650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Stock Parts > > Idea for gaskets

Idea for gaskets
    Forum Index -> Stock Parts
Wulf

PostPosted: March 4, 2005, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Idea for gaskets

Hey guys, I just got in a big order from MikesXS and was amazed at the prices and shipping time. Check 'em out. BTW, they are going to have a price increase effective March 30, '05 so go ahead and order now if ya need something. Right now they are far less expensive than anywhere else I've looked on the net but that could change. Anyway... what I was getting at is after receiving my stuff from them the other day I realized that I forgot to order the damn carb manifold to head gaskets. (one of the main things I needed.) Dammit man! Anyway as I was driving to work the other day, ( I manage an auto parts store) I remembered that we sell thermostat gaskets and such so I may be able to find one that is the right dimensions for the carb manifold to head gaskets. If I do find one that works I'll post the Felpro gasket number and that will be cheaper than having to order them. You can also buy regular gasket material and make your own, which lead to my next idea. I just ordered both side cover gaskets as well as oil sump and breather gaskets. Now before I go mounting these up I'm going to trace them out on the gasket material that we sell and I'll always have some inexpensive replacements available. Then I got to thinking about it and remembered that I have a scanner, so Hey! I can arange the gaskets on my scanner to make the most out of the space and then scan them in and save the image. That way I'll also aways have a template to trace and cut my own. I'll probably do that for the gaskets I forgot to order and make them from the originals anyway if I cant find a thermostat gasket at work. Just use a good new exacto knife for clean cuts and you can make a good hole punch from brake line tubing for about any size you need. Just cut the flair off the tubing and sharpen the edges to make a clean hole cut.
Wulf

Wulf

PostPosted: March 13, 2005, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Update for carb manifold gaskets

Ok, took the manifolds to work and found 3 Felpro water outlet (thermostat) gaskets that will work. Problem is, I forgot to write the part numbers down, so I'll update that in the next couple of days. Ride safe.
Wulf

650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 14, 2005, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for gaskets

Thanks for the info, I got to see if I can my wife to turn over some money. We are buying our first home in the next month or so and shes keeping all the money.
Photo Gallery
Taiji_Dat

PostPosted: June 27, 2005, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for gaskets

Great idea wulf!! I ended up cutting my own a few months ago but forgot to trace them for future needs.. I like your scanner idea and will keep that in mind. Will also be interested in seeing the part #'s for the thermstat gaskets if they fit..
Russo Crying or Very sad , as I wipe my eyes, She holds all the $$$ ? shakin my head in disbelief.... Hey when it comes to buying a home guess you got to do what you got to do... Hopefully that will end soon for ya.. hehe
PS> If your wife is looking over your shoulder reading this, I'm just kiddin. hehehe

not Razz
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Stock Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1