650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Rotor bolt grade?

Rotor bolt grade?
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
grinder

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Rotor bolt grade?

Does anybody know what grade the bolts should be that bolt the brake rotor to the hub? The stock bolts have no markings. I would like to use stainless but don't know if they would be strong enough.
Thanks
KevC

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

Hi grinder
You can buy high tensile stainless bolts for your discs from the likes of ProBolt etc... but here is a quote from Inox stainless
"If Stainless isn’t as strong as high tensile steel is it going to be strong enough?
This is our MOST faq. Firstly it should be made clear that if for whatever reason you require high tensile (HT) bolts you should use original equipment. Secondly if we believed a bolt was not strong enough for a particular application we would not sell it to you. HT steel is used by factories because it is cheap, convenient and saves assembly time. We ran a motorcycle fitted with standard A2 bolts on discs and fork castings etc which were tested on a daily basis for many months and found no problems whatsoever. Not really a surprise when you consider both the hub and the yokes are low tensile cast alloy - the threads on the fastener are actually stronger than the threads in the material. If you need further reassurance - in the seven years we have been selling stainless we have not had a report of a single failure because the bolt wasn’t strong enough"
Photo Gallery
grinder

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

Thanks much for the info. A2 is the grade of the stainless bolts I was looking at. I thought they should work but the originals have no markings so you have nothing to compare to. It's probably very true that the stainless bolts are stronger than the material they are going into. Pro bolts stuff is nice but $6.00 a bolt is kind of pricey.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

Mikes has them, along with nice new lock tabs.....

His look to me to be std mild steel cadium plated:

www.mikesxs.net/produc...l#products

A higher tensile bolt is not necessarily a good thing. A high tensile bolt offers greater tensile strength sure, but there's always a trade off....A mild steel bolt has better shear strength.

What is a disc going to try & do? Will it want to pull away from where it is bolted (need tensile strenth), or will it want to rotate around (need shear strenth)?

y money is on the disc wanting to spin, so mild steel would be optimal. Stainless is not as strong as steel in either tensile or shear strenth.

Having said all that, I'm not sure if it matters or not (in this application), & it's all up to you. Std for me though.....

benztech

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

I installed SS button head bolts from ace hardware.. It looks very clean. I applied blue threadlocker since I didn't use the locking tabs. .
grinder

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

I was looking fot button heads but they didn't have them in the correct size at my local Hdw. only socket heads. With dual discs would you say the load would only be half of a single disc setup? I'm converting to dual slotted discs.
benztech

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

would you like me to post a pic. if you have an ACE hardware local they will carry what you need. as far as the stock grade I really don't know.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

I have the ones I removed , the oem ones, and the ones I got from mike when I did my front end and brake. You are correct that there are no markings on either.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

yep, just checked mine, no markings, mild steel, cad plated. Yamaha would have had a bazzillion high tensile bolts lying around, engineers would have specified mild steel!
KevC

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

Here is a picture of mine, A2 stainless buttons, and no probs so far. Cant see all 6 bolts failing together, no matter wot set up ya runnnig. Even the Probolt ones are only 316 stainless

fazercaliper100.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.73 KB
 Viewed:  447 Time(s)

fazercaliper100.jpg

Photo Gallery
grinder

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

I checked two Ace Hdw. nearby and they only had up to 6mm in the SS button head. Maybe a larger store would have more.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

I think the failure of the SS bolt would or could happen if the bolt were torqued to Yamaha specs instead of the specs put out for the size of the bolt by the SS manufacturer.........BG
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

grinder- my local ace hardware has specialty chrome fasteners . I think they are geared toward motorcycles generally but they are a bit pricey for me.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
benztech

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

go to a better ACE. my local ACE has everything to include a full chrome section. the chrome can get pricey. On my bobber build I spent like 200$ on chrome and SS fastners.
xsleo

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor bolt grade?

I get alot of my hardware at Lowes. They have a good selection of bolts and nuts.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1