650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
tito650

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

i'm no stranger to turbos my latest project a twin turbo mustang i built. i'm highly doughtful that motor will be able to take it with out any internal mods. or even make good use of that turbo . have u thought about a hair dryer stuck in each carb Laughing

but realy good luck i hope i'm wrong Razz
Photo Gallery
newelly

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

skye,
how did you get the swing arm to mount up, I am looking to run a mono swing arm... i have swing arms from a seca II and yz600, not sure which one I want to use, what was the width of the swing arm at the pivot and did you have to mill any off the buell swing arm?

Photo Gallery
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

newelly wrote:
skye,
how did you get the swing arm to mount up, I am looking to run a mono swing arm... i have swing arms from a seca II and yz600, not sure which one I want to use, what was the width of the swing arm at the pivot and did you have to mill any off the buell swing arm?

I haven't actually set the swingarm up yet, it's just mocked into place. The one good thing about the Buell swingarm is that it's pretty narrow at the pivot, so making it fit isn't too tough. I'll keep everyone informed once I get it set up properly.

Got a fair amount of work done on the intake manifold recently:

here you can see the plenum and the throttle body feeding it, and here's a few shots that show the positioning:

tight fit, but it'll clear Smile

In this shot you can see the holes I've cut for the runners, and also you can see my finished intake flanges:

I don't have the mandrel 90's I need to finish up the runners yet, or the alumnium injector bosses, but I should have those ordered soon. I also cut out the caps for the sides of the plenum, but I'm not going to weld those in place until everything else is welded up.

Also, I'm going to build a short bracket from the Throttle body to the upper motor mount to help support the manifold.

I'm having a blast welding this aluminum, it's really interesting material to weld, For my first major project I feel like it's going pretty good:

Also, on my previous project I cut up a handlebar I had lying around because I needed to make some spacers out of it for my calipers. All the time I was thinking I'm going to regret this because I'm going to need this eventually. Yep, sure did Smile
So I got a length of 7/8" aluminum round stock and made sure everything was super straight and welded it on:

Anyone need an ultra long clip-on?

Now I just need to smooth the weld, cut it to factory length and tap the end for a bar end if I so choose.

Thanks for lookings guys, hope to keep updating fairly regularly but you all know how life keeps getting in the way of what we want to be doing!

Sky
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Yeah buddy, got my front end in today, 2007 GSXR 600 forks and lower triple.

Looks like my assumptions are correct, the fork size is the same as ZX6r forks, so I can use my Kawi clip-ons, and also I'm going to use a Kawi upper triple.

Some pics, the bike visually is starting to come together, also I get my front wheel tomorrow, so expect to see some pics with that in place tomorrow sometime.

thanks
Sky
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Got my front wheel on today! Mocked up anyway....

I'm really really liking how this bike looks right now. Should be awesome when finished:

thanks
Sky
oldkarkid

PostPosted: June 18, 2009, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Killer lookin bike! Makes my ChopRocket look a lot less unique!!!! haha How are you planning on getting the chain around that fat swingarm?
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Sorry for the delay, I was off on a trip for a few days.

eanwhile today I did some more work on the intake manifold. It seems to be shaping up nicely so far, the injector bungs are in the mail and should be here on Thursday, but I'm clean out of argon gas, and don't really have the money for more right now, so updates might be a bit slim for the immediate future Sad

Anyway, here's some pictures:

As you can see the runners are fully welded to the flanges, and are not even tacked to the plenum yet. A bit more work needs to be done to the tops of the runners to make them fit as well as possible.

A quick note about the runners, I was originally going to order some mandrel bent 90 degree elbows, but the thickest I could find them in was 16ga which is a waste of time trying to weld that to 1/2" aluminum. So I went to my local supply place and picked up a length of tubing which had the proper diameter I wanted. The catch? It's sch45 tubing, think that's thick enough Wink
So quite a bit thicker than I needed, but hey, stronger is better right?

Anyway, hopefully things will turn around for me fairly quickly here and you'll get some better updates.

Later
Sky
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

oldkarkid wrote:
How are you planning on getting the chain around that fat swingarm?

Thanks man!

I have rectangular square tubing that I'm going to cut a section out of the left side of the swingarm, insert the tubing, and cut/weld/blend it into place
Teebs

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Sky,

Definitely hoping things turn around quickly for you.

Your projects are awesome to watch unfold. It's extremely cool to see you take a crazy idea and just run with it. Thanks for not being stingy with the pics and words. Looking forward to more as soon as you are able.
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

I was able to get started on the collector for the turbo manifold:

Also I got the injector bungs in the mail, drilled the runners for them and welded one side in place. Not so happy about my aluminum welding right now, I need more practice:

A few new pictures from tonight. Got the other injector bung welded into place, still not great welding, wish I has a chance to do some scrap welding on aluminum to get my skills up to par. Anyway just a few shots of the bike together with the turbo mocked into its final position:

Everything is a pretty tight fit!

Check out my sweet exhaust Smile

I just think this picture is cool, when was the last time you saw injectors on an XS650?

Thanks
Sky
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Here's a couple quick pics of the turbo manifold I'm making:

I determined awhile ago that I would be able to check the oil on this bike, so you'll notice the pipe snakes nicely around the oil dipstick tube Smile

asking tape is an excellent tool for mocking up tubing

That's about where I'm at now, that side that still has masking tape in the picture has been tacked into place. Due to how the head ports are placed on these engines it's impossible to build the manifold as one peice, so likely one or both sides will have a flanged section that comes apart for installation or removal.

