650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Do it yourself rake

Do it yourself rake
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
76xs

PostPosted: February 20, 2007, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Do it yourself rake

Has anyone done it? Is it that hard? If you have done it, how did you do it and how did it turn out. Were there any problems i should know about? It doesn't seem like it would be that dificult, but i have never done it.
Also i plan on a BW hardtail with 3.5 streach. Does anyone know how much rake i can get away with before i need longer fork tubes? Thanks MIKE
royfisk

PostPosted: February 21, 2007, 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

Mike first thing you need to do is check your state laws. In vermont for instance you need to take a straght edge and going parrelel to your forks and centered to the center of your axle, run the straight edge to the floor. now lay a frameing square flat on the floor and up to the center of your axle. Now you can measure the distance from axle center to the fork distance. vermont DOT says no more then 14"
76xs

PostPosted: February 21, 2007, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

I'm not trying to find the max rake. I'm sure i will not do anymore than 38 degrees rake. Probably less. Iguess my question is will i need longer fork tubes if i did a 38 degree rake?
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: February 21, 2007, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

I wouldn't try it myself. I'm working with someone who knows what they're doing. Not a good place to have a frame failure when you're running down the road. Also I would assume you need fork tubes a bit longer to keep enough ground clearance and to keep the bike level.
Photo Gallery
76xs

PostPosted: February 21, 2007, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

Well I thought i may need longer fork tubes at first but then i got to thinking, When i weld on the hardtail that may lower the frame in the back. If it does than the front would be a little higher, and if that was the case a person could rake the front with the stock length forks until the frame was level again. At this point i don't know this for sure since i have never done it, but i will find out when i get the hardtail welded on.
royfisk

PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

76 is your bike presently together or apart?? If the forks are off adjust the intire rear of the bike includeing rear wheel to the ride height you are looking for. Now place a magnetic angle finder on the neck of the frame and measure the angle. Now tape a piece of string( LONG ENOUGH TO REACH FRONT WHEEL) centered to the top of the neck. Now on the wheel end pull the string forward with the angle finder resting on the string to the deired rake. measure the lenghth of the string from top to axle. This will be your fork length needed to achieve your look. By the way I built a bike once with a hardtail and didnt change the rake at all and ran the 35mm forks for a bobber look, I also have a chopper hear with same frame configuration with 8 over forks.
76xs

PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

Thanks for the info. The bike is whole, but it is not here yet it is being shipped. I,m just trying to get all the info i can. Kinda a heads start on the project since i have never built one.
chazz

PostPosted: February 25, 2007, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

76xs wrote:
I'm not trying to find the max rake. I'm sure i will not do anymore than 38 degrees rake. Probably less. Iguess my question is will i need longer fork tubes if i did a 38 degree rake?

probably need 4" overs,depending on what frame you using,if you have a look at mine im going to do a 38' rake and i need 4" overs

Photo Gallery
buckroseau

PostPosted: April 25, 2007, 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

Hi...I'm a newbie here, but figured I would post a pic of the bike I built this winter.

I raked the front end out I think about to 38 degrees. I didn't do anything to special when I did it though. I had built a jig to hold the front 3rd, what was left of it. And then a jig to hold the rear axle in place in the rear triangles I made...while the whole jig was designed to hold the frame 4" up. After I had fabricated the frame I cut the lower gusset off the front, the 2 triangle gussets off the side and cut the top pipe next to the head tube in half and cut the lower 2 pipes completely off.

I then put the fork tubes and front tire on and pulled the fork tubes forward until the front tire was just about to leave the ground. Tacked it back up and welded everything solid. Then made new triangle gussets on the side that were a tad larger and thicker than the orginal, 1/8" thick.

