650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > 2-1 sound, baffle questions

2-1 sound, baffle questions
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
Hobbes

PostPosted: August 2, 2009, 8:40 pm    Post subject: 2-1 sound, baffle questions

So I'm trying to scrounge up an exhaust for the rigid project, and I have a few questions. I'd like to get a deep, forceful tone out of the bike, not anemic but not Harley-loud.

First off, do 2-1 headers change the sound of the bike drastically? I scoured YouTube for clips, but the only 2-1 pipe video didn't have the bike revving. It seemed like the 2-1 made it sound a bit more racy, more like a 4 cylinder.

Secondly, can straight pipes be baffled to reduce the noise? I like the look of no mufflers but not the racket and the loss of low end. I found these on ebay:

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...06.c0.m245

Do baffles like these reduce noise and/or change the exhaust tone, or are they just intended to provide some backpressure for drag pipes?

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting a used 2-1 header and welding an extension to the collector (to move the muffler back, since the frame is stretched), then topping with an upswept cocktail shaker. Has anyone tried a similar setup?

Thanks for any input.
Jack

PostPosted: August 2, 2009, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2-1 sound, baffle questions

Personally I feel any type of baffles inserted in drag pipes does more harm than good by creating a higher resistance point and by the perforated baffle design.
If you want a really kick ass deep tone that isn't annoying,try a canister type muffler like D&D,etc,should be able to get'em relatively cheap from a salvage yard or Ebay
Depending how low you set your ridged up,those 2 to 1s might scarp on the right side going through the corners,they're known for that.
schtipp

PostPosted: August 3, 2009, 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2-1 sound, baffle questions

i think those baffles are just to give the pipes some back pressure. any sound difference would probably be negligable. small motors need some back pressure to run right at the lower range.

PostPosted: August 3, 2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2-1 sound, baffle questions

You might try Big City Thunder Monster Baffles. They are available straight from the manufacturer. You just measure the ID of your pipe and order the corresponding baffle. They keep that open pipe sound but deepen the tone and get rid of the highs that really hurt your ears. They also give you some back pressure bringing back all the lost torque. No, I don't work for them but I run them in my Warrior and they improved my low end and mid range torque quite significantly.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1