650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > clutch cable adjustment

clutch cable adjustment
    Forum Index -> All the rest
BklynMatt

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: clutch cable adjustment

Because Murphy was beside me (and my haste to reassemble) when I gasketed & applied silicone sealant to my engine left side case cover. I had connected theClutch Cable on the lower end, without attaching the handlebar end. when I attempted to do this I did not have enough cable to attach.(after adjusting the slotted screw & knurled thumb wheel all the way down). Now This is the cable which came off. I'm thinking the end inside the case is in a position which is the cause of this. Now I haven't adjusted the double screw at the case but I'm not expecting a good result when I do.
Now my question is, will I have to drain the oil before removing this case cover? I don't believe this is a wet case, It is gasketed, but its open for the Chain to round the sprocket,
any thoughts on either of the problems I am having?
1- the Cable length
2- oil drain requirement
rtaylor522

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: clutch cable adjustment

Hey there, It's been awhile since I've adjusted the clutch cable but I'll give it a whirl for you:

1st, you don't have to drain the oil to pull the left side case. just remove the allen bolts and remove the cover.

2nd, if you attach the cable at the top, then run it to the left side case and attach to the worm gear, I believe since the worm gear is spring loaded you actually do have a little bit of pull on it all the time (just not enough that it's engaging the push rod.)

(I don't have my manual in front of me here now so someone corrct if I'm wrong)

I believe you loosen the lock nut and turn the srew in all the way (until it just starts to get tough to turn...don't force it) then turn it back a quarter of a turn and lock it down.

then go to the handle bar adjustment and adjust it so there is just maybee 1 or 2 mm of play up there.

This should get you going, then I believe I've read that you should'nt do the final adjustments until the engine is hot, so go ride around and re-adjust as necessary

Someone else feel free to jump in because it's been atleast 3 years since i've done this
-Rob

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: clutch cable adjustment

- if you had your worm drive apart to inspect for cracks, clean and grease it as you should you may have put it together wrong...it can enter all splines but only 1 gives the correct position

- remove LHS case - no need to drain oil

- make sure the ball bearing goes back in too

- also to adjust

..wind handlebar adj all way in
..fit cable - inspect, clean and lubricate first
..back off lock nut under the small round worm cover, LHS
..adj screw to quarter turn freeplay
..adj handlebar to quarter inch freeplay

...readjust after 20 mins as motor expands and mucks up your cold adjustment

PostPosted: November 18, 2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: clutch cable adjustment

Thank You both,
for replying to my problem.
Sincerely
att D.

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1