650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Supplementary Service Manuals question

Supplementary Service Manuals question
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Supplementary Service Manuals question

What exactly is in a Yamaha Supplementary Service Manual? It is a model year specific one. I saw one for sale and wondered about buying it.

On a second topic, on my fuel petcocks there are screws that can be removed and fuel drains. They have red? washers on them. What are they and where is the best place to get some type of replacement?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Supplementary Service Manuals question

pumps, supplementary manual's are update's on part's, proceedure's, ect. from the factory. Year specific is what they found different in that year's published manual.
The red washer's are made of a gasket meterial that hold's up a little better then just plain gasket material. Soft copper gasket's could be used, but it does take allot of torque to effectively 'crush' the copper for a good seal.
Copper hold's up well, as you can see on the banjo bolt's on your brake line's.
You might find them in a part's store that has a Help line of product's. The copper or the 'red' one's. Fiber gasket's I think they're called.

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Supplementary Service Manuals question

Yeah Pumps, supplementry is specific model updates to the original manual. My Yamaha manual (XS650E Model) has a supplementry update #8 for the XS650 SE + a supplementry update #9 for XS650E models after engine #2FO-006501.

I don't have supp #'s 10 (covers XS650SE & SF, covers epa), 11 (covers XS650 SF/2F) & 12 (covers XS650G/SG). I don't know what else is out there........Probably heaps more!

I think if you look at the biker net site, you might find more, cheers

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Supplementary Service Manuals question

So you think it is a good thing to buy?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Supplementary Service Manuals question

Well, that depends on what bikes you have (or maybe planning on having) and what manuals you have now.

There all on this site, and if you have access to a good printer, you can print it all or any part out, so have a read through & see what you might need

www.biker.net/650_serv...0main.html

I printed mine (our work printer prints both sides) off the German XS site & got a good result. Then I used the spiral binder at work to assemble it as a book, came out tops!

despecial

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Supplementary Service Manuals question

- i have all the supp. manuals ... mostly you dont need them

- if you get the greysilver manual

XS 650 Manuals
1978-1980
Service Manuals

Lit..11616-XS-61

- it has serv mans. SE, E, SE, SF-F, G-SG
- and a poor copy of the E manual

this is alao downloadable fron the german site

www.xs650.de/phplm/index.htm

...the site is in german but the info is in english

...also here,,, www.biker.net

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Supplementary Service Manuals question

pumps, you might try Ace for a fiber gasket. I found some that were thicker and stopped the 90º fuel outlet at a point where it faced in, instead of down. The ID had to be drilled to fit the metric applicaton.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1