650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Quote::
I started building my subframe/tail section. Please reserve judgement on this until it's done, remember that the actual tail section will resemble the KTM RC8 tail.

No judgment here.

Your imagination and skills are beyond any thing i have seen here, your willingness to take a step to the side and think out of the box and make it happen blows me away, and to spend so much time showing us pics with your tutorial is just Cool
I think you can be thrown into the old saying "To boldly go where no man has gone before"
Photo Gallery
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Thanks for the tremendous compliments, I just try to keep pushing myself all the time.

Got the tail section fully mocked up. It needs to be finish welded and smoothed, Then I'll skin it with sheetmetal, should look pretty cool.

As you can see I pulled inspiration from not only the RC8 but also from Rossi's current tail section. It's a little hard to see all the framing in the pics, but the tail doesn't come to a direct point, more like a duckbill that's about 3" wide.

Let me know whatcha think....

I feel this is the best shot to show the end result

thanks for looking
Sky
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

I love your builds man, awesome. No chance in hell of getting me to ride pillion though! lol
benjamoid14

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Hey yamachop i found some interesting info about the cush drive last night while wasting time surfing. I looks like the cush drive off a honde vf500 will fit into the cbr rear wheel, and the sprocket bolt pattern looks a lot smaller then the cbr. Look here for more info:

vfrworld.com/forums/fi...ble-2.html

Im not sure but i think it fits with no machining! Just need to get a custom sprocket Smile

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Yamaman- I briefly thought about making it capable of supporting a passenger so my wife could ride with me, but I think she's made it clear she's not going to ride on the back of anything I've built from scratch. She has no faith Smile

Ben- Big thanks for the info! I'm going to check it out and see what I can find.

thanks
Sky
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: October 24, 2009, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Not much on the bike build, but this last week has been really busy. I've been helping my father build an addition to his shop so we can have a metal working area. I'm super excited about this because it was really cramped in the shop currently as I'm sure you could tell from the pictures.

The other reason I was happy to be involved is that I know NOTHING about construction, I just don't do it. So here was a good project for my Dad to help me learn some stuff.

Enjoy the pictures:

It was a great thing to work on, got a lot done. The only things I have to do now is make some hinges for the doors and get those mounted. Then I can cut the door into the main shop and I'll be able to move all my stuff in.

A few notes about the shop- The wall on the left side has an opening for another window, we didn't have a window yet, so it's just covered with plywood for now.
The outside will eventually be painted the same color as the rest of the house, that's just a primer.
Why white/cream colored on the inside? Two reasons, one it will reflect light really well and look brighter inside, and two we had about 5 partially used gallons of paint in the garage and when we mixed them all together this is the color we got Smile

Thanks for looking and I'll post some more bike related stuff soon.
Sky
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 24, 2009, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Building is my day job. I come here to get away from work and what do i see Mad "how to Build" by Bob the Builder.

Now let me see and tell you where you went wrong.............. Just kidding Laughing . looks good.

If you intend to weld in there a mat finish paint helps to stop arc eye
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: October 24, 2009, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

what is this antique carpentry? What is that thing in you guys hands ( a hammer?) . Havent used one of those on wood in 10 years or more.
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: October 25, 2009, 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Finished up the doors today:

yea buddy, time to start moving in! Smile
klink

PostPosted: October 26, 2009, 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Oregon.....snow.....insulation?.....wood burning stove (heat)?. No, really nice job there....let me see ummm a cot and a stove and refrig and dang I'm ready to move in.
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: November 27, 2009, 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Whew! About time for an update wouldn't you say?

I worked more on the tail section. It wasn't quite straight before, so I had to cut some of it apart to straighten it. I'm much happier now. I also made some tabs to mount the tail-light and the seat. The seat is going to take some more work to finalize the mounting, but at least it stays in place now.

Then, to get an idea of what the tail is going to look like skinned up, I covered it with painters' tape Smile

Definitely achieved my goal of replicating the KTM RC8 tail!

