650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > Pedal style kick start

Pedal style kick start
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
BlueCafe

PostPosted: April 16, 2007, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Pedal style kick start

My 78 xs400 2e is slowly turning into a cafe bike. I a big fan of that vintage look, and I'm sick of my calf getting cut up when my foot slips off the kick. (the 2e doesn't have an electric start.) Any one have one or know who makes one or tried to make one? I'm thinking the smaller clipless bicycle pedals make be a good size where I can thread the old kick pedal.

I already looked at adapting a harely pedal. It won't work with out alot of welding that probably won't hold up to the kicking.

PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

There is a guy on Ebay selling them. You have to send him your kicker arm for him to weld for something like 70 bucks.....but....

I did a Harley popsickle kicker pedal conversion on my XS and it works GREAT!

NO WELDING!

It requires only the kicker pedal (about 15 bucks brand new) a drill, a hacksaw, a vice, a dremmel (could do without possibly), an believe it or not a pop rivet gun.

It looks and functions perfectly.

I was thinking to sell plans etc....but it is stupid easy. I'll post pics in a few days (I am away from home), and a description of how to do it.

It isn't the bicycle pedal...but honestly, I like popsickle pedals better...I put them on all my bikes for practical reasons.

About six years ago I blew out both my knees kicking my Triumph chopper with the old round kicker on it. First off I will NEVER kick a bike again without heeled boots on. Second, I convert all my bikes to popsicle kickers so there is zero possibility that a worn out rubber will roll under my foot.

It is easy, and I think people will dig it.

Kick start bikes are like a religion to me, so a proper kicker is only right.
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Remove your passenger pegs yet? Cut my calf up real bad once, and they were gone then.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

I think I am beginning to see why I like the little black button so much.......

john
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Still have my little black button, but don't use it. As bad as these old starters sound, I would like to save mine for an emergency, like a broken right leg. And yet another question about a non 650 bike. Hummmm, not everyone here only rides a 650? Gotta have a backup bike for when the 650 breaks ya know.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Bicycle backup......Plus all that extra advance and incorrect low speed and or pilot jets or low speed mixture settings are in combination causing the black button to be less fun than the kick starter.........

Some electric starter motors need to be dismantled and lubed and cleaned......Before they work right.....

John
Photo Gallery
XwalkerX

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Chopdoc wrote:
There is a guy on Ebay selling them. You have to send him your kicker arm for him to weld for something like 70 bucks.....but....

I did a Harley popsickle kicker pedal conversion on my XS and it works GREAT!

NO WELDING!

It requires only the kicker pedal (about 15 bucks brand new) a drill, a hacksaw, a vice, a dremmel (could do without possibly), an believe it or not a pop rivet gun.

It looks and functions perfectly.

I was thinking to sell plans etc....but it is stupid easy. I'll post pics in a few days (I am away from home), and a description of how to do it.

It isn't the bicycle pedal...but honestly, I like popsickle pedals better...I put them on all my bikes for practical reasons.

About six years ago I blew out both my knees kicking my Triumph chopper with the old round kicker on it. First off I will NEVER kick a bike again without heeled boots on. Second, I convert all my bikes to popsicle kickers so there is zero possibility that a worn out rubber will roll under my foot.

It is easy, and I think people will dig it.

Kick start bikes are like a religion to me, so a proper kicker is only right.

please post some pics of this...
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE POST AS WELL. MY DREMEL IS WARMED UP AND READY TO ROCK
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

What is a popsicle peddle?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

a flat (like a bicycle) or wedge shaped pedal, more surface for your foot
Chopdoc

PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Joseph wrote:
What is a popsicle peddle?

This is a popsickle kicker:

www.raskcycle.com/cgi-...ker+Pedals (bottom of the page)

Little black button? Shocked

Oh c'mon guys.......ya know....sometimes that little black button does not work.....so even then...a decent kicker is nice.....

But honestly, who can argue with the cool factor of a popsickle kicker?

Pics tomorrow. I'll give the stupid easy directions now.

1) Buy a popsickle pedal.

2) Pull off the rubber from the new pedal, it comes right off.

3) Put the resulting bare metal stampings in a vice (with the kicker pedal spindle captured between them) and drill out the spot welds with a 3/16 bit.

4) You now have liberated the two stampings that form the core of the pedal, and relesed the spindle that can be placed in the "yet to be fabiricated" parts bin. (I will fit Harleys and classic Triumph Twins of course) You have also drilled your rivet holes for good measure. Cool

5) Use a hacksaw to cut two lines in each stamping in order to clear the bulge at the end of your kicker. (I'll give some measurements for these cuts tomorrow.....but you can easily eyeball it.)

6) Use a 3/16 drill bit to "cut" off the end of the area you have cut with the hacksaw. Just drill into each end of the parallel lines you made to release the section you need out.

7) Use the dremmel to clean up your cutting and drilling....and test fit the new pedal by clamping the two stampings together with vice grips....then clean up as needed so it spins easy.

Cool Pop rivet the stampings on your XS kicker arm. Use an alternating pattern so that rivets sick out on both sides to aid in holding the rubber firmly on.

9) Put the rubber on.

