650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > clutch

clutch
    Forum Index -> Drive
smearny

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 3:14 pm    Post subject: clutch

okay,i torque the clutchsprings into the basket,not too tight,everything fine,when i pull the clutch,the pushrod from the other side,pushes the clutch plate,like it should.when i tighten the springs further,it doesn't anymore..!? any clue?!
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: clutch

Smearny, I think this is your 3rd thread on this subject....You might find it better for all if you keep it together so we can track your progress. You need to give us all the info, like have you gone over what has been already suggested? Pressure plate lined up right?

The clutch is quite simple really; lever pulls cable (is the cable well lubed), cable operates actuator (this needs lube too) ball bearing in actuator presses against push rod (some push rods are 2 piece with a ball in the middle, others are 1 piece) then a final ball at the end pushes against the small final push rod. This pushes the pressure plate (against the tension of the clutch springs) freeing up the clutch plates, disengaging the clutch.

smearny

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch

sorry.i did it all.cable is lubed worm is lubed,the 2 little balls are in place.
when i pull the clutch i can see the plates assembly coming out,disengaging the clutch,but as soon as i tighten the clutch springs tighter,the basket doesn't come out anymore..!?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch

Did you check the pressure plate is aligned properly? It fits 6 ways, only one way is right though!
smearny

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: clutch

yes they are.everything like the manual asks.it ligns up and it's two fiber backed plates then 2 aluminum based plates, again 2 fiber.
if i don't screw the clutch springs too tight,it works,but as soon as i turn them harder in,the basket doesn't come out anymore,hence it's not disengaging anymore.
despecial

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: clutch

- are they the same screws you took out - if not maybe too short
- when you had the clutch apart what did you do - have you added extra plates for some reason
- is the worm located in the correct spline

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: clutch

smearny wrote:
yes they are.everything like the manual asks.it ligns up and it's two fiber backed plates then 2 aluminum based plates, again 2 fiber.

Where in the manual does it say to do that? You should fit a fibre plate first & last, steel plate between each pair of fibres.

clutch%20-%20missing%20washer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.22 KB
 Viewed:  981 Time(s)

clutch%20-%20missing%20washer.jpg

despecial

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: clutch

- doch, hes correct - manual says boss, fibre friction, steel, fibre friction, steel, alu friction, steel, alu friction, steel, fibre friction, steel, fibre friction, pressure plate...

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: clutch

- the assembly order goes 2-2-2
- 2 washers and spacer bush - hub or basket - plate thrust bearing and 2 washers - boss - then 2 washers and the nut

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: clutch

like this

clutch-tx650axs650bc-xs650-c-1974-1976_bigyau0774d-5_bd45.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.51 KB
 Viewed:  565 Time(s)

clutch-tx650axs650bc-xs650-c-1974-1976_bigyau0774d-5_bd45.jpg

despecial

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch

- when following the above diagram be aware that

...between part #s 2 and 3 there should be inserted a thin washer 35-51-0.5

...part # 19, the pushrod closest to the adjuster is often shown in manuals and parts manuals as being the wrong way round - the small machined end fits into the worm drive and mates to the ball bearing found there - this machined end is often shown on the pushrod closest to the clutch with the machined end pushing the ball bearing found there

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1