650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Electrical and Lighting > > Replacement for Stock Headlights

Replacement for Stock Headlights
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting
NMAXXS

PostPosted: May 4, 2005, 8:55 am    Post subject: Replacement for Stock Headlights

Anyone found a suitable replacement headlight for the XS650 (SG), including bucket/hardware that will support the mass of electrical cables?

ikesXS' are for tracker use.

Thanks,

Nick
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 5, 2005, 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

I'll check my files and get backto you.
Photo Gallery
Buzz

PostPosted: June 28, 2005, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

Nick,

As far as the lamp assembly goes I used a H6024XV halogen lamp its three times brighter and found at Pep Boys or Auto zone.

Buzz
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 18, 2006, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

What about running a 7in bucket from a Royal Enfield. I know if you go onto royalenfield.com you can look up there parts online. The bucket is fairly deep it's a nice chrome I don't see why it won't work. I know they have the halogen upgrade for it as well, if you want to go that route.

hope that helps

Cheers Kyle
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: September 18, 2006, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

kyle as i remember you would probably need to get longer mounts for enfield bucket, but it would work
rwreed

PostPosted: April 30, 2007, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

I used a Halogen replacement lamp from Mike's XS last year. worked great.

Bob

Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 30, 2007, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

I use the Triumph/Norton Lucas type shell,loads've room in there ,looks good too! Check the bike(s) in my gallery
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 30, 2007, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

xs1961- tell us a bit more about the 840 on your side covers. How strong is the engine and what has it got besides VM's and a big bore kit?

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 1, 2007, 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

Why not just cut the birds nest of idiot fuses, wire, connectors, and other assorted nonsense and wire it using only one fuse. Then you can use a 5 3/4 inch 35 dollar chrome special! All that wiring is just dead weight!
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 1, 2007, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

Couldnt agree with you more ttmaniac.Ive trimmed out all the spaghetti in my headlamps,I dont have an ignition switch - just a hidden on/off toggle switch, no indicators (never had em on my brit-bikes years ago,I always leave em on which I think is more dangerous)& just the 1 fuse under the r/hand panel.
Electrical problems(there are none) are a doddle to trace with this set-up!
Photo Gallery
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2007, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

t/t maniac if you have a "dummies" version of how to wire the bike with the ignition switch email it to me.. i would love to just have a easy wired bike.. however I would like to have the blinkers... just because my wife would dig a deep hole and put me in it if i didnt..those are her words ...

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

Just replaced the stock sealbeam with the halogen lamp-lens replacement assembly from Mikes on my new-to-me 78 XS 650 SE. Great lighting improvement, went in OK..... BUT......I too will be making more room in that housing as my privious list associates suggest. I've got a strong hunch that the "less is more" approach suggested will result in "SE" representing "Simplified Electrics"on my 650 Enough of the Bells & Whistles! Love the slogan of BMW Airheads...... "SIMPLA FI"

Fits old bikes and older bikers pretty well. Too bad we can't make em with a forge, anvil, leather and rivets.

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

I never do blinkers. I tried once but they kept going poof. In one of the posts someone gave good links to "chopper" wiring diagrams on the web for nothing. I think it was Gs or somebody. I still think I need to get cracking on the permanent 650rider wiring diagram seeing as so many are having trouble with this aspect of the bike. All it will be is the haynes diagrams minus the garbage though so it ain't like I'm any kind of expert. It's just the hassle of trying to see through the birdsnest on paper. In good time. I need to finish my own bike too. I hope me not having it ready to post now doesn't affect anyones bike build off entry. If it does, yell at me and I will get on it sooner.
Photo Gallery
blahcap

PostPosted: July 8, 2007, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

i just got the halogen light but when i took apart my headlight its all one peace where can i get a headlight assembly that takes the halogen light?
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

You have to look on Mikes, or just get a round halogen light like you have in the bike now. That is what I am using, and it works pretty well.
Photo Gallery
silverfox

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

go to a scrap yard and get one of a car their,s loades out here for a couple pounds
blahcap

PostPosted: July 13, 2007, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

35 bucks aint to bad. So if i get the 7" Halogen Lamp Kit i like the dimond cut style. that will take the bulb i got?
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

JC Whitney has halogen replacements. I used one on my KZ650 that I'm pretty sure would work on an XS.

www.jcwhitney.com/auto...16/c-10111

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

I have a Whitney one in mine, works fine.
borjawil

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

xs1961, just wondering if you could email me something on the wiring setup you have and how to do it. Not an electric wiz so keep that in mind. thanks

borjawil @ msu.edu just email it here Smile

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

How about these:

xsleo

PostPosted: April 25, 2009, 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

As a replacement headlight, I have a Candlepower, it uses an h-4 bulb in a new reflector.
It replaces the old sealed beam. It is very bright and on low beam it has a spot up and to the right to light up the side of the road. This helps you see people or animals on the roadside much better.
Here's a pic of it shining on the side of the house.
Here's a pic from the J&P catalog.

310-076_a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.54 KB
 Viewed:  417 Time(s)

310-076_a.jpg

headlight & gauges 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.85 KB
 Viewed:  399 Time(s)

headlight & gauges 002.jpg

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
1980xsRider

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

2 skinny,

I love the 2 light round option. Would love to do the simplified wiring, keeping the keyed ignition though, incorporating the blinkers into an LED tailight similar to the new HD V-Rod Muscles. Love this 650 bike, just hate always wondering when the electrical system is going to fail.
xsleo

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Stock Headlights

When I redid my wiring I took the wires out or the headlight bucket and cut the plugs off and hardwired them back together and pulled them back under the tank.
Now I only have the wires that actually need to be in the headlight, in there.
The wiring from both sides of the handle bars come down and under the tank. The wires to the dash go under tank.
I don't use the key switch any more, those wires just hang there, I added a on off key switch back by the battery. The battery feeds a 20 amp fuse that feeds the switch. The switch feeds a fuse panel with six blade type fuses. Each fuse feeds different circuits on the bike. A 10 amp fuse for most, one lights, one turn signals and brakes, One for the ignition relay, and one to feed the handle right side bar switches for kill switch, starter circuit, One for regulator/ alternator, One 5 amp for the horn.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2