Anyway, not sure if it's right or wrong...just what I did. Pic taken is without the seat covered, I had made the seat pan using chevy 350 valve springs for the rear suspension in the seat. Seat is now covered in black leather with a 1/2" of foam.

att

chop90.jpg
 Description:
Pic
 Filesize:  37.55 KB
 Viewed:  17643 Time(s)

chop90.jpg

Photo Gallery
bdbecker

PostPosted: November 28, 2007, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

Nice Victory tank on your chop Matt - factory paint and all!!!
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: November 28, 2007, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

That's definitely one of the nicest 650's I've seen.

Any more pictures or build thread?
xsleo

PostPosted: November 29, 2007, 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

i like the way your exhaust run up ,back then turns down cool

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: November 29, 2007, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

I chopped an xs850 a few years back. What I did was get lower shocks(cut the springs) and 8 inch over fork tubes, I put blocks of wood under the frame for the desired hight and cut the front down tubes with a sawzall.

The bike sagged down to the desired rake and I measured the gap in the tubes, then cut pieces of 5150 chromoly I had bought from some experimental aircraft guys and welded them in place. Worked perfectly and tracked straight.

If I remember correctly it was a 2 and 1/2 inch stretch on those tubes. The total cost for the scrap chromoly and the welding was less than 50 bucks.
Audy

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

what i did and i was only 17 it turned out awsome i cut almost althe way threw the frame just behinde the neck cutting up NOT DOWN then put a long bar very long its easer to keep it straight threw the neck and secure it tight so it doesnt move im asuming your changing the bearing race to a tapered bearing i tack welded the bar to my old bearing race how you do it is up to you Smile and start pulling the bar from the top and some one puling from the bottom keeping an eye on the bar for straightness use the back bone of the frame as a line when you have the rack you want cut a wedge that will fit in the space and weld it up an inch at a time from one side to another so it doesnt pull one way or the other . worked for me

cheers
deviltripex

PostPosted: November 27, 2009, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

what typ of forks will work on a 1974 yamaha 650xs trying to make it in a chopper and were could i get them at
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

Easiest way is to convert to '77 & up 35mm front end & get the 4" overs from Mikesxs.

Otherwise get forked by frank, whatever size you want!

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

deviltripex wrote:
what typ of forks will work on a 1974 yamaha 650xs trying to make it in a chopper and were could i get them at
a lot involved there, lenght of steering stem ect. but here's some with the same bearings any way ..... caveat emptor, use at your own risk, most of these aren't going to look a lot different than what you already have if you're thinking of a girder or springer fork you're not going to find a bolt on solution

Upper: 25 x 48 x 15.2 bearing
Lower: 30 x 48 x 15 bearing
Yamaha FZR400R
Yamaha SXR400
Yamaha SX500B/C/D/E (75-7Cool, TX500/A (73-74)
Yamaha XS550RK/RJ (82-83), XZ550RK/RJ (82-83)
Yamaha FZ600 (86-8Cool
Yamaha SRX600S/SC (86), SRX600T
Yamaha TX650/A (73-74)
Yamaha XJ650G/H//J/K (80-83), XJ650LH (81), XJ650LJ/LK/RJ (82-83)
Yamaha XS6501/1B/XS2 (70-72), XS650B-H/2F (75-81), XS650SE-SH (78-81), XS650SJ/SK (82-83)
Yamaha TX750 (73-74)
Yamaha XJ750J/K/MK/RH/RJ/RK (81-83)
Yamaha XV750H/J/K/MK (81-83), XV750SE (82)
Yamaha XV920J/K/MK (82-83), XV920RH/RJ (81-83)
Yamaha XV1000K/L Virago (83-84)

gordonscott

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself rake

Black/white bike is 40deg with stock length forks, the other is 42deg with stock length forks and the last one is 42deg with 2" under. Raking is NOT my favorite thing to do, for me was a pain in the ass, for others maybe no big deal? Depends on skill level and if you're a perfectionist or not.

cimg2441.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.75 KB
 Viewed:  564 Time(s)

cimg2441.jpg

cimg1970.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.11 KB
 Viewed:  559 Time(s)

cimg1970.jpg

cimg4759.jpg
 Description: