650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
xjwmx

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

After about a 100 mile ride in a bad rainstorm, maybe coincidentally, my steering developed a wild notch. When it got near center positon on either side it would pull to center as if it was spring loaded. Planning to do a bunch of beautiful fall colors riding soon, I didn't want to tear into a project I hadn't done before, replacing steering bearings.

To see what would happen I backed off the adjuster nut, planning to move the bar side to side some and then tighten it back up. When I'd loosened it less than ten degrees the notchyness went away. I just tightened down the lock nut there and it seems to ride and feel fine, but haven't had it on the highway yet. Last spring I think I overtightened it, was trying to get it to bind and then back off on the nut but never could get it to bind, so left it as tight as was possible to get it.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

The steering bearings aren't terribly complicated or expensive, it's taking all that other stuff off that ya gotta, then fixing all that you find needs fixing while you got it apart! Maybe mine just had more dents in it. If I can do it, anybody can do it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

xjwmx,

Well, I wouldn't go faster than 55 with that condition. You could develop a really nasty wobble.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

It is not a hard job even if you havent' done it before, It may take you all of 1 day. ...........1 day to save an accident........ witch could be your life or days to weeks of no riding and a wrecked bike.........I know what i would prefer.

Be safe if you don't replace them

Last edited by 650skull on October 21, 2009, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Pete, what would cause a wobble? There's no looseness and no notch at the present time.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

bearings bad. bearings develp small flat spots that when even cleaned up can be missed with the naked eye. If your still using the balls (s*** can them and bye the tapered race bearings from the supplyer of your choice. If you do no other suspension mods what sp ever this is not the one you want to skip. tank slappers at 70 miles per hour can give even pro riders a good scare.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Here is a link to the process its self

smg.photobucket.com/al...0Bearings/
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

xjwmx,

Well, the bearings were tight, now they are loose so there will be some play. Try riding the bike over some rough ground, even potholes, and you should be able to hear and feel the front end moving. Try the same thing with the front brakes applied to amplify the movement.

Whatever play there is in the upper bearing is multiplied by 4 1/2 to the point where the tire meets the road. This is because all the weight in the front is carried by the lower bearing. The upper bearing is 7" above the lower bearing and the lower bearing is 33" to the point where the tire touches the road.

The front end of a motorcycle is very sensitive. I have had wobble occur due to bad tires as well as something as simple as one fork tube was installed 1/4" higher than the other. In both cases, the wobble started at 65 MPH with no warning. Probably one of the scariest things that can happen on a motorcycle and it's potentially lethal.

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

I don't think I'd call it loose at this point though. I think it was overtightened before and turning it back 10 degrees or so it's still tight. The torque specified for those nuts is very low and warns you not to overtighten them. The reason I tightened it in the first place was a click I was getting when stopping and the click isn't back yet.

At any rate, I plan to change the bearings out before long. Was reading how to do it last night. Had a question about installing I think it's the lower bearing. It sits up in there and something said to use the old races as a drift for it. My question is how do you get the old races back out without something like a slide hammer?

I had a wobble coming up out of a turn riding a Suzuki 125. Was only doing about 20 maybe, but was in fact scary as hell Smile
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

I use the notch for a high speed dampner.........to loose and you will feel uneasy at say 65-70.....I spray chain lube on the top and lower bearing then wipe up the mess..........and not set it too loose...............
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

xj- look through my resto thread called tearing down my 77 . There are pictures that I think explain it. If you need more help just ask.
650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=8413

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Good article Pumps! I didn't find that one last night.

I want to do some painting as well once in there, so that's the main reason I hate to tear into it right now. Got a bit of motorcycle camping in the woods coming up maybe middle of next week or week after, depending on weather. I'll order new bearings and if it does anything squirrelly in the next couple of days, put them in right away.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

xj, if you use the old race to drive the new race home, there should be a lip on. What I did is use a long brass punch I have for just such a purpose. But even a long hardened steel rod will do. Punch out the old race from the opposite end. Make sure that the end that your setting on the old race is flat & square, you get a better 'grip' on the race with it square. A good source for the rod could be Lowe's or something like that. Threaded rod can be used, but it is very soft. You could bugger up the end your using to drive out the old race. I do it all the time with tapered bearing's, & also ball bearing's in some of the front wheel drive vehicle's.
xjwmx

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Pete, I'm curious about your wobble episodes. I assume it was on your xs650 and that the steering bearings were in good shape. Were the bearings stock or were they roller?
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

xjwmx,

The bearings were tapered roller and new. I had just installed them after my wreck, but I did not adjust the fork tube height correctly, and one tube was just a smidge higher than the other. After experiencing the wobble, I adjusted the forks so they were equal and that seemed to fix the problem.

If I had known of the possibility of a wobble, I would have "snuck up" on 65 MPH, but instead, I just blasted through and got a real scare when the front end started to wobble at 65.

So, whatever you do after any front end work, slowly increase speed in a straight stretch of road until you get to whatever speed is maximum for you. Check front tire pressure as well.

The lesson learned from this experience is that the front end of a motorcycle is very sensitive to changes and misalignments.

If you draw a line from the yoke to the floor and another line from the fork tubes to the floor, there is only about 4" difference where they meet on the floor. The tire trails the yoke by that amount which is the caster of the wheel. Small things, like a weight shift to the rear or one fork carrying more load than the other can upset this delicate balance. I personally think that the 16" wheel on the rear creates a problem by shifting weight to the rear. My '78/E with its 18" wheel is more stable than my '81/H with the 16" rear wheel.

Last edited by pamcopete on October 26, 2009, 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

I am the only one who likes the notch..........great dampener at high speed.........I can smoke a cig at 70 and shake the bars with the other and it is impossible to generate any wobble what so ever......bit weird at 20 but I am used to it......... xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

xsjohn,

John....nobody smokes anymore..... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Pete,

When you live up here in the tobacco state it's mandatory. John just quit rolling his own awhile back. (I think)

xsjohn

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Well it's not medical marijuana anyway........... good idea to have a few drinks though so if you crash it won't hurt so bad......... Idea

nudude.......where have you been hiding........thought you may have slipped and fallen in your grease slick.......... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Absolutely right John, it doesn't hurt until you come out of the anesthesia.
nudude53

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

A. That wasn't grease you stepped in
and
B. Check your PM's

xsjohn

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

At our age it will be the death pannel........... or they just leave you on the side of the road........
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Oh, I'm not scared, there is a Democrat in the family remember? He will save me. He has the perfect role model to guide him through it all.
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchy steering fixed by loosening adjuster nut.

Do banana trees grow here in NC.......... just trying to get prepared... Laughing
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2