650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Trying to change leaking head gasket.

Trying to change leaking head gasket.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Engine
despecial

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

- why a new head...you still dont really know what youre getting...try replacing the valve seat, valve, seals and maybe guide...probably cheaper in the end and you have a new valve seat

- oem rings are expensive and come in a piston set...get those from a
- 86-89 Honda Acura Integra D16A1-16V-NPR
- 86-89 Honda 2C JDM DOHC 16 V
...these are cheaper and come in a set of 4...also these may fit...

(1.2 X 1.5 X 2.8mm)

- D15B1 1.5 L Civic 88-91
- D15B2 1.5 L Civic LX, CRX DX 88-91
- D15B7 1.5 L Civic DX, LX, del Sol 92-95
- D15B8, D15Z8 1.5 L Civic CX 92-95
- D16A6 1.6 L Civic EX, Si, RTi, CRX Si 88-91
- D16Z6 1.6 L Civic EX, Si, del Sol 'VTEC'92-95
- D16A1 1.6 L Acura Integra 86-89

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

Hi despecial nice to hear from you again, I went to a mech shop today and the getting valves/seats/seals is likely but the seats seems to be a cost possibly avoidable if I can get a resonable ebay head... I see several but one has missing exhaust stud and rust but for $10...etc.
The shop man suggested sending to a place in wisconsin that could repair this head of mine, but is guessing $300. So if I could come across a used head that can hopefully be lapped (or cut) into service...
He also mentioned cutting too deep may affect the tension on the spring... hmm. well, considering it is winter, I am going fishing for used heads...
Unless there are better ideas. I am visualizing the possibility of using coarse lapping compound and drill attatched to the valve tip by vacuum hose, and going at it at length, sacrificing the valve, destined to be replaced anyway. but, will the angles be wrong? hmmm
Or should I ask, I may be missing something, how much would you think it costs to reseat?
Srinath

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

Head is $20 off fleabay.
I know one guy who's a good one in my area, and if you like I'll give you his ebay handle.
Of course there is these people in almost all areas of the country.
Cool.
Srinath.
yamakofu

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

thanks srinath I am at this stage in email correspondence with someone who is offering bolt on ready head for $100-150, but I am checking for the ebay deals as well. Either way I will likely avoid getting all the parts individually as well as the trouble of reseating job since it will cost too much...

yeah I am checking all the $20 level ebays indeed.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

You know that with any head, you need the matching rockerbox?

They are machined for the camshaft as a pair.....Just making sure your on to it, cheers

Srinath

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

Oh right, and the cam faces wear with the rocker faces too, but I bought the cams off the guy already.
Anyway the guy I am talking about is selling them as a pair.
Cool.
Srinath.
yamakofu

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

thanks yamaman, I was informed of this just a bit ago:
"head and cover are matching numbers-very important as the cam tunnel is bored as a set-new valve stem seals, relapp the valves in, check the cam bearings..."
by despecial in a pm involving other info...
yamakofu

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

yeah srinath I am probably going to use my old cam , maybe use my old rockers... will see how things go.
Srinath

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

Cam vs rockers ... its actually a very small difference, you could just run your cams in the other rocker box+head, and you have to break it in anyway, it will be fine.
Anyway you're getting good advice here.
Cool.
Srinath.
yamakofu

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

ok, though I had a link to a page earlier with these images, now I'm going to upload these,
to reconsider if I should
1. get rings without bothering to measure the gaps, just replace them and not be so cheap.
2. risk any potential blow by for experimental adventurous riskiness (for the thrill of the gamble) In consideration, that at some point, I may get an oversize piston arrangement... what is the big problem with blowby...anyway, it is not life threatening... or is it embarrassing, like bad breath...?
3. have rings measured for their gap, hone the cylinder and if necessary order and wait an additional week for the rings to arrive... and go visit the mechanic who has the ring compressor.
Srinath

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change leaking head gasket.

Right is lean and hot but not that bad.
Left is rich, and well, not bad.
I would say you could run the same things, dont see why ... oddly my stuck with rust and locked for years sitting under a tree without spark plugs bike also just looked carbon fouled. Not bad at all.
These things are hardy.
Cool.
Srinath.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2