650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

hi, was wondering if anyone is using the stock axle/chain adjusters on a frame with weld-on hardtail.

I am thinking of using them flipped forward.

If anyone has detailed pics of stock axle adjuster used on a hardtail I would really appreciate seeing them.
Am wondering how big of a hole the adjuster screw needs to screw up against so it can't move side to side or whatever. Trying to figure out what I might need to weld on to the axle plate for the adjuster screw to set in to firmly.

thx
calicruiser

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

dude, I wouldn't do it. You are going all out and hardtailing the frame so why use the stock adjusters??? At the very least weld a nut to the outside of the axle plate and run a long bolt through it and use that as an adjuster!
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

calicruiser wrote:
dude, I wouldn't do it. You are going all out and hardtailing the frame so why use the stock adjusters??? At the very least weld a nut to the outside of the axle plate and run a long bolt through it and use that as an adjuster!

hmm...what do you use to hold the axle then? I see some people using the old style Harley adjusters, which is basically a long bolt with a circle at the end, and the circle goes around the axle. I could do that, but I'm wondering what HD adjuster to buy.
I already have a pair of old Triumph adjusters of that same type that I COULD use, but the threaded part isn't long enough.
BTW, frame already has a piece of tubing welded on, if I wanted to go this route.
Its true that it would look cleaner as the stock adjusters are kinda big and ugly.
Have been looking around for "universal" axle adjusters but not coming up with anything.

thx

So I was thinking maybe something like this, but without the end plate.

jp cycles
Just run them through the piece of tubing on the axle plate that is already there. But they're too wide, probably not sized right for 650's axle, etc.
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

just got these:

debrix 3/4 in adjusters

should work, as Sporty axle is 3/4 like XS axle.
calicruiser

PostPosted: March 6, 2009, 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

xs axle is slightly larger than 3/4" so you will have to drill those ones out. If your axle goes through your axle plates, you only need an adjuster putting pressure towards the rear of the bike. the chain tension and tightening the axle down will hold it in place if that is what you were talkin about in your previous post. good luck man

josh
calicruiser

PostPosted: March 6, 2009, 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

hey, scroll down to the 3rd pic on this link. this is what we use as adjusters on our hardtails.

www.freewebs.com/glcho...dtails.htm

josh
G&L Choppers
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 6, 2009, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

calicruiser wrote:
hey, scroll down to the 3rd pic on this link. this is what we use as adjusters on our hardtails.

josh
G&L Choppers

wow that's a super-clean set-up!

Also thanks for the info. I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that the chain and pressure of tightened axle actually holds the axle from going backwards.

thx.

I went ahead and ordered some of the lollypop style adjusters. will see how that works in this frame.
calicruiser

PostPosted: March 7, 2009, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

Emzdogz wrote:
calicruiser wrote:

josh
G&L Choppers

wow that's a super-clean set-up!

Also thanks for the info. I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that the chain and pressure of tightened axle actually holds the axle from going backwards.

thx.

I went ahead and ordered some of the lollypop style adjusters. will see how that works in this frame.

no problem man, glad you got it figured out. It's always hard to see things in your mind when someone else is typing and trying to explain it.
stoneam2006

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

had a question about the frame set up. do you cut the frame rails to allow them to slide over the axel plate or not...i am currently building a xs650 hardtail and i welded the frame rails to the outsife of the axel plates and the more places i look i have not seen one like that is there a reason why or does it really not matter but all on preferance
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: stock axle adjusters on hardtailed frame

here's how I guess I'm gonna do it:

Harley adjusters laying on the floor I can't use, as they wouldn't give enough range on adjustment. Wish I could have sourced some with longer threaded portion.

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1