10) Kick start your bike....forget the little black button.....real men kick....and some very robust women too...... Cool

Oh....and step one shopuld have been getting that original rubber off the kicker arm....whaich may actually be the most difficult part of this mod unless you decide to cut it off.....

Oh, and before you see the pics....I apologize for the state of my XS....it sat outside for 3 years and is slowly getting refurbished......runs great though, fisrt things first.......I ride it every day....
Chopdoc

PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

INXS650 wrote:
Remove your passenger pegs yet? Cut my calf up real bad once, and they were gone then.

Well.....my wife and my daughter both occasionally decorate the back of my bikes....so that isn't an option.....

I guess I could tell them to just hold on for dear life but I reall like my daughter and my wife does all the laundry and stuff......... Laughing

I have a rule now.....I don't kick without checking that peg, even when I am by myself. I tried relying on them but FORGET THAT! That's like expecting people in cars are going to see a motorcycle in an intersection.....pipe dream.......

But going back to my earlier rule....no kicking without heeled boots....well....even if that peg is down it won't do much through my boots....its just gets me swearing a lot.....and scuffs up my boot......
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Wife and I would be too big for the bike, and my son is only 11 months, so no one else rides mine with me but me. I still have them handy and can put them back on when he is old enough though. Probably use the electric start by then though as I will be too old to want to kick.
Photo Gallery
Chopdoc

PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Pics:

pedal in 100_0685.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  325.16 KB
 Viewed:  1190 Time(s)

pedal in 100_0685.jpg

shocks pedal out 100_0684.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  399.85 KB
 Viewed:  798 Time(s)

shocks pedal out 100_0684.jpg

shocks pedal in 100_0678.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  401.99 KB
 Viewed:  837 Time(s)

shocks pedal in 100_0678.jpg

Chopdoc

PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

More Pics:

bare pedal 100_0689.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.76 KB
 Viewed:  1101 Time(s)

bare pedal 100_0689.jpg

pedal out 2 100_0682.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  348 KB
 Viewed:  984 Time(s)

pedal out 2 100_0682.jpg

Tomterrific

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Doctor Chop,

I am so impressed with this simple custom treatment. What a great modification to the kick petal. This is going to help some of the high compression big bore guys get their bike kicked that's for sure.

I agree completely about kick starting a bike. Air cooled, kick started forever.

Tom Graham
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

For those who didn't take the electric start off.....just touch the start button guickly as you kick it to help rotate it around......

John
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

John you can't say that this kick starter is not cool. I actually like it because the chance of slipping off it when it's wet out is a lot less.
look at the pictures for before and after

upload ks 2.jpg
 Description:
now look at the after picture with the popsicle on the kicker
 Filesize:  110.13 KB
 Viewed:  618 Time(s)

upload ks 2.jpg

upload ks 1.jpg
 Description:
look at the stock size compared to my hand
 Filesize:  101.79 KB
 Viewed:  552 Time(s)

upload ks 1.jpg

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

That has more rubber on it than my back tire.....you could start that in flip flops I bet......since I hurt my back playing tennis the kick starter is for emergencies only........even then I bump the starter button at the same time if the battery gets low........

John
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

did you upgrade to the aluminum button? For all you use that thing I think the plastic one would have worn out by now.
I was going to get the metal pedal style but kick back would have torn a new hole in my calf. I figure if this kicks like getting hit with fly swatter

cheers
Did you see my new stacks
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Never did a thing to mine......all the starting and stopping for testing and it just hits every time.......did change the gears behind the clutch a few years back........weather sucks now....parked it a 50,678 miles......nothing to fix.....do have some carbs to start messing for the pre 80's.......would think just the hot cylinder and correct shims.......4 different ones ....that should keep me busy.....just bought some cylinders on ebay for 11 dollars and that included shipping.......still has the factory cross hatch on them......couldn't have been run much.......

John
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Well.....my wife and my daughter both occasionally decorate the back of my bikes....so that isn't an option.....

I guess I could tell them to just hold on for dear life but I reall like my daughter and my wife does all the laundry and stuff......... Laughing

Years ago I had an old triumph tiger, my wife called me from work and said the car was broke down. It was only about a mile away so I grabbed a pillow for her to sit on and took the bike to go get her. Got busted by a motor cycle cop. He said there is not law requiring a passenger seat but there is a law requiring passenger pegs if you carry a passenger. It was all just neighborhood streets but he wouldnt let me off with a warning.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

I gota ticket in FL for no helmet on my own property.....the law stated back then "when the cycle was in motion".........that was a tough one to swallow too.....only 25 bucks then but never forgot it.....still pissed 35 years later.....

Got another one in Minnesota about 10 year ago.....parking too close to a fire plug.......only the bike was on private property 10 feet from the plug......only 35 bucks that time........still pissed also......

Daytona 1971....got arrested for loitering......no visable means of support......we all show up for bike week and they hauled us in .....charged us 30 bucks and turned us loose.....more than pissed about that one......

John
Photo Gallery
santiablo

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

thats just some bad luck with cops there! just do me a favor and make sure you distract all the asshole cops so i dont get busted for something dumb! atleast then you can say your puting your bad luck in to good use!!!
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3