of parts. Thanks for the advice.

In my mind I thought, "spend all that money on parts and still have to paint my old ugly one."

ine was smoothed out on a lathe. I did see this on blanchard grinding.
www.oldbritts.com/14_061885.html

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1