650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Quick clutch question

Quick clutch question
    Forum Index -> Engine
nickmo

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:02 am    Post subject: Quick clutch question

In short, should my clutch work if the engine is not running? i.e. if the bike is off and in gear, should it roll if I pull the clutch? I had it in gear with the bike on the stand (not running) and couldn't get the back wheel to spin with the clutch pulled.

I was doing some testing this weekend, ratcheted the rear wheel back and forth and got it through all of the gears, and I'm ready to test ride it.

I'll start it and try to get it in gear on its stand, but I didn't wanna go jamming it into gear if some knows something useful.

Aussie650

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

Yep, the bike should roll with the clutch in and in gear. If it is not your having the same problem I am! haha. The Clutch is not disengaging properly. I currently am looking for a 5/16" ball bearing that I dropped when inspecting my clutch cable behind the right side of the engine. Theres some good post on here. A simple adjustment is probably all you need, but didn't work for me.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

The infamous ball bearings in question, while easily lost upon opening the clutch push rod assembly, are also pretty easy to come by at your local hardware store. Pick up several while you're at it as nothing else will do. They're cheap and also known as #10 ball bearings and there are
3 involved in a two piece clutch push rod, just 2 with a single piece push rod. Many posts on this subject abound in the forum archives. Best, Blue

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

Before you start it, put it in 2nd or 3rd gear, pull the (correctly adjusted) clutch and rock the bike back & forward until it frees up.

It wont free up fully (it wont roll like it does in neutral) but you should be able to push the bike along ok. This is clutch drag, the only way to fully cure it is major (read expensive) mods.

The clutch spends 99% of its life engaged (the clutch springs are pushing all the plates together). So if the bike has been sitting a while, when you pull the clutch lever (compressing the clutch springs, allowing the clutch plates to seperate) the clutch plates don't necesarily come apart. A bit of to & fro movement usualy breaks the points where it may be sticking.

Even at there best, these bikes drag a bit on the clutch, so your not looking for perfection, just manageable performance!

Good luck, cheers

Aussie650

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

Thanks Yamaman, Ill give it a go. Had the bike ready for a RWC, started, pull in clutch, into first and bang, Stalled. Took of the right side to check the actuator and thought i heard somthing drop. 15mins later after greasing it up thought to my self, there should be a ball bearing in there! Picking up one tomorrow and will see how it goes.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

Hey Yamaman.....that's pretty good explanation stuff. Makes sense and hadn't thought about it like that. good-on-ya with thanks. Blue

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

Yamaman,
Just so I'm straight- Adjust the clutch, put it in 2nd or 3rd, give it a roll and things should free up. After that, barring a worse problem, it will function and the drag is a relatively normal thing-does that sum it up?

If it still doesn't want to roll I should check in to the bearing issue?

Your answer was pretty clear, by the way. I just don't want to make things any worse than they already are.

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

Cheers Blue, glad it helps!

Nick, I do it every time I start mine (it's not ridden much at the mo)
I put it in 2nd, roll it backwards to take up all the slack & then push it forwards, just a little past where it takes up. Then repeat 3 or 4 times & it's usually ready then.

I have to do it this way, as my bike is either push start, or I use someone elses starter rollers!

On other bikes (bikes that don't drag like these) you need to free the clutch up before starting. Then you can put the bike in say 3rd gear, pull the clutch in & run, run, run drop the clutch & start it! Well hopefully start it anyway...........I've spent a fair amount of time pushing bikes up & down the pits...........Is the fuel on?................Kill switch?........Choke?.......Ahhhhggghhhh the bloody plugs leads are hanging off you moron!!!!!

nickmo

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

I'll give it a shot!
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

Hey Yamaman, us Canadians use a handy device called a starter motor to get the engine fired up. I thought you Aussies would have caught onto starter motors by now................Ha,Ha just kidding...........I know you take them off to save weight Smile
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

We're a pretty hard bunch down under RG, a mate of mine used to bump start his GS 1000 at least 4 times every day (he couldn't keep up with starter clutches for it).

I broke down one day, between both of our sets of legs, we padock pushed my bike home with his for 150 k's

That is, he sat on his bike with his leg on my footpeg, pushing my bike along. We clipped the old ton this way! Shocked

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

That's very resourceful, pushing a bike like that...............sounds a little scary to me!
xsleo

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Quick clutch question

Another way to free up a stuck clutch is to hold the clutch lever in and kick the motor over with the kick start.
If it kicks the same as with out holding the lever in, the clutch is stuck, if it kicks easy then the clutch is free.
It may take a few kicks to get it to free up.
Oh, don't have the key on when you do this, you don't want it to start.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1