650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > DAYTIME LED'S (STOP) and 8-1 COMPRESSION

DAYTIME LED'S (STOP) and 8-1 COMPRESSION
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Engine
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 1, 2007, 8:25 am    Post subject: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP) and 8-1 COMPRESSION

For 10 years I have always adjusted my cam chain when the bike was hot. Not for any good reasons accept that the bike was hot when I thought about it or I just like to burn my fingers.

This spring when it was about 55 degrees I adjusted the chain when the engine had just been started and was cold. …Set it for a decent boggle… Thought to myself this is such a better way….That was a month ago… Yesterday when it was 88 degrees and the engine was hot I heard some strange noises…. Dang another stinking bearing going out I thought….

Come to find out the cam chain was bone tight when I checked it hot…. No boggle at all…None… The engine must swell just a bit when it gets hot causing the chain to tighten I guess…. Can’t think of any other way the chain could get tighter unless something strange is happening….Loosened it a bit and the noise was gone….Great…

I will enjoy burning my fingers from now on when adjusting my cam chain knowing all the fun that thing can cause………"Just when you think you are beginning to outsmart these things".....

John Underwood

Last edited by xsjohn on April 6, 2009, 9:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Photo Gallery
rwreed

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain--"Burnt Fingers"--

John,
How are you burning your fingers? I remove the cap while it is cold. Warm the bike up and, make my adjustment and put the cold cap back on. I mean there is no oil leaking out of there when the cap is off.

Slim

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain--"Burnt Fingers"--

Not really burning my fingers....Just being a bit dramatic I guess....Cold cap but would still have some hot things to mess with.....
John Underwood
Photo Gallery
rwreed

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain--"Burnt Fingers"--

True! Not much room in there and I do usually bump something hot.

Slim

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 26, 2007, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Dang" It's Hot Here.....

Old dead post...........
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Already had the 1157 type led's that worked pretty good at night but couldn't be seen in the daytime........found that the white led driving lights sold at Advance for 20 bucks (for the pair) fit right in on top and below of the regular leds and give out a bit of an orange tint which makes them seen.....hooked them to the stop circuit.....blasts out good now and no draw..........

For you guys with the round tail lights.......there is some truck 4" round led's that would do the trick........get the ones with a bunch of Led's in them.......have seen some with more than 20 but they cost a bit more......and clear too for behind the behind the red stock tailight lens.....and the ones with the fisheye on them might give a better angle also...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

John, they look real good!
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Hey I would like to talk more about lights.........cheap mods that might save our lives..........cell phone Sally may just run slap ass over us..... the more she sees maybe the better off we are......................

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

xsjohn,

Well, I had Cell phone Sally run over me, in an SUV, no less, but that was because she stoped right in front of me doing a left hand turn and left me about two cars lengths to figure out what to do.....the end result was I got a lot of new parts for the bike and met some really nice, but incompetent people dressed in dirty scrubs at the local meat market called "Hospital".
None of them can sew worth a damn and they are embarrased to examine your swollen butt, especially the pretty nurses...with the filthy scrubs, talking on their cell phones.....

The point being, bad thing happen in front of you more so than behind you, and the remedies for increased visibility in the front are not as varied.

I bought a white helmet, or, rather, Cell phone Sally bought me a nice new white helmet. I changed my brake pads to EBC and I wired the front turn signals for dual filiment 1157's, but I still feel naked out there, so I'm considering installing a headlight with a built in strobe and maybe having someone run in front waving a flag. Hell, maybe I'll run in front waving a flag and just leave the bike at home...that would be a white flag....I give up.

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Running the front light on High Beam so it shines in their faces does help...Since I started that a couple of years ago I have noticed they see me better......would hope so anyway........

Sorry about your butt.....Glad I couldn't help though........ Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Pete, haven't done it on my XS yet but installed a car horn on my little Ninja that gets their attention much better. It was easy and cheap. I too bought a white helmet and with a head like mine you'd think they couldn't miss me!Just some ideas here.

faq.ninja250.org/wiki/...ouder_horn

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Car drivers are used to looking for things that are wide and horizontal like cars.....not things that are narrow and verticle like motorcycles.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

if every motorcyclist was required to carry a least a .357 with authority to shoot holes in their radiator for any driving infraction, they would sure as hell see you, personally I would like to have rocket launchers like on the 007 bike or a couple of frame mounted electricial operated semi-auto 12 gauges
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

When I become President (I don't have blue eyes) then you will be my Attorney General...........for sure.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

This is a long story, so go and take a break now and come back......

