650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Tearing down my 77

Tearing down my 77
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

I'm not going to worry about the rims for awhile anyway.

I did find what I think are the grommets on mikes site. Damn those banjo bolts were on tight! Had to get the boy to hold it while I cranked on it.
Ok here's ANOTHER issue. The inside of my master cylinder looks very clean and so does the fluid. I have new ss lines and new pads to put on but as I look at the master cylinder where the reservoir sits atop the metal part there is some..corrosion? Like the reservoir has seeped sometime? Trying to decide if I should just disassemble ,clean and paint-it seems to work fine, rebuild-have to check on kit prices, or just replace the darn thing all together.
Need to get the caliper apart too to get a look at the guts.
Brakes are sort of important....

My Bikes

Last edited by pumps on September 4, 2009, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

pumps seem to recall you have a old beat-up hammered out 77D? the MC cup can be removed from the resevior, held in/sealed by a large O-ring at the bottom of the cup, which probably dried out at some time and passed brake fluid leading to your corrosion so if you decide to paint it it can be done, re-lubing o-ring with a rubber grease upon re-assemble, take a look at 3M's MC's if you want to go for the up-graded MC
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Yeah it IS beat up. I'm trying to knock the dents out of her. Looking through the rebuild kits mike has rebuild kit part #08-0219 @$19.00 and a Reservoir Cap & Diaphragm Kit for $34 , a new one doesn't seem so far off.
And jayel if you are not busy tomorrow, We will be hanging out at the VJMC Rally in St. Joe, MO all day . Look for the Black Bomber with 2136 miles on it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 11, 2009, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Gaiters on.

I've looked in my Clymer for a torque value or info on the nut that holds the top triple on but couldn't find anything. Any ideas? Maybe some threadlock or something?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

New handlebar damper bushings.

Forks are coming together.

I bought the right side for headlight ear bracket thingy off ebay but it has a little bracket on it that the bent dented one I took off did not. I wonder what it is for? The one in the microfiche also has the bracket.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

I think that extra bracket was there to hold the brake hose. MY 75 has one for that.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

How does it attach? Some kind of clamp? I'll come up with something to hook it with. Didn't put the hose clamps on the tops of the gaiters yet as you can see. Of course I've forgotten to correctly route my clutch and throttle cables and will have to take it apart to fix it but hey at least I KNOW it!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

xsleo wrote:
I think that extra bracket was there to hold the brake hose. MY 75 has one for that.
yes a (P) clamp goes around the hose

xsleo

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Some folks call them Adle, Addle Not sure how it's spelled. A small P clamp that is rubber covered. Since I converted over to a later model forks, I don't use that bracket.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 12, 2009, 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

I think it is like the one down near the caliper. I'll figure it out now that I know what it is for. I'll find something at Westlake Ace in their specialty section. I know they have those clamps in nylon. That'll work.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Haven't updated in a bit. After inspection of my front master cylinder and consideration of rebuild or replace I decided to replace for about $20 additional. The caliper after inspection I ordered a rebuild kit for and a new piston. The old piston was pitted and brakes being important to me I opted for a new one. New master cylinder. Gotta get that fitting rotated

New and old pitted caliper piston.

Got the clear coat off the rim, rotor mounted with new hardware.

Gauges and stuff back on.

NOS gauge bracket and gauge cups installed with new shiny acorn nuts.

NOS 76' chrome instead of stock black headlight bucket . OMG look at all those WIRES! But all the connections have been cleaned with DE-Oxit.

Shiny forks and gaiters.

Safety bulletin. When using air blow gun to remove old piston from caliper go slowly and before the piston comes out make sure your finger is NOT in the way! If it IS you might have to use something , ANYTHING,to push the piston back into the bore, thus freeing your stuck and smashed finger...hopefully no one will see you. Embarassed

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Pump's, how's that fingernail feel? I didn't feel a thing!! Oh, I just wanted to let you know that the rubber thingy that hold's the speedo cable work's in that hole for the brake hose.I used a p clamp , but I have a spare rubber thingy, will try it this winter tear down...
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Oh well then I have a brand spanking new front fender and a new speedo loop to put on it. I'll try to carefully remove the loop off the old fender to put on that bracket.

The first coupla days the finger hurt like hell and throbbed. Seemed like I hit EVERYTHING with it and everyone who I shook hands with caught it too. Now only if I smack it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
nokitov

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Hey Pumps,
Haven't been online for a most of the summer, laid up from surgery and especially haven't read the 3 pages on this post but dang those front shocks look awfully good. Did you just polish them or are you vigilent about keeping up the shine?

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

I removed the very thick clear coat and sanded them smooth but ran across an old man who has been polishing for a long time who polished them reasonably. Worked on the headlight wiring tonight but I got frustrated and walked away from it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Oh yea Pump's, that finger is THE target for everything & anything. I gotta say those front tube's look absolutely gorgeous. Are you gonna clear-coat them or just keep polishing them? Did the "old guy" have a wheel & buffer? Been thinking about getting a buffer on a grinder from Harbor Freight. But I 'spose you could do a reasonably good job with a hand held buffer.
Every time I get a like that, I heat up a safety pin red hot & 'touch' the nail to let the blood out. Less pressure, less throb. The one's that I really dislike are the one's that turn black instantly. You know, the one's that cause a 45 minute rampage of obscenity's.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Thank you for the compliments. I'm going to keep them polished , at least until I have a reason to clear coat them again. The old guy did have a shop by his house out in the country and claimed to have been polishing for 51 years. Lots of local custom hot rodders bring stuff to him. You saw the job he did on the top triple tree? Look at some of the pictures posted.
If the finger hurt worse I would put a hole in the nail but it's getting better. I've some small natural gas orifice drill bits that I've used in the past to carefully put a hole in the nail.
Got my brake line banjo fitting rotated to hook up to the new master cylinder with Petes help see my post over here: 650rider.com/index.php...4686#74686

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

I like those line's from Mike's. Theyr'e better & last longer then the rubber line's. Cheeper too. The SS line's also do not 'bulge' when braking, like the rubber. That triple tree look's great,too. Well, I'm off to go watch the inside's of my eyelid's, Formula One is on @06:00, under the lite's in Singapore. Great work,Pump's.
despecial

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

my tx parts book gives a # for the brake hose holder...351-25887-01

34-1802 mikes # for the original high shoulder alu rims (rain catcher rims)...i have these as original and they look good but you do have to keep them clean

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

hmmm-no edit...we have a guy here in deutschland who turns up nice stainless bits for the xs including pistons for the brakes...he is on ebay-(kellerkind)...the dollar may make this expensive though
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Need a pointer on my caliper rebuild. There is an H shaped clip that goes in the bottom under the pads. It has on the bottom a tab or tongue that sticks down. Does that go to the outside and under the screw? or the piston side? I think the piston side yes? Sorry about the crap cell phone pic.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
despecial

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

the piston side away from the pads

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

looking good.... is that the master cylinder from mikes. I assembled my front brake system to only find that the master is leaking.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5