650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 27, 2009, 5:45 am    Post subject: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

How hard it will be to change I know it's just a matter of changing the neck just not sure exactly how springers work as far as the tripple tree part is I don't know if there is adjustment like there is on regular tripple trees and Should I stay with 7/8 bars or move up to 1"?? I'm gonna run a 2" under stock.

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

From what I have read, if you have the tapered roller bearing in the neck of you 650 frame, just using the 1" bearings the springer uses, it bolts right in. The springer stem is a bit shorter. thinning the top nut should get the upper tree down on right.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

So is 2" under the right size to make it sit stock height?? Has anybody had any experience on the ebay ones or the demonscycle ones there like 385 shipped either chrome or powder coated black and chrome I hate to buy a cheap one that is gonna bend....

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

where do I get a 1" bearing like that? Maybe a harley shop but do I tell them I want a 1" neck bearing or what the heck do I ask for?

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

you will need the tapered neck bearing set that mikesxs sells, and 1" tapere trailer bearings from what I have read. Basically use only the bearing races from mikes set.
LDO107

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't kn

Black Widow, I'm in the process of researching this mod as well. From everything I've read, 2 under will get our bikes just about level which is what I'm after, especially after hard-tailing the rear.

As for how to get 1 inch neck bearings, you can get them off ebay as well. They're just regular 1 inch timken bearings, I think I've got an old box with the PN still on it (i'll check tonight).

If you don't want to just use trailer wheel bearings as suggested earlier, you could go to the HD place and tell them you need neck bearings for an 05 Sportster (or pretty much any style HD) as my 05 sporty had a one inch neck.

PM sent.
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't kn

you guys seem to be right on track and the 2" under will look great Wink
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

I thought I read where a 2" under will make the bike sit low so is a stock one normal height?? I seen how to measure the forks but it doesn't seem right maybe I misread it can someone elaborate.

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

For your bearings you'll save a lot of money if you take your old ball type out measure the ID of your neck and go to your local bearing supplier with that number and ask for a 1inch ID and whatever your OD is be like 10.00 bucks that what I did with my old cb 750 chop. No troubles
LDO107

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't kn

blackwidow wrote:
I thought I read where a 2" under will make the bike sit low so is a stock one normal height?? I seen how to measure the forks but it doesn't seem right maybe I misread it can someone elaborate.

BWidow,
check this thread out:
springer

XSLeo explains it well. bottom line: 2 under will get you really close to the where our bikes are right now.
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't kn

LDO107 wrote:
blackwidow wrote:

BWidow,
check this thread out:
springer

XSLeo explains it well. bottom line: 2 under will get you really close to the where our bikes are right now.
Yup Yup that stance is nice

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

Widder, Welcome back!!! Glad to see your gettin' grease under the fingernail's again. I want to wish you the best of luck on this one, and if it's only half as nice as the last one, itl'l be great. I knew you'd be back, just not so soon.,,,Gordo,,,PS, let's not let the smoke out of this one!!!LOL
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

I'm not going no where Gordo my house remodeling will start winding down and it's full throttle on the bike then I'm gonna build my other bike I'll keep everyone updated when I do actually dive right in.

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

I have been reading about the springer front ends. I have always like the look of a springer. I have heard that the DNA is a good one, and the price is good.
I think I might get one for my next build.
Checking with some of the bobber/chopper sites will probably have much more info on the how to.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

Check out Ebay Item number#360174898063 I know it's not the right size but is that a good one??

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

Would it look ghey to run a springer with out a hardtail?
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

My bike is hardtailed just look at the pic under my name

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

but I have one that isn't
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

Oh so your gonna springer it with no hardtail??

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

that was the thought. Figured since we were talking about springers, I would see if anyone had seen an XS done that way. I am still debating whether to restore or bob my 78.
blackwidow

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

You should bob it

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't kn

i am starting to lean that way more and more. Seen some nice photos of bikes guys made a drop seat section for, and retained the rear shocks. looks sick as f***. Thinking it would look good with a springer too

Joseph

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

If done right , like you are saying I think a springer would be fine on a soft tail. Harly makes a soft tail springer , right?
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about a springer with a stock rake but don't know

Yeah, but it's made to look like a hardarse:

motorcycles.about.com/...STSSE3.htm

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2