650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Frame stretching reasons

Frame stretching reasons
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
nj1639

PostPosted: January 31, 2009, 8:11 am    Post subject: Frame stretching reasons

What's the point? Aesthetics? Comfort? Handling?
kenb

PostPosted: January 31, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame stretching reasons

nj1639 wrote:
What's the point? Aesthetics? Comfort? Handling?

If I end up stretching my project XS650, it'll be a moderate change (3-4") to make it a little easier for me to fit on the bike. I'm 6'4", and the stock position of the seat and footpegs makes riding the bike very uncomfortable for me.

I still haven't taken a saw blade to the frame yet though, because I still have to come up with a design that also satisfies the other two important criteria you mentioned, aesthetics and handling. Still working on those, and they are proving to be the difficult part of the equation. Smile

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
Pure-Pork

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame stretching reasons

I stretched mine 6" by adding the rear section of a V-twin frame, I'm 6'1" and 2 middle age fat people fat people fit better on it. The H-D replica frame and round swing arm set up allowed me to use harley hard bags also, but the harley frame was 1/2" narrower than the 650 frame near the rear of the frame.
nj1639

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame stretching reasons

So one aspect is to get yourself back from the tank to get a little leg room.
kenb

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame stretching reasons

nj1639 wrote:
So one aspect is to get yourself back from the tank to get a little leg room.

Yep, just being able to stretch back another 4" or so would make a world of difference, not just with regards to my position on the seat, but the proximity of the footpegs as well. I just feel all cramped and bent up like a pretzel when I'm riding it, and sometimes I also get to thinking that I might look a bit silly on there, sort of like one of those childrens pedalcars with a half dozen adult clowns crammed inside. Smile

Other than that though, I like the XS650 for all the same reasons as everyone else here, and this is what inspires me to look for a way to make one of them work for me too.

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1