650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Gears...+...

Gears...+...
    Forum Index -> Drive
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 2, 2007, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Gears...+...

Took a little 100 mile cruse today on the express. Kept her to 65 and thought to my self lets see what 90 percent of the rest of the world is doing on these old XS’s. Dropped her into fourth gear and all hell broke loose. Vibes and true ugliness and was I glad I could lift her one more time out of that and tool on....18-29.....

RELIEVE SHIFT SHAFT FOR CHAIN CLEARANCE

John Underwood (XSJOHN)

should check these parts .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.93 KB
 Viewed:  249 Time(s)

should check these parts .jpg

shift shaft 18 tooth sprocket.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.64 KB
 Viewed:  217 Time(s)

shift shaft 18 tooth sprocket.jpg

Last edited by xsjohn on April 28, 2008, 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

What kind of mileage are you getting with the sprocket combo you are using? I don't know if I could go that low as I weigh over 200lbs, and there is not an abundace of power in these things. I am putting on the 18 tooth front sprocket, and we shall see what that does for me.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

When I got this bike 10 years ago it got 60 to the gallon but it was so lean that the pipes were blue. ..Epa really hosed the 80's... Raised the main needles .040 and geared it 18/30 and rode it that way until two years ago when I went to 18/29. .Now I run a 137.5 MJ with the needles raised .030 and ukses a larger pilot jet.. Mileage running a half a tad rich is 54 now. .. My friends 77 (my old bike) was just geared 18/30 and he weighs 220. .. Said he could never go back since we ride to the mountains a bunch....He said it was a totaly different bike...These things rev pretty good but they don't seem to like sustained high revs. .. My 4th is what 5th used to be. .. Can always shift down and the lower gears become more useful....At least to me.... Some like it low others like it high...Thats the beauty of these things....After getting used to it this way it doesn't seem high any more especially on the express......If the bike is right you should be able to get away with 18/30 if you like to run along on the express.....Any lower than that it is not a good highway bike...Mikesxs has them.....Drops them about 500 rpm....

John Underwood

Last edited by xsjohn on September 13, 2007, 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

I figured that the blue pipes were from running rich? I still haven't figured my carbs out yet. If it was a Holley DBL pumper, I could fix it in a heart beat. This is my first venture in trying to tune a motorcycle. I have owned a bunch of them, but they have been fuel injected, so no tuning. Still only getting about 32 MPG with my 36mm Mikunis.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

32 how could it run....what do the plugs look like.... Gosh mine are a tad dark at 55......Maybe some one put a huge mj in it. ... Air filters.?...Kept the stock air boxes and built my own element that doesn't restrict...Usually only one size up on the later models and maybe no change on the older one..don't know much about the older ones accept that my 77 was a pain....Points and inconsistant carbs.....Didn't mess with it much since I had the 80 too....Always thought the 77 needed the viton tipped float needles....Never tried it....Blue pipes are lean.....

John
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

I've got the stock jetting/airboxes, mikesXS airfilters, and 17/31 gearing on my 74TX cruises 65mph/105kph@3800rpm 70mph/113kph@4000rpm light brown on the plugs and plenty of throttle left 4th makes a nice passing gear, I don't like getting to close behind someone before I pull out to pass, learned a lesson a long time ago when a four foot section of 2x4 about four foot long at a 45 degree angle magically appeared on the highway in front of me as a car passed over it, was able to turn and cross it square but had to stop and clean shorts
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

Wow...Yesterday in broad daylight 4 deer appeared out of nowhere and it seemed like they were all over me..... Didn't hit one....Borrowed time.....My buddy hit a coconut on Datona when we were jumping the dunes....Sand burn is pretty uguly too....

John
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

Check this out on Mikesxs.......

24 Tooth 5th. Pinion Gear. Replaces 23T 5th. pinion gear (Oem Ref.
#341-17151-04)
Gear fits to stock location and makes fifth gear taller (higher top speed in
fifth but less torque and less vibration) but ratios in lower gears remains the
same so that acceleration & torque in lower 4 gears remains the same. Cases must
be split to install. This is a "Race" part and carries no warranty other than
for defects in materials.

Fits: XS650's 1978 - 1984 Only! Note: Yamaha changed the shape of transmission
gear teeth from 78 on and this is indicated by lines cut into the crest of each tooth.

John

5th gear.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.15 KB
 Viewed:  6513 Time(s)

5th gear.jpg

Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

Be alright if you can still get em. Just makes cruising a little easier on the bike and the rider.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

That would be an awesome addition for daily Driver XS. I would ALMOST take my motor apart just to install the gear. Changing the final drive ratio always makes taking off in 1st a bummer.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

Quote "Fits: XS650's 1978 - 1984 Only! Note: Yamaha changed the shape of transmission
gear teeth from 78 on and this is indicated by lines cut into the crest of each tooth"

yeah the 78 and later guys always suck up all the good parts, mama yama always did like them best jayel 74 TX650

xsjohn

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

Wonder for the pre 78's the whole tranny from a later model would fit......
Still can't see how this is done with just one gear........How would it mesh to the other........

John
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

with you there john, more teeth = larger diameter, mating gear has to be smaller to maintain center to center distance on the shafts
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 22, 2007, 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

With just one extra tooth the teeth would just have to be a bit closer......can't think of another explanation..... ......in that case would it still rotate at the same speed if the circumference was the same in my pea brain....?????....... I had to go to 18/29 to please my liking... on the express.......this gear would only be 1 in 24 or so increase if for some reason it worked......not much......If it really worked I could go back to 18/30 which I really liked except for 5th gear.....Wouldn’t want the thing locking up a 65...Only weigh 138 and the bike performed perfectly for me with 18/30 except for the extra revs on the highway that beats my brain…..…..Friend just bought a new goldwing…2900 at 70 in 5th…..The lucky stiff…..

John
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: July 22, 2007, 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gears...+...

John and jayel, the late trannies will indeed fit the early cases; you just can't mix-'n'-match spline patterns. Some D's got the early pattern, some got the new stuff, and in that crossover year you can't assume anything. Supposedly the change began after 447-721262, but assembly practices during transitions were pretty erratic, so if you open one up with a later VIN and find the old stuff in it, don't blame me! I have a D engine on the bench right now with VIN 447-701136, and the gears are late pattern, with deep lines cut in the middle of the teeth. By the E-models everything was getting the new pattern, which is probably why Mike's specified that year, to save guys from going to the work of a split job just to find an incompatible tranny in there.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1