650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Last ride for 2009

Last ride for 2009
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Last ride for 2009

At least the last organized ride. Dec. 6 2009 Springfield, MO Toys for Tots.
The morning started at 26º, overcast with a slight breeze. The type of morning you can only really enjoy from the inside. Out to the shop to do a few things, top off the tank, changed the fuel filter, cleaned the varnish of the mix screw. By 11 the clouds are thinning and the temp is up to 34º.
Things are looking up, time to get the "outfit" ready, liner in the coat, gauntlent gloves, bring the helments and leathers in to warm, pack the toys in the bags. The sun has come out and the breeze feels warmer, but wetter. The ride meet up is 30 miles away and leaves at 2pm so we had better get around. Surprizingly we are "comfortable" riding in. The leathers are blocking the wind, heavy boots and scarfs are keeping the air out on both ends and with the cool air the motor is feeling frisky(and I younger). Riders already on the hiway were being joined by others coming from woods. When we rolled into the parkinglot our group of 1 had grown to 9. The parking lot was a sea of bikes, people enjoying the sun, bikes and exchanging greetings with folks you probably only see at such things. The "ride"starts and it is a good five minutes before we actually get on the road. By then we can't see the front of the line, just a line of bikes 2X for a good mile or better and we are in the middle! The ride finished at an elementary school and parking is becoming a premium, 3 blocks of bikes on both sides backed into the curb and a full parking lot. The sun is still out, the wind is colder , a grey bank of clouds is out to the west coming fast. The line to turn in toys is already around the building corner so we decide to look at bikes first, then hit the grub line. Cruised the parking lot and headed down the street, the clouds are on top of us now, the wind decidedly colder. Then we heard it first, hitting the leather with a nasty slap and stinging your face. SLEET!! Crraapppp!
While it bounced off the leathers it had no problem melting and staying on the seats. By the time we had gotten back to the bike, I say screw the line and take the toys to the Marines truck around back. The little bride is getting the bike ready. Uh-oh word is out 400+ bikes are heading out at a speed/urgency driven by the thought that things can get bad here fast.
Anyway here is a couple of pics and links to the news stories.

www.ky3.com/home/video...50947.html

www.ky3.com/home/video...84212.html

dsc00329r.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  337.54 KB
 Viewed:  272 Time(s)

dsc00329r.jpg

dsc00324r.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  305.14 KB
 Viewed:  275 Time(s)

dsc00324r.jpg

dsc00315r.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  291.54 KB
 Viewed:  255 Time(s)

dsc00315r.jpg

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Last ride for 2009

Nice one brother Cool
despecial

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Last ride for 2009

- gamsstein 2009...1st weekend in december...tirol, austria...in the alps south of münchen

Web Page Name

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Last ride for 2009

Heilige Scheiße.......I'll never complain about cold weather riding again.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
blue900

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Last ride for 2009

Toys for tots ride would be a great way to end the season.

I guess I need to start looking for a side car, then I could ride my bike Snowboarding or take it winter camping! That's amazing! The riding season would not need to end.

despecial

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Last ride for 2009

- actually john, thanks to global warming, this years winter programme is being shortened Laughing

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Last ride for 2009

myg/f has a ural with a sidecar....... huge fun!......... and the hack is a blast to ride also..... toys for tots is a must do ride! well done bro
Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 10, 2009, 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Last ride for 2009

You guys did a great thing.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1