650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > The Swap Meet > > A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways > > 2 Good rotors for points motor

2 Good rotors for points motor
    Forum Index -> A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways
YamahaRick

PostPosted: December 12, 2008, 1:35 pm    Post subject: 2 Good rotors for points motor

Ok, nobody wanted to swap a rotor so Now I have to buy one so I'm selling not one but 2 good rotors that fit a points type engine. One reads 6.5 and one reads 6.9 ohms. Pics will follow. I htought I would let someone on here have a crack before I mess with eGay. Easier for me and cheaper for you. make me a reasonable offer and I will get them in th mail ASAP. One or both. Doesn't matter to me. First one with a good for real offer and a paypal account gets them. Thanks! Rick
Oh and PM me OK I dont like my biz in the street. Thanks again.

[b]P.S. I will still swap for a cdi type rotor if there is anyone out there who will do it. Just PM me. Thanks!
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 12, 2008, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Good rotors for points motor

If I wanted a electronic rotor and had 2 older ones ""I"" would embed a small piece of rarearth magnet in the appropriate location and epoxy....being careful not to short the copper rings.....but then again that's me..........and I can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...."ie" XS650.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
YamahaRick

PostPosted: December 12, 2008, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Good rotors for points motor

Cool. Is there a write up on here about how to do that? Do you have detailed instructions on the process or maybe some pics? Thanks for the idea. That might be just what i need. Thanks.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 13, 2008, 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Good rotors for points motor

Not many write ups on the crazy stuff I come up with... Laughing ...

Handy to have an E rotor to measure from.......just drill a hole and embed the magnet......the copper plates are under the plastic out there so don't let the magnet touch both copper plates together or a copper plate to base.....the drill will bottom on the outer case....isolate the magnet cause that could short the rotor......just grind on the magnet till you are happy that it is a good fit and epoxy it in...maybe coat it for insulation...just a "very" small rare earth magnet sourse is enough....the original is actually quite weak.....can test with a spoon balanced on your finger....somewhat stronger than othe original shouldn't hurt....

Whenyou are done open the round cover on the case an 1/8 of an inch with a piece of stand off tube and longer screws....wind blowing through the stator and rotor will lower the rotor temp from 180-200 to 130 degrees for longer life.....mine has been in there 66K.....knock on wood..

the break off screws can be ground off the pickup coil and replaced with screws......then you can set the timing.....retarded a bit is the best ......at least for me.......

I could measure to where the hole goes if you don't have a E rotor......

THere is a magnet sourse on the internet if you can't get one or have one locally......I used .185 wide by .250 inch long rare earth magnet (cheap) but less than .185 wide if you could find them would be better....but you can grind them smaller......they are very strong magnets.....so just a little bit of magnet is all you need if you use the rare earth...

Not sure it matters but the magnet on my E rotor pulls on the south side of a compass needle...........red pointing away........

Spose you could use a strong rubber magnet......like use a used 22 shell case as the die and wack it with a hammer and dig it out....don't think the shorting would be a factor then........?? .....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
YamahaRick

PostPosted: December 20, 2008, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Good rotors for points motor

Thanks John for thye great tutorial. I'm a little wary tho of losing my good point rotor shouldI mess it up(high probability!). I'm gonna keep plugging tho and if I cant get no satisfaction by New Ywars I'm gonna give your fix a try. How did you come up with that anyway? I would never have even considered that. Thats a solid 10 on the ingenuity meter!
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 20, 2008, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Good rotors for points motor

I can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear........xs650 is a good example of the latter I'm afraid.....wish you could ride this one I've got now.........guess I sound like a broken record but with the compression down just a half a hair it slides now......clattering a vibes gone.......slick.......

xsjoh
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: December 22, 2009, 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Good rotors for points motor

xsjohn wrote:
Not many write ups on the crazy stuff I come up with... Laughing ...

Handy to have an E rotor to measure from.......just drill a hole and embed the magnet......the copper plates are under the plastic out there so don't let the magnet touch both copper plates together or a copper plate to base.....the drill will bottom on the outer case....isolate the magnet cause that could short the rotor......just grind on the magnet till you are happy that it is a good fit and epoxy it in...maybe coat it for insulation...just a "very" small rare earth magnet sourse is enough....the original is actually quite weak.....can test with a spoon balanced on your finger....somewhat stronger than othe original shouldn't hurt....

Whenyou are done open the round cover on the case an 1/8 of an inch with a piece of stand off tube and longer screws....wind blowing through the stator and rotor will lower the rotor temp from 180-200 to 130 degrees for longer life.....mine has been in there 66K.....knock on wood..

the break off screws can be ground off the pickup coil and replaced with screws......then you can set the timing.....retarded a bit is the best ......at least for me.......

I could measure to where the hole goes if you don't have a E rotor......

THere is a magnet sourse on the internet if you can't get one or have one locally......I used .185 wide by .250 inch long rare earth magnet (cheap) but less than .185 wide if you could find them would be better....but you can grind them smaller......they are very strong magnets.....so just a little bit of magnet is all you need if you use the rare earth...

Not sure it matters but the magnet on my E rotor pulls on the south side of a compass needle...........red pointing away........

Spose you could use a strong rubber magnet......like use a used 22 shell case as the die and wack it with a hammer and dig it out....don't think the shorting would be a factor then........?? .....

xsjohn

You knocked it the face of the rotor out with a punch ? I am thinking I will do that and solve my stupid rotor not charging problems. You have a pic of what it looks like under that ?

Cool.
Srinath.

Forum Index -> A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1