650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central

mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: January 25, 2008, 9:56 pm    Post subject: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central

ok, so i want a set of 36mm mikuni round slides. im ready to order them and sporting for less has a set for 330. thats got the manifolds, filters, and pre-jetted (which i am sure i will have to adjust once i get them on the bike)

www.sportingforless.co...ml?cPath=1

and 650central has them for (call for price) and its got to be over 400

does anyone have any advice or experience from either company on these carbs?

my bike does not have stock pipes. so i wont be able to just bolt these on and go.
grizld1

PostPosted: January 26, 2008, 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central

Be aware that Mikuni sends out carbs with generic jetting. Jets and components for specific applications must be bought and installed by the vendor or the buyer. Except for a very few units sent out so that there's somebody to say "But mine were good!" when buyers post complaints, SFL leaves the generic Q2 needle jets and 6DP1 needles in the carbs to save money. The Q2 is entirely too fat--P5 or P6 is needed, and that's what you'll get from 650 Central. The 6DP1 is always left in by SFL. It can be used, but the 6F9, which you'll get from 650 Central, gives much better performance. Michael Morse is one of the sharpest tuners out there, and he'll baseline the carbs to your environment and setup and work with you personally on fine tuning if you need help. Still sound expensive?

I don't know what engine mods you've made besides the exhaust, but Michael will probably recommend the VM34. A lot of racers win with those on 750's. The VM36 is a very usable carb on a stock engine when properly tuned, but it has no advantages at all over the VM34 on a stocker and the 34 is the choice of quite a few competition riders and builders who aren't scrimping.

Last edited by grizld1 on January 26, 2008, 10:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
tracker79

PostPosted: January 26, 2008, 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central

Spend the extra money and go with the 650 central carbs, if you have a problem you'll be talking to someone who knows these bikes and Michael will go out of his way to make everything right. I made the SFL mistake, and you won't get any tech help from these people.
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: January 26, 2008, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650cen

As I understand, it isn't just the jetting that you get from 650central, the manifolds and cables are superior quality also. All in all, it seems the carbs are significantly less expensive for what you get from 650central. I'd buy my carbs from 650central and I know how to jet carbs. Because I've spent the time getting jetting right on several old machines over the years I realize just how frustrating and time consuming it can be. Get a good start and buy your carbs from Michael.

Tom Graham
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: January 26, 2008, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central

i do not have any engine mods for the engine i plan to put in my bike.

so it seems that i should buy my carbs from 650central. in my past experiences with michael morse he really goes above and beyond to educate me on the products i have bought from him. so it would make sense that he would sell a set of carbs set up right.

thanks!

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central

DIdnt you just answer your own question??????????
knightrider

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650cen

I purchased my 34s from sporting for less I believe its been 3years now.
They were almost perfect, minus alittle adjusting on idle and mixture but I assume you would need to do that regardless of whom or where you purchase your carbs.

So the answer to your question is my purchase from sporting for less was not an issue nor the carbs themselves.Still performin well and a major improvement over the stock CVs.
Cool
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 21, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650cen

Ive bought 3 sets from SFL over the years & I had to re-jet all of them but that only cost me about £20 -£30. Well worth it considering they cost HALF what youd have to pay for a set over here, last check from Allens R&D UK was £350 ! Shocked
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 21, 2009, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central

Hey Biff, I would suggest to get the carb's from Central. As griz stated, they are pretty much set up right out of the box. You are right also, he is a whiz at these old monstrocity's. He is a little more, but the agravation factor sway's me in his direction. And here I've read alot of not so good thing's about SFL.
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides buy from sporting for less or 650central

i got the carbs about a year ago. i havent even put them on the bike yet, got wrapped up in a kitchen renovation that has lasted a lot longer than the 2 month deadline i had!

i did get the carbs from 650central. i have no doubt that i did the right thing.

all i have left to get my hardtail up and going is powdercoat and electrical.

ive decided to build a powdercoating oven to do my frame. i am currently working on collecting all the parts for the project. it should prove to be very cost effective. then i just have to put the bike together and ride the damn thing!

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1