650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Electrical and Lighting > > charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special
    Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting
ross9326

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 1:19 pm    Post subject: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

ok folks..please help..we own a 82-xs650...it fails to charge correctly..the stator unit was replaced once before and it made 14.1 volts when running...now..we replaced the reg/rect unit with a brand new one..the bike still after having a brand new battery and brushes installed to chargeing system fails to charge correct...we went to ride the bike..the battery was dead..we replaced it, then the reg/rect was replaced..still no help..then the battery..still no charge, brushes..new...nothing...now we replaced the entire charging assembly with a used one it charges fine for a couple thousand miles...now it appears to have died again...anyone know where to look for starters and anyone know how to ''properly '' test the windings? our book says but it really dont tell ya what ya need to know in detail...someone has to know these chaging systems Rolling Eyes very well..they been around way to long..please feel free to contact me..we need technical help here..thanks !
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

My stators read .7 ohms between all the white wires and the rotor should read 5 ohms or better between the rings.......good idea to stand off the round case a bit so it stays a lot cooler in there.......water hurts nothing ....constant dirt roads and sand might.........mines been open 60 thousand....

Got the bike at 10 thou.....the PO had just replaced the rotor....th stuff in there can last if kept cool...........discounting a short somewhere....

xsjohn

stator open.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.27 KB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)

stator open.jpg

Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

We need some key information. What is the voltage across the battery at 1200 RPM (wait a few minutes after starting to measure)? What is the battery voltage at 3000 RPM?

It would also be helpful to know the voltage between the 2 brushes on the alternator, again measured at 1200 and at 3000 RPM.
Photo Gallery
ross9326

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

ok...heres my question...to measure across the 2- brushes...put the neg side of the meter on a good frame ground the the hot on a brush end...or measure directly across the 2- brushes? not really a idiot here..just dont know the proper means of testing. also....if i take a tester and measure resistance across the white leads they should all read equal..correct? ...next question...do the brushes send in electricity or send it out? basically i need this..nobody has ever told me just how this type system actually functions..if i had the basic's as to how it works i'd feel much better in trying to repair it..my test equipment is basically a ohms meter along with another unit that measures ac/dc voltage ect....electricians type meter.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

Try this. Curly's Charging System Trouble Shooting Guide

xs650temp.proboards.co...hread=3461

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
ross9326

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

ok...heres the deal...today i done a check at 1200 & 3,000 rpm off the top of the battery...it reads like this showed 12.09volts @ 1200 ...then at 3,000 rpm it showed 14.20 volts........... now at the brushes ..with the motor off the right side brush showed 11.28 volts ..the left side brush only showed about 1-volt..ok, for the feeler gauge magnet test..if you turn the key on it pulls the feller to the end of the crank ok, shows magnitism, then if you put it to the right side brush it shows good magnetism...for the left side brush, very little magnetism...ok, does this help anyone decifer whats up here? all help is greatly appreciated.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

ross9326

Well, if you are getting 14.2 @3,000 RPM then there is nothing wrong with your charging system.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

Possibly you have something shorting to ground killing the battery when it sits. I suppose on an 82 you have multiple fuses in the fuse box. You could put a meter on the fused circuits to determine if one of the circuits is drawing voltage while it is shut off (draining the battery). If you can isolate in that way you could trace and inspect the wires , connections etc for a short to ground.
You could also pull all the fuses and see if it still drains the battery.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
ross9326

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

I CLEANED ALL THE WIRE CONNECTORS FOR THE STATOR WINDINGS TODAY...ALL SEEMS WELL NOW...WILL GO UP TO A LITTLE OVER 14.50...NOW OVER 3,000 RPM...APPEARS IT WAS SLIGHTY CORRODED IN THE PLUG IN'S. DAD'S 78 NOW AND DIDNT WANNA TAKE THE AIR BOX OFF TO CLEAN IT..WELL..I DID..IT'S OK NOW..THANKS
Photo Gallery
ross9326

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issue ..1982 xs650..heritage special

i'd personally like to thank anyone that took the time to reply to my topic..the bike seems just fine now after cleaning a connector and replacing 1- brush..seems that dad failed to get the brush installed correctly..it was in deep enogh..fixed..works great now..thanks all !! mike ross p.s. this bike is for sale now ..it will be listed on ebay soon...anyone with any serious interest please email me...a couple photo's of this bike has been posted here in the site ..will say ' don ross, winchester, in.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1