650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Newbie 6th bike 1st chop
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
mseriously

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Haha. I've seen 2 TC Bros hardtails that look good on a bike, this is the 3rd and it's not even put together as it should be.

For me, every TC Bros hardtail'd bike I see, makes me cry. They just don't look right. Not that they make a bad product by any means, just don't like the way they look.

I like where this build is going...big time creativity.

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i know what you mean man, i am not a fan of the way they are "supposed" to look either. thank god they offer the universal kit. gives a guy a little more room to do their own thing. glad you like it.
Dirka

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

hmmm....i think my bars are too wide hmmm.... what do you think?

i sure am glad i went ahead and beat in the sides of this tank.

Last edited by Dirka on December 3, 2009, 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dirka

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

WTF!! some of my pics on page 3 arent showing up anymore. will you look and see if you can see them all? maybe its just me or my computer. not so computer savvy
danxs650mass

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i looked all the pics on page 3 still there for me i think the bars look fine maybey 1/2 inch to wide if that id ride it frist then decide
Dirka

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

well they are up and working today. thanks for looking dan. yeah you have a point might as well try em first. i can always cut em off later.

i got a sprocket and some bushings in the mail the other day. hopefully i can get to the shop sunday and get my chain idler built.
Dirka

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

here is what i came up with for a chain idler.

think it will work?
toe.

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

that looks really really mean. =)
Dirka

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

now thats what i like to hear or um read. whatever. thanks man
Teebs

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Hey Dirka, just checking in on your build. Hope it's going well. I don't know if I would go with a solid color on the stock tank. They're kind of blocky and removing the stripes might emphasize that fact. Keep building! and keep the pics coming. I'm hoping to get back to mine soon.
Dirka

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Teebs,
glad to hear from you. thought you had left us. i havent decided on a paint scheme yet. the latest idea i am tossing around is to leave it the way it is. the black metallic is in pretty good shape minus a few spots that chipped off during the dish process but that just adds charachter. right?

a few of my other ideas are:
flat black...always cool
gloss black...would look badass shining off the dished area
stripping or sandblasting...for that sweet bare metal patina
bronze...an old timey shade
red...old and faded out though

anyone have any other suggestions for me as far as paint? ill consider anything.
curt698

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Bobbers have never been my thing but the more I see the quality bobbers on this board the more I like them. This is a sick build. One of the reasons I wanted an early 70's bike is to learn on and watching the work you guys that chop your rides do is amazing, much respect. Can't wait to this bike when it's done. BTW stock tank was so fugly can't believe how much better it looks after beating the crap out of it.

Dave

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

beating the hell outta my tank beats the hell outta buying one.
Teebs

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

I didn't say it before, so... sweet job dishing the tank. And I like it just the way it is. the stripes look great with the dishing. And the whole bike... absolutely f*cking killer. One of the nicest flowing bikes I've seen.
Dirka

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

must be doing something right. thanks for the kind words Teebs

oh yeah, i have a chain coming from ebay, if it gets here by sat. ill be able to work on the rear fender mounts. i havent touched it in two weeks i need to get to work or i wont make my spring deadline.
Teebs

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

You're welcome, brother. Thanks for sharing your build.
Dirka

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

you are welcome. this is one helluva site! props to all who make it happen.
Dirka

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

no chain yet dammit. oh well i have plenty to do tomorrow without it. ill update tomorrow. any pic requests?
Custom650

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Just let us know how that chain works out. I'm doing a 4" stretched softy and I'd like an idea of what length chain will work without having to break off links.
Dirka

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Custom650 wrote:
Just let us know how that chain works out. I'm doing a 4" stretched softy and I'd like an idea of what length chain will work without having to break off links.

i should have an answer for you next saturday
Dirka

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

ok so i got a little more done on my forwards, i took my stock bars and cut them up to make my footpegs. the bar can still turn in place i just cant make up my mind on which direction to point it. oh and i know they are kinda low, they will be hinged later wait and see. anyway they should turn out pretty cool. check em out.

first two pics show it pointing parallel with the downtubes and exhaust.

pointing forward.

and pointing straight up.

what do you guys think parallel, forward, or up?
danxs650mass

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

forward is my vote
toe.

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

think i vote parallel. think it looks wicked clean.
just my two cents.
Srinath

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Point it forward and when you hit a big bump, it will stab the tire.
Cool.
Srinath.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5