650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > Top End Work > > Clearance issue with new valves and guides

Clearance issue with new valves and guides
    Forum Index -> Top End Work
dwyatt

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Clearance issue with new valves and guides

I just bought a new set of kibblewhite bronze valve guides and Mike's XS stainless steel valves and they don't seem to fit. I measured them both at 8mm, so no real clearance to go together. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to hone the seats before I try to assemble, or is one of these not correct?
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clearance issue with new valves and guides

You'll need to fit the guides (heat the head first, in a 100*C oven) & then ream the hole to suit the valve.

Shows how on page 23 in the factoy manual:

www.knucklebusterinc.c.../XS650.pdf

Jack

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clearance issue with new valves and guides

The KW guides need to be resized,the are made undersized during machining to allow your tolerances to be honed.Any machine shop should be able to re-size them. Do not drive those guides in,either pull them to the seat or press'em in and coat lube'em with oil. The best tool I found to accomplish guide installation correctly with bronze guide is the Harley Davidson guide tool,pulls them straight in. Don't run the stock tolerances with stem to cast iron guides either, you can get away with running them just a little tighter,stabilizing and seals the valve better a higher RPMs.
dwyatt

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clearance issue with new valves and guides

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure before I went at it. Luckily, I have a good race shop close that can get the machining done for me.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clearance issue with new valves and guides

Dwyatt from all your posts, new products et seems like your gonna have a pretty hot bike when your done.
dwyatt

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clearance issue with new valves and guides

I sure hope so. This was a long term project to take the bike as far as I could and it will be show time this spring when I finish the final motor work. I head back to work in the morning, so will be another month before get back to the bike.

The head work and new pistons look great, last part to get is the cam, then final assembly.

1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Top End Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1