650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Flattracker - Streettracker > > six fifty project: my progress

six fifty project: my progress
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker
twinsarehot

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 7:40 am    Post subject: six fifty project: my progress

I started the project not too long ago, my introduction page shows my initial planning for the project. This is the actual build so far, I lost my camera hence a large gap in progress.

-Frame and parts painted
-Cartridge emulators installed
-Progressive fork springs installed with polished forks
-Steering stem and swingarm needle bearings installed
-Rear suspension mounted
-Engine repainted and remounted (polished tappet covers)

Rear inner tube tore while changing tires, waiting on more parts. Currently working on rebuilding brake calipers / MC and drilling brake rotors. I have about 99% of the parts I need waiting to be thrown on.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

Looks like you have done a lot of work and it shows. Keep it up!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
WillP

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

Terrific job. Couple of questions: I am a couple novice but working on my 71. How did you strip and repaint both the frame and the engine? thanks a lot. terrific work. I appreciate your input
twinsarehot

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

Thanks Pumps and Will, glad I'm getting some approval from 650rider.
Will, I returned your PM.

Some updates:
Rotors drilled
Calipers rebuilt and painted
Throttle and grips
Carburetors rebuilt, cleaned and mounted (gaskets replaced, rejet, xsjohn's needle kit)
Rear tire and wheel mounted (d404's)

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

Mock up for the rear fender, any ideas for mounting it onto the swing arm?
Tank is on to show proportions of the bike.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

if you are wanting it to move with the swingarm/wheel bolt front edge to the swingarm center webbing, figure out how much space you want between fender and tire (tires grow at speed) 1"minimum more if you have wires under there, then run braces from fender to the lower shock mounts
twinsarehot

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

jayel wrote:
if you are wanting it to move with the swingarm/wheel bolt front edge to the swingarm center webbing, figure out how much space you want between fender and tire (tires grow at speed) 1"minimum more if you have wires under there, then run braces from fender to the lower shock mounts

Thanks Jayel, that's exactly what I would want to do.

Do you have a suggestion for what type of metal to use for a brace?

I see the available eyelet on the swingarm near the axle, but would that mean the fender would only have two mounting points? (eyelets on both sides of the swingarm) Or is the center webbing different from lower shock mounts you are talking about?

Thanks.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

I would use round rod with flat pieces welded on the ends for the mount points or C-channel like the old front fender braces, something like this
twinsarehot

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

Thanks for the diagram!

Just finished the headlight mount, finishing the seatpan to get upholstered by my friend's girlfriend. Next I'm going to be mounting the rear fender after shaping it.

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

hey guys, update. I recently got a lot of parts onto the bike, handlebar controls, fender, tailight, horn, drive chain, kickstand etc. The seat is being finished by my buddies g/f.

I also finished fabbing my fiberglass battery box, for the wiring (now around 65%) done. Both brakes are working, clutch is connected but it's very hard to move with the clutch pulled in and in gear, common? I'll play with the adjustments.

Here are pictures:

Tank is not mounted yet, still need to work out some kinks. Exhaust is ready to be mounted, and some switches need to be mounted on the glass box. All in all my to do list is dwindling.

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

Lookin' good, did u use the original wiring harness or did you make your own? Also did you remove the original fuel tank mounts on the frame?
Keep the pics coming...
twinsarehot

PostPosted: September 28, 2009, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

I did remove the original tank mounts for the current tank I'm using, it will be held on by the seat and bolts in the front. The wiring I'm doing on my own, using new wiring/switches, but keeping the same wiring from the engine bits. I'm starting to get tired looking at it not running, almost out of season, though I ride plenty in the winter.

PostPosted: September 28, 2009, 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

here is a shot of inside the battery box.

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

The bike should start atm, need to change the oil, adjust the tappets and clean the tank. Wiring still needs the electric starter, horn and hi-lo beam. Also the brake lights don't turn on when the switches are actuated. However, the taillight works.

The box is finished for now, the switches are mounted. The box will stay unfinished to catch the rest of the riding season.

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

also: mikes 2-1 with reverse megaphone is mounted as well, no fitment problems, except that the mufflers block the passenger pegs from being mounted....gotta figure something for that later.

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

What make and model of tires are you running ? Question
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

Good work Twin's.Still plenty of ridin' time, if you got the gear. Only thing that keep's out the cold is leather, chap's, coat, glove's. You'll get to break in those Dunlop's. Might even see ya 'round.,,,Gordo
twinsarehot

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

MAXIM: The tires are Dunlop d404's. I got them both on a mega sale from cruisercustomizing.com (or whatnot) for 120 shipped.

gordo: Oh yeah I know. New England winters get so damn cold, my reasoning for why NE'ers are all assholes, including me lol. I rode all through last winter for my commutes, it gets almost unbearable after 15 minutes going under 40mph, even with gear!

I think I need this topic moved to another build genre lol. This is nothing like I initially planned, def not a tracker. lol.

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

is good for keeping track of it

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

edit

Last edited by twinsarehot on October 10, 2009, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
twinsarehot

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

edit.

Last edited by twinsarehot on October 10, 2009, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
twinsarehot

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

edit

Last edited by twinsarehot on October 10, 2009, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
twinsarehot

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: six fifty project: my progress

Hey Twins, most of the N.E. people are asshalf's, don't have enough brain's to be 'hole's'.

Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2