650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Fork problem on my XS1B

Fork problem on my XS1B
    Forum Index -> Drive
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Fork problem on my XS1B

So i went to try and install new oil seals and rubber gaitors on my front forks and everything was going okay but I found some strange things inside my forks probably due to the previous owner of my bike.

the left fork disassembled easily and i think everything look fine but the right fork will not come all the way apart. I took some pictures to show you what is going on...

In the picture of both forks you can see how the left one is completely disassembled where the right one the inner and outer tubes will not come apart.

Now the spacers in both fork were completely different. The left fork's spacer is the one with the opening going down the side of the spacer. The right side's spacer appears to be a metal rod that was cut to act like a spacer.

There is a rod in the inside of the outer tube that i think acts a holder for the fork spring and i think that it is bent and therefore getting stuck on the end of the inner tube. Has anyone else ever had these problems?

I'm a little bit clueless...

Taylor

img_0006.jpg
 Description:
both forks. Left side of picture is the left fork
 Filesize:  38.19 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)

img_0006.jpg

img_0005.jpg
 Description:
The fork spacers
 Filesize:  21.69 KB
 Viewed:  306 Time(s)

img_0005.jpg

img_0004.jpg
 Description:
Right fork's spacer all gnarly with rough scars all over it.
 Filesize:  59.78 KB
 Viewed:  323 Time(s)

img_0004.jpg

Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Here is a picture of the rod on the inside of the outer tube that i think holds the spring in place.
This picture is of the left side fork.

img_0007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.44 KB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)

img_0007.jpg

Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Also does anyone have any tips on how to get the chrome dust covers off of the dust seals?

And do i need the dust seals if i'm putting the gaitors on my forks?
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Pleeeeaseee I'm desperate!
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Hello my friend. I've not had one of those apart but in my copy of the manual on page 129 as typed in the little page box it shows how to do it.
" Use a strap wrench to unscrew the outer nut. Inserting the axle will help grip the leg to keep it from turning. Use a piece of inner tube to protect the nuts chrome surface."
I have a Craftsman strap wrench Taylor, if you want to come by and get it from the station. I'll be on duty tomorrow.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Hey thanks John. Im not going to be up that way at all today but i think my dad might have a strap wrench, I'll let you know what happens.

Do any of you know what i should do about the spacers? I think i could just got a piece of steel pipe the only thing is i'm not sure what length to do it. both the spacers in my forks where a little bit different lengths
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

I've looked around at all the OEM parts and the spacers are all discontinued. The hardware store has spacers that are thicker metal and they are longer than mine...

What should i dooo?
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Never used those type forks but, When I got my new tubes from franks forking they came with pvc pipe for spacers. Check youe springs and make sure they are both the same length, and have the same ampount of spring tension. Someone may have done this to compensate for a week spring or the wrong spring would be my guess. pvc can be cut to whatever length you need. without knowing for sure my guess is that both spacers are wrong. I cant eveb tell you what length they are suppose to be. But can tell you that theres thousands of bikes out there running pipe spacers, both plastic and steel. I was told by franks that on extended front ends that for years steel was the prefered way of making up the extension differance. However they are heavier and you get better fork action with the loghter pvc spacers. So that is whay is in my xsl front end and it gets ridden hard on back roads, wheelies etc, with absolutely no failure. Wish I could give you the correct sleeve length.
xsleo

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

On my 75 forks the spacer sleeve looks like the one with the split down thw side. I don't have them apart right now, so I don't have the length.
I would cut a couple new ones from PVC pipe. I would start with them the same length as the one with the split down the side.
Cut some 1/2 inch longer, some 3/4 inch, some 1 inch. Try the shortest first, ride it try the next longest. ride it try the next. Use the ones that feel the best to you.
I looked in my books and a few parts list's, I don't see any 650 fork with a tube inside the spring like you have. Do both sides have tube in the spring?
I think you can leave the dust cover off and put the gaitor on where the dust cover went on the nut. The XS1 was that way, in the pics in my Clymer book anyway.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Oh great! I can definitely try the pvc pipe out for sure.

Xsleo, Are you talking about the rod that i think holds the spring in place on the inside of the outer tube?
because it's not shown in my fork diagram either...
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Yes, I haven't had very many forks apart, but I haven't seen one like that. If it has one in both sides it may be right. If in one side ?

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

I might try assembling them the way the book shows. Leave out any parts the book don't show. Like that tube inside the spring.

Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

The rod inside the picture is a fixed part of the outer fork tube. I don't think it can be removed. I think that the rod on the right side fork is slightly bent because i cannot pull the whole fork apart on that one... that concerns me a little.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

I trust the book more than a PM, previous moron.

Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Will it doesn't look like it's a PM thing. It really looks like it is supposed to be there in my opinion
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Maybe the reason the breakdowns don't show it is because it is part of the lower/outer tube.
aybe some one with more knowledge will step in and help.

Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Yeah i think you're right. I need some more people with these XS1B's man, there's not a whole lot of them out there.
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

But thank you immensely for your help. I'd be in complete despair without it Smile
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

Never despair, Any thing can be fixed. You just have to find the right help. The forums are one of the best places to start your search.

Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork problem on my XS1B

here is a diagram of later fork models and it looks like it has that rod that goes inside the outer tube by part number 8,7,and 6..

but the parts that i have for my forks are not on that diagram. I have the parts of the xs1b diagram just then there's that rod thing....

0ther fork.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.99 KB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)

0ther fork.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1