Thanks again for looking in....
Sky
Greenbean3521

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Looking Awesome!!!
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Thanks man!

I thought it would be cool to put up some pictures of both my bikes since they're both based off of the same platform:

The chopper when I got it:

The sportbike when I got it:

The chopper now:

The sportbike now:

you'd never guess the sportbike is two years older Smile
Abraxxas1127

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Very nice work, keep it up and thanks for sharing your ideas and creations!
'79 Yamaha XS6-fiddy Special
Photo Gallery
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

God bless....you make some bad bikes man. Nice work
2-Skinny

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Looks good. Are you sure placing the injectors that low is optimal?
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

2-Skinny wrote:
Looks good. Are you sure placing the injectors that low is optimal?

the injectors are basically injecting directly into the intake valves. Whether that's completely optimal? I dunno. I went with what I thought would work best. I'm sure an engineer can chime in here and tell me I'm wrong Laughing
jimxsrider

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

So when are you going to work upper motor mounts into that mess?
Ken99

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Incredible. Here I am sweating how I'm going to mount my battery under my seat.
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

So, been awhile since I've actually had any updates on this thing. Combination of factors; welder is at work, working on other things, kinda burned out on it for awhile, that sort of thing Smile

Anyway, just a quick post to let you know what's new.

Got a few parts in, got my Kawi upper triple:

Here's my new intercooler. It's a perfect size! It originally came as a side mount intercooler on an Audi S4:

This probably isn't the final mounting position, but I'm trying out a bunch of different spots. It will be mounted to the downtubes in some fashion though.

Here's a couple of distance shots showing how the bike looks currently. Also you can see my 2005 ZX6R seat:

Got my cush drive in:

This is what sucks, because of the gearing in these bikes I need to use a 30 tooth sprocket, that's pretty small. So there's going to be lots of milling on this cush drive to make it compatible with the new sprocket. I'll also have to cut an adapter plate:

y brother owns a 2004 ZX6R and he recently got hit by a car. He's ok, but they totalled the bike out. He bought it back and is parting it out. He's going to give me the complete braking system and rearsets! Whoohoo, stuff like this never happens!

Also, here's what's been keeping the majority of my attention:

I've been trying to teach my wife to ride, but she gets really intimidated by bikes. So I tried to find the least intimidating bike EVER Smile

I've spent the last month refurbishing it, it's almost ready to go, just a little bit more work.

It's going to be a surprise for her, don't ruin it! Smile

Anyway, hope to start back up on this soon and get some work done.

thanks for looking
Sky
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Awesome stuff Sky, keep it up!

You'd probably check anyway......But make sure anything you bolt out the front of the frame will clear the front wheel at full fork compression!
Sounds obvious, but I've seen what can happen! Smacking the front wheel into the cooler under hard braking....Ouch!
Cheers

benjamoid14

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

You will have to let me know how the milling on the cush drive turns out, I am running f2 rear wheel, and f3 front wheel on my bike too.

PostPosted: October 14, 2009, 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Will do, hopefully it goes well, I'm stalling on getting it done Smile

I'm still alive.

After a two month hiatus I'm back working on the bike.

But first, went to a local car show this last weekend with my other bike. Wasn't able to be in the show because it's cars only, but here are a few of my favorites.

Nice oval window bug

Neat chopped truck

Crazy chopped car

Really nice Chevelle

This Nova was crazy, bass boat style metal flake on this car. Way too overpowering during the day, but it looked amazing at night, tons of power as well.

This Nova was really clean. After this bike a Nova this style is going to be my next project.

And in my opinion here's the craziest car there

1967 Camaro, LS7 Kenne Bell supercharged. has a TKO 6-speed in it, dyno tested, puts out 817HP and 922LB torque, absolutely ridiculous. And the engine bay is clean enough to eat from, easily. Also the rear rims have about 8" of dish. I can't even think about all the money in this car. Super nice guy owned it.

OK on to the bike stuff.

Here's a few shots of the stuff I got from my brother after his bike accident

I've decided to scratch the swingarm I had, it just wasn't working out, I was going to have to put hours and hours into modifying it, and it still wouldn't be right, so I did the right thing and bailed on it. Now I'm building one from scratch. Here's the start of it, the axle adjustment plates. You'd be surprised how much work went into these things. I started off with square tubing that was too large, so I had to cut it down and weld it back together, then shape it. I've still got a bunch more work to go on them.

Here's the start of the swingarm pivot point

I started building my subframe/tail section. Please reserve judgement on this until it's done, remember that the actual tail section will resemble the KTM RC8 tail.

and a quick pic of the RC8 tail to refresh your memory

You can see from these pictures that I also relocated the shock mounting point. The new swinarm will allow the shock to be mounted low like that which will give me the clearance I need for the turbo and exhaust. Should be a much better solution, albiet not as nice looking.

Also, working in my Dad's garage is very cramped, fortunately he was already going to build an addition to it, and I just am helping him along. This is going to be our new fab area once it's all together. Concrete floor with be poured probably Friday, and the walls will go up next week sometime, can't wait to get it done!

thanks
Sky
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Glad your still around Sky, awesome car show! Cheers

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3