650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > oil pump

oil pump
    Forum Index -> Engine
silverfox

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 6:25 pm    Post subject: oil pump

lately when i start my 78xs the tapets are quite tappy then after 40 -50 seconds they go silent and the engine runs good i took of the front oil feed pipe and when i turn the engine over thers not much oil getting fed to the top of the engine should i take the oil pump out and check it and is it an easy job as i am not that confadent doing mechanical jobs but il have a go
xsleo

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump

The oil to the top end isn't a great volume. There is a restriction In the adapter between the engine case and the feed tube. It has the restriction to keep enough oil going to the bottom of the engine.
I might check the valve adjustments. If they are good. I don't think I would let a few seconds of noise bother me.
How long since your last oil change? As the miles pile up on the oil, it can get thinner, this can let the valves be a bit noisy.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
silverfox

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump

valve adjustment good and changed oil 300 miles ago. any way thats the least of my worries i cracked the two top feeder pipes as i was taken it of so will have to try and solder them up dont ask how i managed it i was just not taken my time Mad
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump

My 78SE is a little noisey for the first 30 seconds or so, but then quickly goes away. I'd say its normal for these engines.
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump

Mine starts dead quiet......lots of miles too........found an old post of mine on adjusting side clearance in the oil pump..........not hard just don't go too far on the case....rotate case around on the samdpaper (on a flat surface) as to take off evenly...measuring frequently.....lower clearance will boost oil flow........

Once you have finished the pump and placed the impellers back in the case and put the 3 phillips screws in a tight .....spin the pump by hand.........if it hangs then switch the impellers around and retry untill it spins freely..............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
silverfox

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump

its good to hear that its not just my engine thats a little noisey on start up. any way thats the pipes solderd up and re fitted to late at night to start it up and check for leakes so tomorrow will have to do. do any of our uk members have a top feeder pipe for sale ?. thats a good tip john will do that over the winter.
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump

Most of the clattering on a decent engine that people experience is the CR...... that I know for sure...............in 4 hours I went from a normally clattering engine to a quiet one.............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump

Hmmm..."CR"....
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump

Yeah........Spent 65 thousand miles with 8.7-1.......fired that prick that was causing every problem that I hadn't been able to solve...... hired 8-1 and have been happy ever since.......... Very Happy

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1