650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Electrical and Lighting > > Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Yamaha Banshee mag questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting
bassgoat1979

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

I'm new to the site first off. How ya doin!

I'm going to get a 1979 XS650 Monday for a second attemt at a brat bobber. I wanted to run it with kick only and no battery and seen that you can run a Banshee mag system for it.

How exactly do you do this, do you have to have a CDI or can I keep my points for nestalga?

I was wondering if there was a wireing diagram for it, or will it be clear cut?

Thanks for any replys, and great site!
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Welcome bassgoat1979, look in the Vault under "Alternative Alternators" Should answer most of your questions
Photo Gallery
wally

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Hi
Sorry to but in
BUT
Can anyone tell me what year model this RZ Alternator comes from or does it not matter wrecker tells me it does matter
www.xs650.org.au/Alternators.htm
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Wally, for Australia anyway, a RD250/350LC & RZ250/350 alternator is identical. Earlier air cooled RD's may be similar, though I'm not familiar with them.

The best man I know of in Aus is Steve at BettaBikes in SA

www.bettabikes.com/

Very friendly & helpful, he built the system for my bike which has a RZ rotor & a custom wound single phase stator, with a adapter plate similar to the one in your link. The only difference being mine has a tab on it to mount a RZ pick up coil, as he made a custom crank triggered CDI unit for mine.

So if your serious about converting to a perm mag, give him a call first, he's very aproachable & bound to have some good info for you, cheers

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Also a 350 Banshee is very similar, though I'm led to believe slightly different. Not sure exactly how different........A Banshee engine is for all intent & purpose a RD350LC engine....ie it doesn't have power valves like the RZ
wally

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Can you use the Banshee back plate with the RZ set uo or just use the RD650lc stater & rotor
despecial

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

- later model rd and rz, banshee 3 phase permanent magnet alternators are all useable, there are some differences with backing plates

- what is important are the rotor and the stator-103X42X20MM

- there are adapter plates available

www.cokaste.de/4655/4682.html

or ash in aus had some made too, perhaps he will get more done

ashillcoat @ bigpond.com

- mount the rec/reg somewhere it will get plenty of airflow

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Its a lot easier than your being told
dpmphoto

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

just get on ebay and grab a few parts I'll show u how to wire it.should be able to get all the parts for about $150. you"ll need a reg/rect too,i bought a new one for $35 for a suzuki gs550.

flywheel.jpg
 Description:
standard banshee flywheel,dont get the new lighter one.
 Filesize:  302.42 KB
 Viewed:  562 Time(s)

flywheel.jpg

coil.jpg
 Description:
honda interceptor coil,there's a list of useable coils at the garage
 Filesize:  292 KB
 Viewed:  629 Time(s)

coil.jpg

plate.jpg
 Description:
banshee adjustable plate bolts right on
 Filesize:  330.05 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)

plate.jpg

dpmphoto

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

forgot if you click on the pics they"ll come up big with good detail so u can see everything
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

dpmphoto, If you start up a new thread with a comprehensive write up with pics, Points or electronic ignition, it can be incorporated into the vault
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Sounds like a plan,I'll get to it sometime this week
wally

PostPosted: November 18, 2009, 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Am picking up a RZ350 Sator & rotor for $200 Aus is that a fare price here
yoy think
Or should I hold out for the Rd250 complete engine for $100 Aus
but yet dont know if it has a stator & rotor on it
despecial

PostPosted: November 18, 2009, 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

wally...200 bucks sounds a lot - when i convert it to euros its still a lot
- be aware that there are early and late model alternators - you want the late model

dpm...is there an empty space behind that banshee backing plate - have you needed to pack behind the plate where the 2 screws go through

PostPosted: November 18, 2009, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Just recived emails from four wreckers ,
3 @ $200 Aus
1 @ $265 Aus
200 seems to be the average around here
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 18, 2009, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Wally, When i priced a couple i was quoted in the 200-240. I asked Terry Glidden what he thought and he said it was ok but may come across one for 100-150 if i was prepared to wait and look around.

Have you gone through the club site and asked around?
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: November 18, 2009, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

i guess if you wanted to u could put something behind the plate,I didnt. The banshee plate fits snug into the tabs keeping it perfectly aligned just like the original stator.I have 3000 miles on one and about 1000 on the others with no problems what so ever.Those prices sound a little high u should be able to pick up a banshee flywheel for 60-100 american and a stator for 50 or so hell u can get a new stator (honda vf 500) through electro sport for around 120. I know prices have gone way up since I did my first one because everyone is doing it now.I would also double check on the rz stator being a two stroke I'm not sure that it puts out the same amount of energy as say the honda vf 500.I think I read that somewhere when doing research.Pamco Pete should have those answers I know he had some input on the original garage post.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Quote::
Those prices sound a little high u should be able to pick up a banshee flywheel for 60-100 american and a stator for 50 or so hell u can get a new stator (honda vf 500) through electro sport for around 120.

Considering we are discussing the local Australian availability and prices for parts
Photo Gallery
despecial

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

dpm- i can see that the backing plate is located well but i have to say i feel uneasy about this conversion- if i calculate correctly there is about 5mm gap between the bottom of the plate and the casing where the mounting screws are positioned ... even when they are locktited into the casing threads the typical xs650 characteristics are quite likely to set up a harmonic vibration that will loosen these screws over time, with catastrophic results - this is further compounded by drilling the hole on the left as you have - where is the existing material strength - this hole is drilled in a position where there is very little material integrity - i personally wouldnt want to deal with any freeplay developments - theres not much room between the stator and a rotor bound directly to the crank

- mounting a ring in the freespace with countersunk screws, cutting the pickup mount off and slight shaping will allow you to turn this plate a little to use the 3 existing mount points giving you a very strong connection

- just my thoughts

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

There's no gap between the plate and the case,otherwise I would have adjusted that situation:furthermore the tabs that center the plate hold it in nicely and there's next to nothing as far as stress on the plate as it is just holding the stator which does not rotate and is basically floating in a magnetic field if there was a problem u would think that one of the 3 bikes I own or the 2 others I did with friends would have failed by now especially considering the dramatic change in temp in upstate NY. we ride year round if there's no snow on the road. Been riding 2 years now with these mods and have never had a problem. Sure there's better ways to do things if you have the time and money.
tito650

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

i know lotsa guys that have done it just like that.. no problems works realy well ! Very Happy
Photo Gallery
wally

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Hi All
Im having problems with finding the right rotor
Does anyone know what numbers are on the rotor for a RZ250?

Thanks
despecial

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

...should be the same rotor as the LC or YPVS RD250-350-500, banshee etc
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Banshee mag questions

Wally, most RD/RZ parts start with 4LO......... Don't know if that helps!

Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2