650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know

Would you use an Auction Feature on this wensite if it was as good as EBay?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 68 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 76

gggGary

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

My take is just use the forums; buy - sell parts, buy - sell bikes. set up posting rules. ie price, description, pictures, shipping. I am collecting 650's right now with the aim of at least 2 riders 1 stock 1 custom cafe flat trackerish. I also like to get bikes out of barns and the back of garages and get em back on the road. I generally do this a few times a year and sell them. can't say it pays well but I like to do it and as my wife sez keeps me out of the bars. XS650 and custom parts services for them only. But that should be pretty self regulating who else will be looking here?
mdrathank

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I'm for it. Sounds like a great way to get hard to find parts.
rhilker

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Yeah, you definately don't want to go full blown ebay on this, not here. You may consider setting up a sister site as an XS650 auction, invite all the suppliers. Registered suppliers would have an advertising slot in the forum, for a fee.

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Almost sounds like a good idea. The auction thing is a little bit of a turn off. Wouldn't it be easier to just have a flat price selling feature, with, say a 2% fee? I hate auctions, personally, and have never bid on one. I refuse to use FeeGay, and only buy stuff from Craigslist. Not being snarky here, just offering up an opinion. We all pretty much know what the parts for these are worth. If one of us builds a custom, we know what we have to have to sell it, and price it accordingly. Maybe I am off base? Some people like auctions? Whatever happens, it will be interesting! Kyle

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I agree with Kyle on that point. The only time I buy from ebay is when I can "buy it now." I don't have time to wait 8 days for the auction to end.

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

The problem with an auction on a forum like this one is you bid against your internet buddies.

TG
Snap

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Wicked idea there mate , go hard.
What a good place to buy / sell XS parts , absolutely brilliant.

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Ok, I'll toss in my 2 cents.

I agree that an auction feature might create a bidding war of forum user vs. forum user vs. random Joe from the 'net. Ebay and it's sellers are out to make money, not further the cause of vintage motorcycle enthusiasts.

I also think that once word got out, those seeking to make profit instead of help the community will begin to dominate the auction service.

Here's an option: What if only Full Members of the Forums could use the service? That way, those without the required posts in the forums wouldn't be using the service. This might separate the scavengers from the enthusiasts. If you see an increase in crap posts in the forums, then you know the scavengers are trying to circumvent the system.

I think the Auction Feature is an interesting idea, and I personally might use it, but the ultimate question is this: Would the Auction Feature be able to do anything we can't already do through basic forum posting?

I'm sure many of us have Paypal accounts so we can work out person-to-person sales. And there's always money orders.

Now I know I haven't been a very active poster in the two years I've been a member, but I do browse quite a bit. I think this site has a great vibe. I think the Auction Feature is worth discussing, but perhaps we should tread carefully.
Photo Gallery
TwistedLeather

PostPosted: July 1, 2009, 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

If I may interject my .02 here. I'm a member on several different forums like this for other activities and I've seen work well set up with a Want to Buy, For sale/Trade, and Ebay links sections of the forum. This way, people that want to get rid of stuff can list it in for sale/trade or they can look in the want to buy section to see if anyone needs their stuff, and the ebay links sections alert other enthusiasts of hard to find or inexpensive parts we all are on the lookout for....Hope something happens with this soon.

Butch.

xjwmx

PostPosted: July 1, 2009, 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

One practical problem I see is ebay would afford more exposure, therefore it would benefit the seller to have the item on ebay instead. But, as a programmer and a programmer teacher, knowing that you're a programmer, I say go for it. The only way to learn is to do.
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I get on another website for cars and they have a classifieds section.. one is to sell cars then another for car parts and another for other items. I really like how that one is because you talk with the owner work out a price and you sell or you buy. On there the only difference between this website is people are on it way more and get to know each other then you know who you can trust. I like it better than ebay but it's a car parts place I'd like to buy and sell some bike parts but people don't get on here enough or want to part with there money or parts.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2