650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Aw geez...not another new guy!

Aw geez...not another new guy!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
1979FXE

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Hi , yall, from Delaware....been around Harleys since I was 17. Had one in some shape or form since. I am now 57. These XS 650's get me goin, so i got one and will be choppin her soon. probably start with an extended arm and go rigid later. Just to get her on the road quicker. First a good tune up and some miles to get the bugs out. She has been sittin for awhile. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Kevin.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Heard most folks from Smyrna marry their sisters. Welcome to the board and congrats on breaking away from the Harley world. PM me if you want to get together sometime for a cup of coffee or a brew. What year is the bike? Does it run? We all love pictures since sounding out the words is so hard. And just kiddin' about the sister thing, we all know it's farm animals in slower Delaware.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
1979FXE

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Hey King...The one I just picked up is a 1981 Heritage Special...can make it run but it doesnt really want to. Needs plugs and some fresh gas , maybe some carb tweaking. Had my grandkids this weekend or that would be done. Tried to post a pic, but the site didnt like it...too big I think. Not out of the big bikes really, still have my FXE. Total rebuild over the last two years. Shes not my sister neither, shes my cousin...LOL...

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

welcome from another new-b, try making a photobucket account, thats the only way i can figure out how to post pics-Eric
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

This site has a limit on the picture size and to get quality I just upload them to photobucket and link them. Works pretty good.
Welcome Kevin.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
1979FXE

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Thanks guys...I appreciate that....have a photobucket account , but havent gotten around to trying that yet.Lookin forward to chattin and gettin some ideas from everybody. I like my Harleys in stock form and would never molest a really nice stock bike of any kind . But since I got one in rough shape , I dont mind doing a little surgery on this one to get the desired effect. Turning this over in my mind so many ways....thanks for the welcome.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

If you need some ideas. Sit and let the member picture gallery slide show play and you 'll see a million different ideas.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Yea the specials deserved to go under the saw. They are fuggggggly ...
That 400 lb stepped seat, the idiotic skinny tank (yea we all like stopping every 50 miles ... that's what makes us special) ... list goes on ...

I am sawing mine as soon as its running worth a nickel. Though I am not going hard tail, I am going to a brat style. Just cut off the lock brackets, and fit a flat pan and put a foam on it and make a seat.

Looking forward to your work of art.

Cool.
Srinath.
1979FXE

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Thanks again to all....lookin at the slides now as we speak...dont tell my boss.....have lostsa ideas....gotta work out the best for me....want spoke wheels...anybody have suggestions on where to get the best? Dont want them to rust like my stock ones. Also may change rim sizes. Any thoughts
would be appreciated.Or should I just go for wheels?

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

trying a pic...

i65.photobucket.com/al...aha002.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Good job gettin' the pic up.Pun intended. In the vault, Jayel has a post on what to look at & clean on these bike's after sittin' awhile.Good read, & good idea's. Welcome to the site.
1979FXE

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Thanks Gordo...will look for that...

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

1979FXE

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Thanks Gary...I couldnt finger out how to do that....

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Us cool Heritage guys gotta stick together!
mrkil

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

looks like a good candidate for a chop
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

When you are on the page that has several of the pictures, when you hover over the picture with the mouse a box appears . One of those lines is the "IMG code" . Copy and paste that code into your post and it will show as our friend Gary as done for us.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
1979FXE

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Thanks pumps...will try it....and yes she will be chopped . Will try a pic of my shovel.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Good looker!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
1979FXE

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Thanks pumps...put er together myself...2 yr rebuild...motor and trans built by Charlie Kowchak , the real deal here in Wilmington. 70 yrs old still bikin and wrenchin. Paint is old , will redo this winter. Lotsa new stuff , wheels, tires , powdercoat. Cant wait to get into this XS. They say bikes build themselves. Well , I wish it would hurry up....LOL.pic of one of Charlies bikes below. His stuff is requested for museums and such. Unbelievable collection of motors , complete bikes and parts.

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Hard to argue there is an attraction to the old Harleys. I watch em for sale all the time but always find it easier to pull the trigger on much cheaper rice burners.
gordonscott

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Will try a pic of my shovel.

Welcome to the site Kevin, and that sure is a nice lookin scoot! great job on the rebuild Wink

1979FXE

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Thanks Gordon...had help from some good people. My brother in law was aces in helping with wrenching and Charlies motor work is the best. I really like this bike and wanted to keep it close to stock withj a few improvements. I am hoping my XS turns out so well. You guys have been very helpful so far.

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Aw geez...not another new guy!

Hi Kevin, you wrote this in the intro section to "theradbaron" "Im new too...like the idea of an XS650 scrambler....I lean toward scramblers myself...any pics yet? I have a few scramblers too...CL77 in pieces, Cl200 , CL350, two CL100 in pieces, and a couple of Z50 s , all hondas.Just picked up an XS650 to chop, bob, chobob or somethin...still runnin it thru my pointy little head.Kevin." I also have a cl200 and cl350 but what cought my eye was the "couple of z50's" Very Happy you would not happen to have a "76" by any chance would you? Mr. Green

me 1976.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.91 KB
 Viewed:  406 Time(s)

me 1976.jpg

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2