I also worked some more on the turbo manifold. Because of the way it mounts, there's no way to make the manifold in one piece, so I made a sleeve. This sleeve will have tabs welded at the ends where it joins on the top and bottom with a spring between the tabs, just for extra insurance.

I also made the flanges where the tubes insert into the head:

Here you can see both the sleeve and the flanges:

Pretty happy with my stainless welding right now

Now that these items are done, all I have to do is get the turbo in its final mounting position, then I can tack the remainder of the manifold together, hooray! Smile

Also, I finally got some of my pieces cut at a friends who has a CNC plasma cutter.

I designed these parts in autocad and he cut them out. The plasma cutter is only precise to a point, these have definitely been cleaned up after cutting, but however it still can make some really cool parts. It's quite the cool feeling to design something on a computer then watch it being cut out. It's fabrication in another capacity.

The part on the bottom right is the baseplate for the sprocket adapter I'm building, this will be welded to the studs that screw into the factory holes. Obviously this will make the adapter non-removable. This is not optimal, but necessary for space reasons.

The part on the bottom left is the outer adapter ring that will be welded to the base ring. It will have studs welded in place for the actual sprocket.

All this work is necessary to run the extremely small 30t sprocket on the factory CBR F3 cush drive.

Also, because the sprocket adapter will take up space, the cush drive needed to be milled down, here's a shot of it after I milled it down:

The final part on the top is the turbine exhaust outlet flange.

Again, as soon as the turbo is mounted I'll be able to finish out the exhaust.

Stay tuned, lots of good stuff to come.
thanks
Sky
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

got to finish tacking together the turbo manifold today! Here's some pics:

On this side you can see the sleeve I made so the manifold can be removed in two pieces:

And I got the turbo mounting tabs in place, so the weight of the turbo is not hanging on the manifold. The manifold will have a couple extra mounting points as well.

With the turbo mounted I was able to work on the exhaust as well, 2.5" baby Smile With a turbo, the less exhuast the better, and that's the mantra I'm following:

The end will be slash cut a couple inches after it exits the subrame, just haven't cut it off yet.

I didn't like the swingarm pivot I made, so I decided to use a stock XS650 swingarm pivot, here's the piece:

It'll be all chopped up here shortly and I can start building the new swinger.

Here's a few shots of the bike mocked up again:

I think it looks cool with all the tubing running everywhere Smile and there'll be even more after I mount the intercooler and make the piping for that.

Also, I got a new tool the other day, check it out:

Little 3/8" drive impact. Supposed to be able to go all the way up to 85ft/lbs which is way more than I ever use. I bolt and unbolt a lot of stuff on this bike, and doing it with wrenches is soooo slow, decided to speed things up a bit! working awesome so far.

Thanks again for checking out my build, hope to have a new update soon.
Sky
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

More top quality work Sky, thanks again for the updates, looking real good, real good!

Hey Skull/Wally, does Kev (as in Kev's turbo) know about this build? Pretty sure he'd be interested! He might even be able to help Sky out with is alternator worries? Cheers

hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Nice progress! i like how pops is climbing the "ladder" and doing all that construction in flip flops! Both you guys are hardcore!
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Haha, that's how he rolls for sure Smile

My Dad is the inspiration for all of my projects. Ever since I can remember he's been building things because he doesn't want to pay for them out of a catalog. he's shown me that you can build almost anything you want if you put your mind into it.
He's not so much into cars/bikes, sailing is his thing, but the confidence that you can do it no matter what came from him.
oldkarkid

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so much a cafe racer, but the closest category.....

Far be it for me to tell you how to do something, but it might be a good idea to make sure that exhaust doesnt exit near, or onto the tire. It will get the tire too hot, and may cause failure. My dad had it happen to him with one of his heavy trucks and the tire blowout cost him bigtime. May be worth a side exhaust or something to make sure you dont cook your rear tire, too. Just my humble opinion, but it would be worth lookin into.

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3