650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Harley style and aftermarket front suspensions

Harley style and aftermarket front suspensions
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
Wulf

PostPosted: March 13, 2005, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Harley style and aftermarket front suspensions

Harley as well as most of the aftermarket front end manufacturers use 1" shafts for the neck bolt on the tripple trees. Yamaha and most metrics use 7/8" (22mm) shafts and bearings. If you want to use a HD type front end, get one where you can take the entire neck bolt out of the tree, better yet if it has a set screw. Take the bolt to a machine shop and have them turn the shaft where it will go through the bearings down to 7/8" and then rethread the end. You may need to use 2 lock bolts at the top to account for the slightly longer neck bolt. Finally coat the threads with medium locktight and fill the setscrew hole with locktight before inserting the setscrew. As you tighten the set screw, it will force the locktight into the threads of the neckbolt completely. Do NOT use the high strength locktight as it may require heat if you need to disassemble the front end down the road and chrome finishes don't take too well to that kind of heating. Ride safe.
Wulf

Jack

PostPosted: March 15, 2005, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley style and aftermarket front suspensions

Wolf............The adjustable 39mm forks might be an option on the XS with those great looking billet custom trees but one would need to check if the lenghts are equal to the XS ,along with brakes and wheel hubs........Jack
Wulf

PostPosted: March 16, 2005, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley style and aftermarket front suspensions

This was more in reference to using an extended front end. I posted this as a result of a conversation with a buddy of mine who is building a vw trike and was asking about the long springer he had on it. I asked what would it take to mount one to my 650. Thanks for the info though. Ride safe.
Wulf

blackwidow

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Harley style and aftermarket front suspensions

I know it's an old topic but does anyone know if you could run a stock xs650 front wheel?? What size is the xs650 wheel shaft?

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley style and aftermarket front suspensions

Wolf if you want to put a springer on your 650, get the tapered roller kit, use the races that go in the 650 frame. The 1inch harley bearing will fit right into the races. You may have to thin the upper lock nut on the stem so the top tree of the springer will bolt down right.
blackwidow to use the 650 wheel you will need to get bearing to fit the wheel that have a 3/4 inch inside diameter to fit the springer axle or get new side plates for the springer made that use a 17 mm axle. The 650 is a 17mm axle. from what I hear making the new plates is easier.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Harley style and aftermarket front suspensions

xsleo wrote:
Wolf if you want to put a springer on your 650, get the tapered roller kit, use the races that go in the 650 frame. The 1inch harley bearing will fit right into the races. You may have to thin the upper lock nut on the stem so the top tree of the springer will bolt down right.
blackwidow to use the 650 wheel you will need to get bearing to fit the wheel that have a 3/4 inch inside diameter to fit the springer axle or get new side plates for the springer made that use a 17 mm axle. The 650 is a 17mm axle. from what I hear making the new plates is easier.
that makes alot of sense

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1