The AMA did an experiment in which they brought a bunch of college students in to observe a basketball game. They were each given a clip board with a form on it and were told to record the jersey number of the players that made a basket and to also record the time of the score.

During the game, a man in a gorrila suit ran across the floor from one end to the other. Then another person in a Ronald McDonalds suit did the same thing.

The students were asked after the game what time the gorrila and Ronald McDonald ran across the floor. Only 4 of the 20 students even noticed either intruder.

The conclusion was that people, including you and me, only see things that they expect to see, especially if they are under stress. So, there really aren't that many motorcycles out there...people, therefore, do not expect to see one, and they will honestly tell the policeman that they never saw you, as you are being scrapped off of the pavement...That's exactly what happened to me in an earlier similar incident...the kid driving his aunts four door Honda said he never saw me, even though I saw the whites of his eyes before crossing his path...

The only thing I learned from that incident is that if your are going to hit a four door car, aim for the rear door because it doesn't have the Ralph Nader I-Beam in it and you can crush the rear door to absorb some of the energy. Release the brakes just before impact and raise the front wheel so you don't tunnel under the car or hit the frame.

Ok...time for another break.... Cool

Last edited by pamcopete on March 28, 2009, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

The best visability award goes to jayel, for his bright yellow paint job Smile If a driver stood before a judge and said he didn't see the yellow motorcycle, the judge would charge him with perjury!

Last year I stopped, with my bike, at a popular motorcycle hang out. There was a Harley already stopped, and you couldn't miss it because it was about the same colour of yellow as jayel's. We got to talking, and I told him how refreshing it was to see a yellow Harley, since about 90% are black. He said he just wanted to be different!
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

RG,

Well, every thing helps, I supose, but if the results of the basketball game are to be believed, then there is nothing you can do, except drive a car or truck, because that is what people expect to see.

Wearing a white helmet fits this pattern because people associate it with the police, and they do expect to see the police on a motorcycle, so they include a white helmet in their list of expectations. It's not that the white helmet is more visible...it's just because it's in their list of expectations.

Remember the lesson of the basketball game.....Ronald McDonald is pretty colorful, and highly visible, but they didn't see him because they didn't expect to see him, so painting your bike yellow won't help because people do not expect to see a yellow motorcycle. In fact, it could be that you are better off with a black motorcycle because if some people expect to see a motorcycle, they expect it to be black.

It's in the mind...not the eye....

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

I think it's because 99% of people driving don't G A S. And the majority drive around inTEXTicated. It doesn't matter what you're driving.

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

weekendrider wrote:
I think it's because 99% of people driving don't G A S. And the majority drive around inTEXTicated. It doesn't matter what you're driving.
"I think it's because 99% of people driving don't G A S"

What is G A S ?

Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Joseph,
Give A Sh_t

John I used a "Grote" light because I could get a stepped out flange for it instead of the flush mount. A little more time and a few more pennies because I built a backing plate the incorporated the orginal rubber mounted bolts and rubber spacer. Will see what it is like in the rain with road grime on it later.

Last edited by weekendrider on March 28, 2009, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
penn71911

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

G A S = Give A S#!t

aybe mounting one of those big yellow strobe lights on a pole off the rear fender...

I'm not sure we can make the lights bright enough to catch the attention of the cell phone talker/texter... just duck/dodge/swerve...

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
Awalker1999

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Joseph wrote:
weekendrider wrote:
"I think it's because 99% of people driving don't G A S"

What is G A S ?

Give A Sh..
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Dang weekendrider.....that bitch will blind them at night.......hopefully a later developement of their eyesight or lack of after witnessing that.......like welding.......wake up screaming.......

That gives me all sorts of ideas on how to limit the number of cagers............may get arrested by the NTSB when cresting a hill and blinding a pilot....... Laughing

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on March 28, 2009, 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DAYTIME LED'S (STOP)

Well John the latest I read on red light cameras say the rate of tailend crashes is increasing. I hope they see it, I don't want to be a bloody spot between an Escalade and a Yukon.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4