650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Started Cafe'ing my '73

Started Cafe'ing my '73
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 10:47 am    Post subject: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Still a work in progress...but it is starting to take shape.

From this:

To this...thus far...

Still to come...new seat, taillight, turnsigs, and some other misc items...
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Nice looking bike you're starting with. Wish my cafe project looked that clean to begin with.

Have you made a decision on the seat yet?

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I think I am going to go the route that TeeCat went...and get the seat MikesXS sells. I am thinking I will go with a vintage "STOP" taillight and license plate mount for now too. Something like this:

Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

According to the description at MikesXS, his cafe seat will fit only the '74-79 standards. Not saying you can't make it fit your '73, but I'd be prepared to have to make some mods to it.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Off to a good start. BTW how tall are you? Im 6'3 and still learning to find the most comfortable position. I imagined rearsets on my bike and that position felt too akward. Going from an R1 to the 650 was really a world apart. Ironically the R1 was really comfortable for me!
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Cooltouch wrote:
According to the description at MikesXS, his cafe seat will fit only the '74-79 standards. Not saying you can't make it fit your '73, but I'd be prepared to have to make some mods to it.

Best,

ichael

Here is a write up about installing it on a 73:
TeeCat's Seat Install
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

hal0tw0 wrote:
Off to a good start. BTW how tall are you? Im 6'3 and still learning to find the most comfortable position. I imagined rearsets on my bike and that position felt too akward. Going from an R1 to the 650 was really a world apart. Ironically the R1 was really comfortable for me!

I am 5'10". Eventually I might work on some rearsets, but for now the stock position seems fine. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet though
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Me is liking this! Smile

You can fit that cafe seat to your bike without too much worry... focus on the rear hinge.

TC
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

It isn't quite as nice as your bike TeeCat, but I am having fun with it so far! I'll be ordering a seat like yours as soon as I get the bike running good. Hope that comes sooner than later!!
krunk

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

It's amazing how a handlebar swap can change the look and style of a bike so dramatically.

Does that taillight mount up to the factory holes on the original fender?
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

The ebay add I found it on says you can order with out any mounting holes drilled...and can drill your own.
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

But my bike wasn't quite this clean when I got it. Smile Still lots to do.

I do like your clubman bars!

I had to enlarge and clean up the holes in my fender, and made a plate to mount to the fender, then mounted the light to that. There's a post on here about it somewhere... *thinks*

TC
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

The cafe'ing continues! I ordered rebuild kits for my carbs last week, and tore them down again this weekend...and cleaned every nook and cranny possible on them. Installed a new float valve and needle, and adjusted the floats also....as well as installed the other various new components that came with the kits. The bike fired right up afterwards and purred like a kitten! I took it for a short ride, and was grinning ear to ear when I got back. I've got new throttle lines and a clutch line to install next. I did figure out that my tank leaks and will try and repair that for time being...but I won an auction on eBay for a 750 tank that will eventually go on also.

I am also looking hard at getting this tailpiece to run with the new tank

It is starting to take shape! I've been talking with a buddy about making me some custom rear set brackets on his CNC also. Once we get them done, I will probably have him cut accouple extra sets out so others with the older TX bike can also run some nice looking rearsets...as I have yet to find some for this bike.
NateDogg

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Nice score on the tank, those seats always struck me as too big, just my opinion though...here's a shot of my cafe when I had a 750 tank and and a ducati SS knockoff seat

dotheton.com/index.php...1039;image

NateDogg

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Here's another one and a shot of that bike stock when I got it

dotheton.com/index.php...1037;image

dotheton.com/index.php...1035;image

MN_TX650

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I kinda like the looks of the bigger tailpiece, but we'll see. Can't wait to get them in hand and mocked up on the bike!! Put some sealer on my 650 tank last night so I can hopefully ride the bike in the mean time.
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Looks great man, nice progress.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I ended up ordering that tail piece from CafeRace, Inc. Originally planned on Mikes seat, but I think the fiberglass one will look killer with the 750 tank setup.

That is a smaller tail piece, but I wanted the bigger one to allow me to incorporate the taillight and license plate into it
miller0613

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

are you gonna get rid of the stock seat if so send me a pm I am very iterested
TeeCat

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

You're making progress! Sounds like the carbs appreciated that rebuild! Good to see that you're moving ahead!

TC
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

miller0613 wrote:
are you gonna get rid of the stock seat if so send me a pm I am very iterested

I may, but probably not for a little bit.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

TeeCat wrote:
You're making progress! Sounds like the carbs appreciated that rebuild! Good to see that you're moving ahead!

TC

Yes, they did appreciate it! Glad to hear you got yours figured out also. I am keeping an eye on what springs that one guy ended up using, and may try some on mine. Seems to bobble a little bit off idle. But, I am happy that I can atleast ride it around now while I wait on the tank and fender
NateDogg

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I had the same issue with my advance unit.....every ride last season was a test ride. Once I got to the point of sitting there with a bag of different rated springs I said screw it and bought the boyer ignition. I haven't touched it since and it really brought the bike to life, put it on the cafe bike too
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Nate, tried to look at your links but need a password......

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6